Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

long driveway lay or shuttle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • long driveway lay or shuttle?

    My Fire Dept is currently pre planning a house where there is a driveway thats roughly 2500ft long. The driveway is also very narrow, so only one truck can go up it at a time. The house is a large timber house with no suppression system on site. There is a small turn around spot where we could stage and turn around tankers but can only put two or three up at a time. Question is do we try relay pumping with three engines or shuttle tankers and stage them? keep in mind were in a rural area where it takes time to get apparatus on scene.

  • #2
    any ponds where you could install a dry hydrant ?
    ?

    Comment


    • #3
      None at all... we'd have to shuttle from a nearby pond

      Comment


      • #4
        None at all. We'd have to shuttle water in

        Comment


        • #5
          by the time you get a couple of engines spaced out and hooked up to relay pump --you could have a drop tank set up close and maybe be doing some good ---one thing to remember about the long driveway lays is ldh takes about a gallon a foot so 2500 lay will take about 2500 gallons just to fill it
          ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Not related to the question directly but in a way it is. I often wonder why we let people get away with this nonsense. Long narrow driveways, no place to set up decently to fight their fire, no water supply and no fire suppression systems. I believe it is high time we start demanding better access and either an on sight water supply or a fire suppression system. Or how about this idea. Sure you can have a driveway over 500 feet long BUT, you must put in an underground water main with a fire department connection at each end that the FD can hook up to and pump from the road up to the attack engine.

            Rant off. Seriously answer to your question. Tenders. For a single family dwelling by the time you set up a 2500 foot relay and get enough water on scene to fill it you won't need it because the house will be pretty much gone.
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 18firefighter16 View Post
              My Fire Dept is currently pre planning a house where there is a driveway thats roughly 2500ft long. The driveway is also very narrow, so only one truck can go up it at a time. The house is a large timber house with no suppression system on site. There is a small turn around spot where we could stage and turn around tankers but can only put two or three up at a time. Question is do we try relay pumping with three engines or shuttle tankers and stage them? keep in mind were in a rural area where it takes time to get apparatus on scene.
              So what would you say the response time would be to this house??

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                Not related to the question directly but in a way it is. I often wonder why we let people get away with this nonsense. Long narrow driveways, no place to set up decently to fight their fire, no water supply and no fire suppression systems. I believe it is high time we start demanding better access and either an on sight water supply or a fire suppression system. Or how about this idea. Sure you can have a driveway over 500 feet long BUT, you must put in an underground water main with a fire department connection at each end that the FD can hook up to and pump from the road up to the attack engine.

                Rant off. Seriously answer to your question. Tenders. For a single family dwelling by the time you set up a 2500 foot relay and get enough water on scene to fill it you won't need it because the house will be pretty much gone.
                Because this is America !!

                People can build on a cliff and watch thier house fall into the ocean

                People build up to brush and trees and watch thier house burn up in a wildland fire

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fire5555 View Post

                  Because this is America !!

                  People can build on a cliff and watch thier house fall into the ocean

                  People build up to brush and trees and watch thier house burn up in a wildland fire
                  I'm sure you are being facetious. Frankly I am tired of people building houses where floods wipe them out every few years, or on cliffs where they fall into the ocean from a mud slide, or in places where wildfires burn them to the ground every couple of years. I wouldn't care except our Brother and Sister Firefighters are expected to save them when their stupidity puts them in harms way. And then the feds are funding recovery efforts.
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    To answer fire5555 question I'd say it would take between 5-7min for apparatus to arrive on scene from our first due but mutual aid is closer so probably like 4 for them. I'm also thinking the same for tenders.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 18firefighter16 View Post
                      To answer fire5555 question I'd say it would take between 5-7min for apparatus to arrive on scene from our first due but mutual aid is closer so probably like 4 for them. I'm also thinking the same for tenders.
                      I was just wondering if there would be much left, once you got there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                        Not related to the question directly but in a way it is. I often wonder why we let people get away with this nonsense. Long narrow driveways, no place to set up decently to fight their fire, no water supply and no fire suppression systems. I believe it is high time we start demanding better access and either an on sight water supply or a fire suppression system. Or how about this idea. Sure you can have a driveway over 500 feet long BUT, you must put in an underground water main with a fire department connection at each end that the FD can hook up to and pump from the road up to the attack engine.
                        Probably more economical to order in a 20,000gal underground holding tank. We have a couple of facilities and homes in our service area that have on-site tanks with a dry hydrant. While not recognized by ISO, I believe individual insurance companies credit availability of a source for suppression water.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Too_Old View Post

                          Probably more economical to order in a 20,000gal underground holding tank. We have a couple of facilities and homes in our service area that have on-site tanks with a dry hydrant. While not recognized by ISO, I believe individual insurance companies credit availability of a source for suppression water.
                          Installing and maintaining such a tank doesn't sound all that economical to me. And they would still be relying on the FD to show up and effectively use that water on an actively burning fire. A sprinkler system would begin suppression almost immediately.

                          The tank may help save a portion of the structure but it won't save any lives. The sprinklers will save almost all of the structure. And possibly some lives.

                          For me it is not even worth debating.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Does this house use water from a municipal water supply? If so, would it be capable for sprinklers? If the water supply is capable, then encourage the property owner to install fire sprinklers.

                            While we are on this subject, homeowners can justify spending cash on a lawn sprinkling system, but not fire sprinklers in their home.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by captnjak View Post

                              Installing and maintaining such a tank doesn't sound all that economical to me. And they would still be relying on the FD to show up and effectively use that water on an actively burning fire. A sprinkler system would begin suppression almost immediately.

                              The tank may help save a portion of the structure but it won't save any lives. The sprinklers will save almost all of the structure. And possibly some lives.

                              For me it is not even worth debating.
                              My post was in response to the suggestion to require a pipeline for the length of the driveway, not an alternative to a sprinkler system.

                              NFPA 13R sprinklers are an escape system designed to increase the occupants odds of escaping a fire. They are not designed to protect the structure against every kind of fire conceivable. Even with a sprinkler system, you are still going to need a water supply suitable to put out the fire.

                              These underground fiberglass cisterns require very little maintenance. They are below the frost line and have no moving parts. The plumbing is pretty much a dry-hydrant that goes into the sump sump and a screened off air intake. The homeowners or homeowners association make sure the tanks are topped off, and that the intake screen is clean. Once in a while we drill on the tank to make sure the driver can get a draft. This is not drinking water, this is purely for suppression.

                              Sure, would be nice to have a hydrant every 500ft. But that's just not gonna happen in many rural areas.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              300x600 Forums Only

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Lower 970x90

                              Collapse

                              Lower 728x90

                              Collapse

                              Lower 300x50

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X