This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF A GOOD PROBIE

WELL COULD IT BE A PROBIE WHO CLEANS UP AFTER EVERONE, TAKES OTHER FIREFIGHTERS BULL WITH NO DEFENCE, LISTENS AND ACTS WITH ON HOPE OF ADDING HIS OWN OPINION.
    NO, I THINK THIS IS A POOR EXAMPLE OF AN OFFICER
    WE CONSTANTLY READ ABOUT WORTHLESS PROBIES, AND AFTER 7 YEARS I UNDERSTAND THEIR ARE A FEW ,BUT IN TIME THEY CHANGE (OR MABEY NOT )
    BUT, WE HAVE TO REMEMBER POOR ATTITUDE IS THE CAUSE OF POOR LEADERSHIP.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I think that a probie should act in accordance to how he is treated. If he is treated like the lowest form of life he will convey that image to everyone.
    A probie should have the desire to do the job and the respect given to him by all members should given back over time.
    I know a probie can be a disappointment but only if he is allowed to continue in that manner. Leadership skills possesed by all officers he comes in contact should reflect from him in time.
    I was once told that the greatest thing another fireman can do for another is pass the knowledge of the job, the history of the tradition and the relationship of family to another. Probies need to learn that the respect he earns not only reflects the job he does or will do but what everyone before him and those who have died loved to do.

Comment

Good Proby/n./1.Large ears, small mouth

Comment

Good probie = the probie triangle
        rig
        coffee pot
        sink

Comment

LOL.....Love that answer, e229lt!!!!!!!

Comment

Ya know, it's a shame really, that anyone, "probie" or not, gets treated badly. From my adventures as a "probie" I've noticed that there is no real definition of a "good probie". Wherever you go, there is always going to be someone that doesn't like you no matter what, and on the other hand, there's always going to be someone you don't like, so for the "good probie", there is none. Some think that the "good probie" is the one who rolls all the hose when you're done, or the one that washes the trucks and packs the hosebed. Some may think that the "good probie" is the one that's egar to jump in and learn, or the one that does what they are asked, when they're asked to do it. To me, the real definition of a "good probie" is, someone that wants to serve their community, someone that is egar to learn new skills and practice old ones that may help them in an emergency situation. Someone that loves the job they're doing and someone that wants to be the best they can be at what they're doing, is my definition of a "good probie". It is also someone who has their life and what they want out of life in order. I believe that there is no true definition of a "good probie", just go out there and be the best you can be at what you love to do.

** These opinions are mine and do not
            reflect those of my company or it's
            members **
            Mallory
            Firefighter
            Montgomery Co. Station 74
            "When the pager goes beep-beep, it's time to ride the woo-woo"

Comment

Watches, Listens, Learns, follows orders without question and asks when they don't understand something = A good probie.

Comment

I have to agree with the previous post, but I'd like to add that he/she knows when to keep quiet -- i.e. when "senior" members are telling stories (and we've all heard them), he/she just listens and, whether or not they agree, they keep their mouth shut... There's nothing like a "know-it-all" probie....
                "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
                -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

All the above are good bu I have one thing to add. A "good probie" should at least have some intative to get involved somehow and not just stand around and chat. We are training 5 newbies now in my Dept. and one likes to wander off and chat instead of doing work. As a probie you should not be afraid to speak your mind but not to be the "I know everything probie" as well.

To put it simple, as a probie you should listening, watching, and asking questions. Not over on the side shooting the bull when there is work to be done.

