Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

long driveway lay or shuttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L-Webb View Post
    Interesting, I have actually never seen a tanker without a pump. But I reckon that would cause some issues with my setup.
    In general, you'll find 1250/1000 engines here, and 2000 gallon tankers - often "bikini" set-ups. Very few tankers here are set up such that one could connect a length of 2.5" suction and draft directly from the tanker. The pump on some is just a portable pump plumbed into the tank. But virtually all are carrying a drop tank.
    Originally posted by L-Webb View Post
    Pumper\tankers are really popular around here and in GA, Saw one the other day that was new that held 3000 gallons and had a 1500 gmp pump
    Very few engines with larger than a 1000 gallon tank in this area. A few are set up with dumps, but not many. The trend never really caught on here. They were popular in Michigan for a while, too.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
      In general, you'll find 1250/1000 engines here, and 2000 gallon tankers - often "bikini" set-ups. Very few tankers here are set up such that one could connect a length of 2.5" suction and draft directly from the tanker. The pump on some is just a portable pump plumbed into the tank. But virtually all are carrying a drop tank.

Very few engines with larger than a 1000 gallon tank in this area. A few are set up with dumps, but not many. The trend never really caught on here. They were popular in Michigan for a while, too.
      Its neat how the needs of the area cause such drastic differences in equipment. At least it is to me.

Here, I cant think of a first due engine with less than 1500 gals. Our only truck with less is the brush truck. Our old tanker is 2000 with a 1000 gpm pump. Our new one is 3000 gal with a *EDIT - just looked, ITS 1500 gpm pump*.
      Last edited by JSJJ388; 08-23-2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

But if it has a pump isn't a pumper vs a tender?

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
          I would opine that if it meets the equipment requirements for a pumper (ladders, hose, tools, etc) then yes, it could be considered a pumper. I suppose it depends on the department's primary use for the vehicle. If they bought it to haul water and equipped it with a pump "just in case," then it's a tanker. If they bought it as an initial attack vehicle, then it's a pumper, or pumper/tanker.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
            I guess you could classify it as a pumper, but it doesnt have the discharges that a typical pumper has. It has 1 rear hose reel and 1 5" connection on each side, carries no hose other than the reel.

Comment

Our tankers have a 1000gpm fire-pump and one pre-connect. They don't carry ladders or supply line so they are not credited as a pumper.. The pump gives the option to:
              - nurse the first due engine if the tanker beats the second due engine to the scene.
              - fight a brush fire alongside the brush trucks.
              - put out a house fire because the engine was on a medical local or car crash.

All of the above have happened with varying frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Old View Post
                I don't think our tanker has ever been first in on a structure fire, but there is hose on board, albeit rolled in a compartment. The others, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Old View Post
                  Our tankers have a 1000gpm fire-pump and one pre-connect. They don't carry ladders or supply line so they are not credited as a pumper.. The pump gives the option to:
                  - nurse the first due engine if the tanker beats the second due engine to the scene.
                  - fight a brush fire alongside the brush trucks.
                  - put out a house fire because the engine was on a medical local or car crash.

It's pretty typical around here for tankers to have a pump of at least 500gpm and at least 2 handlines, and often a booster reel. Often the departments will respond them, to brush fires, instead of engines, along with the brush trucks.
                  Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

The majority of new tenders in my area are being built with rated fire pumps. Usually in the 500 to 1000 gpm range but some 1500 gpm pumps thrown in here and there. The rest have smaller gasoline powered portable pumps, usually 250 gpm but up to 500 gpm.

Honestly I see little value in a tender that can't supply at least a couple of handlines or flow at least 500 gpm to supply an engine. My volly FDs current tender is set up to run not only as a tender but as a 3rd out engine complete with a 1000gpm pump and all NFPA engine company equipment.
                    Crazy, but that's how it goes
                    Millions of people living as foes
                    Maybe it's not too late
                    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

• The only reason a neighboring FD specified a pump (and foam) on their new tanker some years ago was because their usual MVA engine ran out of water at an MVA where one of the cars caught fire. The occupants were likely already dead, but the specs for what would be the replacement tanker included a pump and foam. It was supposed to become first due for MVAs.

One problem with tankers that can fight fire is that they can get buried at the scene fighting fire when they should be doing what they were intended to do - haul water. Handling issues notwithstanding, sometimes the tanker is a truck that many can drive, so it's often the first out the door.

Comment

• Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                        The only reason a neighboring FD specified a pump (and foam) on their new tanker some years ago was because their usual MVA engine ran out of water at an MVA where one of the cars caught fire. The occupants were likely already dead, but the specs for what would be the replacement tanker included a pump and foam. It was supposed to become first due for MVAs.

One problem with tankers that can fight fire is that they can get buried at the scene fighting fire when they should be doing what they were intended to do - haul water. Handling issues notwithstanding, sometimes the tanker is a truck that many can drive, so it's often the first out the door.
                        Our older tanker was spec'd by the old Chief with exactly your reasoning in the second paragraph in mind. It rarely gets used now, because that's ALL it can do, just haul water.
                        Our newer engine tanker can handle a multitude of roles as the situation needs, and is often requested or our first automatic aid piece. We can use it as an attack engine, to draft, to relay, to shuttle, be a nurse tank, we even have enough that a compartment can be temporarily repurposed to hold a combo tool and cribbing to fill in for our rescue engine if it happens to be out of service for any reason. We now try to overlap our equipment so that if one piece is down, we haven't lost much capability.
                        There's no point of having 2-3000 gallons of water show up to a fire without any means of putting in on the fire. I get that some dept's don't have the need or want to go as far as we did, but it helps with our ISO rating and gives us flexibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

Dude seriously. You came back here a MONTH after my last post to restart the argument and you call me contentious. Pot meet kettle.

I never said the relay wouldn't work, what i said was if you didn't account for a water supply while it was being set-up it wouldn't matter anyways.
                          Sometimes I'm not here for a month, so I haven't seen your reply until then. Guess what, I do other stuff when I'm not here, which is most of the time. You get a response on my time, not yours.

And I covered the part about water supply, we have automatic response, so it's on it's way with the initial dispatch. And more tankers if we get additional info suggesting we may need more.

Comment

• Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

So the fire is right next to the fire station and you have all of the rigs staffed when the call comes in? Because unless your first rig up that 2500 foot driveway has 2500 feet of LDH on board you will no way get that hose laid in 10 minutes, get the fold a tank dropped, draft engine set up, and water dumped into the tank in 10 minutes, let alone fill 2500 feet of hose with water. You for sure are not filling that 2500 feet of hose with a 1000 gallon tank from an engine.

You are trying too hard to sell your plan with a ludicrous time frame.
                            NOWHERE did I say I was filling 2500' of hose from a 1,000 gallon engine. Evidently you missed the part about automatic response of several tankers... Nor do we have to drop a dump tank, guess you've not heard of using a tanker as a nurse tank....Having the station staffed has nothing to do with it, we're talking about on the scene.
                            See, you just keep attacking...

Comment

• Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                              Sure, that's a risk, but IMHO not a great one. A pumper-tanker stuck in the supply-pumper role just means dispatch has to add another tanker to the assignment. Plenty of time to get that to the scene if everyone else shows up.

​​​​​​This past week a neighboring department had a mid-morning housefire. Worst case scenario, house at the end of a rural driveway on a peninsula with the next due company 20min out. The local department' got out with four on the engine and a 'mature' gentleman on their 2500gal pumper/tanker right behind them. They laid out down the driveway and he just hooked up to nurse the attack piece. By the time the next due tanker arrived an incoming crew had assisted the tanker driver to set up a porta-tank and a suction. Sure, that tanker was out of the rotation and ended up tethered to the supply engine assignment, but that was no loss as there was a line of 3500gal units in staging by the time he would have been needed in the shuttle.
                              Last edited by Too_Old; 08-28-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Too_Old View Post

Sure, that's a risk, but IMHO not a great one. A pumper-tanker stuck in the supply-pumper role just means dispatch has to add another tanker to the assignment. Plenty of time to get that to the scene if everyone else shows up.

​​​​​​This past week a neighboring department had a mid-morning housefire. Worst case scenario, house at the end of a rural driveway on a peninsula with the next due company 20min out. The local department' got out with four on the engine and a 'mature' gentleman on their 2500gal pumper/tanker right behind them. They laid out down the driveway and he just hooked up to nurse the attack piece. By the time the next due tanker arrived an incoming crew had assisted the tanker driver to set up a porta-tank and a suction. Sure, that tanker was out of the rotation and ended up tethered to the supply engine assignment, but that was no loss as there was a line of 3500gal units in staging by the time he would have been needed.
                                Well since most of the tankers around here are pumper tankers, that's not a problem. Some of the departments we run with aren't good at drafting, so with our older tanker, it would just sit there until an engine that could draft showed up. The next county over likes to use a nurse tanker setup, they don't use dump tanks much, so again, that tanker is useless.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X