Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

"When things go bad, you can breathe the air from the fog stream..."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "When things go bad, you can breathe the air from the fog stream..."

I keep hearing this, but has anyone actually survived a bad situation by doing this?

It makes utterly no sense to me...
    Two departments, twice the fun...

The fact that it makes no sense to you means you have at least half a brain, because all the air in the cone of a fog stream is what's been pulled in from the surrounding air. Anyone that believes you can do this is an idiot that knows nothing about firefighting. The movement of droplets in the fog pattern pull in surrounding smoke and products of combustion, so you will STILL get overcome by smoke. It may cool the smoke somewhat, but it will not add any oxygen. Ask anyone who tells you this to please tell you where the good air is coming from....

Comment

It's like a guy I heard telling a probationary class that they could "suck up fresh air from between the floorboards" if in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
        The fact that it makes no sense to you means you have at least half a brain, because all the air in the cone of a fog stream is what's been pulled in from the surrounding air. Anyone that believes you can do this is an idiot that knows nothing about firefighting. The movement of droplets in the fog pattern pull in surrounding smoke and products of combustion, so you will STILL get overcome by smoke. It may cool the smoke somewhat, but it will not add any oxygen. Ask anyone who tells you this to please tell you where the good air is coming from....
        I keep hearing it from firefighters with long amounts of service and various instructors.

I find it hard that being a newer guy(two volunteer departments; 6 years on one and just got on with the other) if I question this wisdom from a 20 year vet it'll reflect poorly on me, rightly or wrongly.

I just find it odd that something as critical as this is allowed to be told to newer members despite evidence to the contrary.
        Last edited by MikeG344; 05-16-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG344 View Post
          I just find it odd that something as critical as this is allowed to be told to newer members despite evidence to the contrary.
          Sounds like a good topic for a "Mythbusters" episode...

The problem will be setting up a realistic scenario so you could try it within your own department.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

What air? the smoke filled and super heated air that is in the room in question? Can you breathe it? sure, I guess. do you really want that superheated gases in your lungs, along with all that smoke? especially since all the "air" was just pulled from an IDLH. I mean, I guess in theory you can, but you are likely to suffer internal burns and other badness up to an including death as a direct result.

I would tell the people who tell you that "thank you for that advice, I'm going to stick to using my SCBA to provide my air, prevent myself from getting into a situation that is that bad, and if things get really bad, I will call for help, do my best to self extricate and jump out of a window and hang there, hoping someone gets a ladder up to me. This way I have a better chance for survival than trying to breath the air from the fog stream."

And FYI, NFPA doesn't certify instructors.
            If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Originally posted by drparasite View Post
              And FYI, NFPA doesn't certify instructors.
              Sorry, poor choice of words.

Comment

I've been hearing the same thing lately, not condoning it in the least in fact I think it's insane.... BUT if you were in a well vented structure by well vented I mean proper hole in the roof and doors open AND you were in the proper position with the fire in front of you and not to the side or behind then theoretically the air entrainment should improve conditions where YOU are.
                Again I'm not recommending this or condoning this just spent some thinking about it........... Flame away
                Get the first line into operation.

Comment

Originally posted by L-Webb View Post
                  IBUT if you were in a well vented structure by well vented I mean proper hole in the roof and doors open AND you were in the proper position with the fire in front of you and not to the side or behind then theoretically the air entrainment should improve conditions where YOU are.
                  Assuming everything is aligning perfectly as you are describing it, and the planets are all aligned, and the conditions are just perfect (we will ignore the "When things go bad" statement, since you are describing super ideal conditions), wouldn't you be able to breath normally without an SCBA, negating the need to get anywhere near the fog stream, since it would be pulling enough good air through all the openings in the structure?

And if this was the ideal circumstances, I don't think things would go bad, requiring you to do this incredibly stupid "breath from the fog stream" idea.
                  If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Originally posted by drparasite View Post
                    Assuming everything is aligning perfectly as you are describing it, and the planets are all aligned, and the conditions are just perfect (we will ignore the "When things go bad" statement, since you are describing super ideal conditions), wouldn't you be able to breath normally without an SCBA, negating the need to get anywhere near the fog stream, since it would be pulling enough good air through all the openings in the structure?

And if this was the ideal circumstances, I don't think things would go bad, requiring you to do this incredibly stupid "breath from the fog stream" idea.
                    I agree, and yes my description was super perfect as it would have to be for this to work
                    Get the first line into operation.

Comment

I suspect this whole concept (and I remember it from 40 years ago) may stem from a belief that the water itself may be carrying air that somehow becomes usable for a firefighter in need. Someone pitched the idea years ago and others have bought in.

I know that if the water is coming from a stagnant pond, I don't want my face next to the stream... And I've seen some pretty stinky ponds.
                      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG344 View Post
                        I keep hearing this, but has anyone actually survived a bad situation by doing this?

It makes utterly no sense to me...
                        I can't believe anyone still thinks this is fact. I was told this when I started in 1986, when we used 30+ degree fog streams. I suspect it was a theory borne of the attack from the unburned side and push the fire out through the already burned. Based on the assumption that there was clean air at your back and being pulled forward into the fog stream. Anyone who thinks this is still the way things work needs some training updates or a plaque and a smack on the azz.

Comment

I never had to use this tactic. I thought it might be a school of thought that believes the turbulence caused by the water might have clean air for a brief moment.

It never made sense to me.
                          They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Well fellows at FDIC this year there was a gizmo for sale that you attach behind the nozzle that allowed you to breath off from the hoseline. BUT, you had to tell the pump operator to shut off the water, switch to filling the hoseline with air, the nozzle person had to bleed the water from the line, and then you hooked a hose on your pack and to the connection on the hoseline. It was designed for those times when you were trapped and low on air.

Interesting idea, but I wondered how it would work if you needed the hoseline to protect yourself.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I'm sure all of that can be done in a calm and cool manner while one is being asphyxiated.
                              They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90