Stay safe and keep your powder dry.
                  Jason Knecht
                  Firefighter/EMT
                  Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                  Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                  http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                  EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

-Bring me donuts.
                    -Be the first to get the phone.
                    -Make iced tea.
                    -Do the hard chores (Mop the floor).
                    -Act interested im my war stories.
                    -Not tell any war stories (they are boring).
                    -Not tell me my war stories are boring.
                    -Clean the poopie sheets on the cot.
                    -Buy a Play Station 2 and bring to work.
                    -Let me play.
                    -Alot.
                    -And rent cool games.
                    -Two words...Blue Bell.
                    -Two more...not chocolate.
                    -If you got time to lean you got time to clean.
                    -Have a pretty sister.
                    -That likes firemen.
                    -Alot.
                    -Have a fat sister.
                    -That can cook.
                    -Cookies.
                    -Bring me more donuts.
                    -With sprinkles.
                    -Give me the nozzle.
                    -Pull sheet rock.
                    -While I bang things with an axe.
                    -That dont really need a good bangin...but are getting one anyway.
                    -Give me the big piece of chicken.
                    -Let me play with the siren.
                    -And don't touch my radio.
                    -Just drive, and don't kill me.
                    -Shut up and eat it.
                    -And don't pick out the mushrooms.
                    -They are good for you.
                    -"This is the best meal I have ever had"
                    -Make it sound sincere.
                    -Bring me donuts.

Hope it made a giggle

My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Comment

Well, we have a bunch at the station now. This is what I tell them if they ask (and asking question is good).

1. Be on time: I don't want to beat you to shift.
                      2. Check with the ff you are relieving and see if he is ready to change out. If so, change out before anything else.
                      4. Most importanat, have a very positive attitude towards learning. I hate nothing more than a booter who complains about drilling or training.
                      5. If you don't know... ask or say something. Don't pretend you know when you don't, If you can't get a BP tell us and another ff will get it... then we will practice back at the station.
                      6. If you are told to slowdown and take a seat to relaxe or watch a movie with us... we are serious and it means you are doing a good job.
                      7. If we are messing with you it means we like you. Watch how we treat the others we have been on with for a while. You can joke back, but be careful.
                      8. If asked what do you know hoe to cook, PB and jelly is not an oppropriate answer. Find 3 easy recipies that are good and remember if you burn dinner your buying pizza (a rule for all FF not just probries).
                      9. Find projects that will keep you busy, you should always be busy till at least 1700. Studing is a good project, if you have questions about material you are studing, equipment, or SOPs ask a senior FF to go over it with you. Most FF are more than happy to help.
                      10. Never be the last to get out of bed or on the truck.
                      11. Never cook with mushrooms on my shift... I hate having to take benadryl .

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: Romania2 ]
                      Alan Romania, CEP
                      God bless America and those who stand with us
                      God have mercy on those who stand against us.

Comment

Okay, got to add a few more things I tell probies.

1. If for some reason I am not driving and in the back with you, you better be fast because i'll give you the knob (nozzle) once then you gotta beat me to it.
                        2. If you get your first car fire, house fire, code, etc. you will be buying ice cream.
                        3. If you have a chance to watch tv and it is on M.A.S.H. don't ever change the channel... even if no one else is watching it at the time. Doing so will be endangering your remote control hand and your life.
                        4. The Lazy boy closest to the bunk room belongs to a captian or senior ff (depending on shift) never be seen in it.
                        5. Don't believe the other ffs when they tell you I love mushrooms!
                        6. Tell me who told you I love mushrooms... I will take care of it .
                        7. The cheif's jokes are funny... really they are... at least for the next year or so.
                        8. No name... fair game
                        Alan Romania, CEP
                        God bless America and those who stand with us
                        God have mercy on those who stand against us.

Comment

I know how to chop the mushrooms up real small...you wont even taste em. My rookies girlfriend made cookies yesterday. He is such a good boy! And speaking of no name fair game....B shift left their food locker open again...know what the best flavor of blue bell is....B shift Blue Bell.
                          My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Comment

A good Probie,One that wants to learn and not one that trys to tell me how great they are.

Comment

Honestly I listen to what the new guys have to say (as long as it is constructive)
                              I also make sure and advise them that they should not but food for the guys just to try and fit in. They should fit in on their merits.
                              AS for as some knowing it all, I have seen a few but they need to be put in their place, just like the know it all vet.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X