Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

long driveway lay or shuttle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

My point was and still is no matter how good you think you are at setting up a relay it takes time. More time in the rural where tenders, folding tanks and drafting are involved. Running an engine and a tender up there buys time. In all reality with 4000 gallons if you haven' put the fire out you lost the house anyways.

Your 3550 foot lay sucked up around 4000 gallons of water just filling hose. Pretty costly in a tender ops fire.
    EVERYTHING is going to take some time, certain situations lend themselves to a particular method more than others, I don't know why you don't want to acknowledge that. The long lay was just an example, and a training exercise at that. And we've used 90-100,000 gallons on some fires involving larger structures. So in a case like that, 4,000 isn't much.

Dude, it's just another tool in the tool box.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post

EVERYTHING is going to take some time, certain situations lend themselves to a particular method more than others, I don't know why you don't want to acknowledge that. The long lay was just an example, and a training exercise at that. And we've used 90-100,000 gallons on some fires involving larger structures. So in a case like that, 4,000 isn't much.

Dude, it's just another tool in the tool box.
      I never said it wasn't, but you seem determined to prove me wrong for some reason.

But let me ask you this. Can you lay out a 2500 foot relay and get water flowing faster than you can run a tender up the driver and have the attack engine nurse off from it? I am not saying that you shouldn't set up the relay if there water supply is still needed. What I am saying is that initial hit may extinguish the fire or buy time until you have more water.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

But let me ask you this. Can you lay out a 2500 foot relay and get water flowing faster than you can run a tender up the driver and have the attack engine nurse off from it? I am not saying that you shouldn't set up the relay if there water supply is still needed. What I am saying is that initial hit may extinguish the fire or buy time until you have more water.
        I would opine that this is yet another "it depends" situation where your actions are going to be determined by the situation. The three thousand gallons between the engine and the tanker may be enough to deal with the situation in its entirety, with no need for any other apparatus.

Or it may just be enough to make the fire mad, as they say. Presumably the first-in officer can make that call based on all the usual parameters (involvement, incoming apparatus, exposures, etc and so on).

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
          I would opine that this is yet another "it depends" situation where your actions are going to be determined by the situation. The three thousand gallons between the engine and the tanker may be enough to deal with the situation in its entirety, with no need for any other apparatus.

Or it may just be enough to make the fire mad, as they say. Presumably the first-in officer can make that call based on all the usual parameters (involvement, incoming apparatus, exposures, etc and so on).

Make the fire mad?

I'm sorry but I have no idea what that means. If you put the water in the right place, at the right rate(GPM), in the right form (stright or fog), how does water make a fire mad?

I have no idea how applying water to a burning structure can make the fire worse, unless you aren't close to hitting the fire.
          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Make the fire mad?
            Not having the resources to deal with the amount of involvement.

The reference is to hitting a fellow, but not hard enough to knock him out - all you do is make him mad.

If I recall the formula correctly a half-involved 60 x 100 barn will need 1000 GPM for ten minutes (and that's for a single story). That 3000 gallons may buy you time, but it's not going to come close to putting the fire out. Even if that 1000 GPM is perfectly placed - while it lasts.

Comment

Not having the resources to deal with the amount of involvement.

The reference is to hitting a fellow, but not hard enough to knock him out - all you do is make him mad.

If I recall the formula correctly a half-involved 60 x 100 barn will need 1000 GPM for ten minutes (and that's for a single story). That 3000 gallons may buy you time, but it's not going to come close to putting the fire out. Even if that 1000 GPM is perfectly placed - while it lasts.
              Okay now you have changed the matrix of the original discussion. Originally we were talking about a house with a 2500 foot driveway. But since you have brought the barn fire into it. How about this, how long can you keep the house, or machine shed, or second barn from catching on fire with 1000 gallons of water versus 3,000 or 4,000 gallons of water while the relay is being set-up?

Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Okay now you have changed the matrix of the original discussion. Originally we were talking about a house with a 2500 foot driveway. But since you have brought the barn fire into it. How about this, how long can you keep the house, or machine shed, or second barn from catching on fire with 1000 gallons of water versus 3,000 or 4,000 gallons of water while the relay is being set-up?

For a while.

My take on this discussion has been an either/or - either we lay line, or we don't.

It really comes down to resources. If I have 2500 feet of LDH readily available, and the people and water to make it work, I'll likely still run that first tanker in with the engine, but I'm going to get the line down and working. If I don't have the resources, and there's room to turn tankers at the end, the hose may stay on the trucks.

Actually, I may run that first tanker in, drop a port-a-pond, dump the tanker and get it back out of there. The pond will still provide a 1500 to 2000 gallon reserve.

Like I said, it depends, no matter whether it's a house, or a barn, or any other building bigger than what that first 1000 gallons on the engine will handle.

Comment

For a while.

My take on this discussion has been an either/or - either we lay line, or we don't.

It really comes down to resources. If I have 2500 feet of LDH readily available, and the people and water to make it work, I'll likely still run that first tanker in with the engine, but I'm going to get the line down and working. If I don't have the resources, and there's room to turn tankers at the end, the hose may stay on the trucks.

Actually, I may run that first tanker in, drop a port-a-pond, dump the tanker and get it back out of there. The pond will still provide a 1500 to 2000 gallon reserve.

Like I said, it depends, no matter whether it's a house, or a barn, or any other building bigger than what that first 1000 gallons on the engine will handle.

I never said not to lay the line, what I said was simply that a relay takes time to establish and 2500 feet of 5 inch hose would suck up the first 2500 gallons of water simply filling the hose with water. In my area that would mean either no water making it to the fire from the first tender dump or roughly 500 gallons making it from the first dump depending on the tender.

If the fire calls for more water than the one tender up the driveway can supply then it 100% makes sense to set-up a relay. I guess I would question your statement that you would have them dump and then leave. If there is room to maneuver then just do a tender shuttle. Also that tender driving back down the driveway would be in the way of any rig laying in for the relay. Like I said in an earlier post I would just have the supply engine pump to the tender at the scene, in essence using it as the dump tank and have the tender supply the attack engine. That way you have a reservoir at the fire in case the relay has problems.

There are a thousand ways to do something, some more efficient than others. Circumstances, staffing, and equipment can sometimes make the decisions before you do.
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Exactly. We also run foam in both of our engines, so we have extra capability with that. If it's just one structure like a house, it may be better to put all your water at the fire. But if it's a large structure or a group of structures that may require multiple streams, it may be better to deck gun it with the first engine and then get the relay established.

Comment

I never said it wasn't, but you seem determined to prove me wrong for some reason.

If we had to, and the conditions were right, we could do a 2500 foot relay with the hose we have on the first two engines. We would have to have 300' of that as dual 3" lines, but that wouldn't be hard to do. But like I said, it depends on the situation. Conditions could change just due to time of day.

Comment

If we had to, and the conditions were right, we could do a 2500 foot relay with the hose we have on the first two engines. We would have to have 300' of that as dual 3" lines, but that wouldn't be hard to do. But like I said, it depends on the situation. Conditions could change just due to time of day.
                        Dude do whatever you want. Frankly it has zero impact on me.

If my on scene water isn't enough to attack and control the fire I am going to go to exposure protection FIRST and as more water becomes available then attack the fire.

Obviously potential victims change that plan.
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Dude do whatever you want. Frankly it has zero impact on me.

If my on scene water isn't enough to attack and control the fire I am going to go to exposure protection FIRST and as more water becomes available then attack the fire.

Obviously potential victims change that plan.
                          I really don't know why you want to be so argumentative with me. I'm saying the same thing everybody else is, there are a BUNCH of options. I guess you just don't like it when I say it...

Comment

I really don't know why you want to be so argumentative with me. I'm saying the same thing everybody else is, there are a BUNCH of options. I guess you just don't like it when I say it...
                            It's funny, in a sad pathetic kind of way, that you are accusing me of being argumentative. Until your latest posts my last comment was June 11, over a month and a half ago. You can't seem to let it go. I have said multiple times there are different options, yet you still want to battle.

You want to run one engine up the driveway laying LDH, with how many other rigs leaded to finish the layout. I would run a tender up with the engine to give me 4000 gallons of water and then do a relay if it was still needed.

Are you done now or will you battle on?
                            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

It's funny, in a sad pathetic kind of way, that you are accusing me of being argumentative. Until your latest posts my last comment was June 11, over a month and a half ago. You can't seem to let it go. I have said multiple times there are different options, yet you still want to battle.

You want to run one engine up the driveway laying LDH, with how many other rigs leaded to finish the layout. I would run a tender up with the engine to give me 4000 gallons of water and then do a relay if it was still needed.

Are you done now or will you battle on?
                              I see you're still misquoting me. I said it DEPENDS on the situation. I may do either. But again, you start off with attacking me, then wonder why I defend myself...
                              Oh BTW, I don't rush back here just to reply to you, I have a life.

Comment

I see you're still misquoting me. I said it DEPENDS on the situation. I may do either. But again, you start off with attacking me, then wonder why I defend myself...
                                Oh BTW, I don't rush back here just to reply to you, I have a life.

Look do whatever you want. I don't care. We aren't on the same department or even in the same state. I eagerly await your next post a month from now telling me that by saying this I am somehow wrong too.

Seriously, learn to relax and enjoy your marvelous life.
                                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader