Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Training in a complacent department

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training in a complacent department

I am on a very small combination department were most people are old and not as active and don't seem to care anymore. I try to set up training but nobody is interested and I am told nothing happens in the town so don't worry about it. I am currently a volunteer in the town but am trying to get on a career department and would like to keep my skills up so what are some drills I can do one my own?

Originally posted by fire5555
    find a couple of people that do care and just train with them
    The problem is there are none unfortunately

Comment

Alas, it's a common tale.

You're faced with a double curse - low call volume and a crew that figures they've seen all there is to see.

First step is to see if you can get the leadership behind you.

Spend time on the various fire-related sites. See what the trends are (have you seen the new composite/I-beam 2x4's?). Tease them with printouts of on-line articles, especially those that relate to your coverage area. Initiate some "kitchen table" chat on them. Try to get an outside expert or two to give presentations.

Also consider statutory requirements, like the "OSHA 8 Hour Refresher." Your OSHA inspector will love you if you can't show it happened. I put together a training day with a variety of speakers. It's open to all fire departments and is generally well attended. Several other departments in the county do the same thing.

Speaking of other departments - try to get them involved. Nothing like some joint training.

Obtain the IFSTA company drills book - plenty of short, simple exercises. Similar drills are available on other sites (Firehouse, Firefighter Close Calls, etc) as well.

If you operate extrication tools, check out the University of Extrication and the timed drill ("Phases") therein. Get some cars and get some good natured competition going.

Air consumption drills - play basketball or dodgeball in the truck bays. On air.
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post

You're faced with a double curse - low call volume and a crew that figures they've seen all there is to see.

First step is to see if you can get the leadership behind you.

Spend time on the various fire-related sites. See what the trends are (have you seen the new composite/I-beam 2x4's?). Tease them with printouts of on-line articles, especially those that relate to your coverage area. Initiate some "kitchen table" chat on them. Try to get an outside expert or two to give presentations.

Also consider statutory requirements, like the "OSHA 8 Hour Refresher." Your OSHA inspector will love you if you can't show it happened. I put together a training day with a variety of speakers. It's open to all fire departments and is generally well attended. Several other departments in the county do the same thing.

Speaking of other departments - try to get them involved. Nothing like some joint training.

Obtain the IFSTA company drills book - plenty of short, simple exercises. Similar drills are available on other sites (Firehouse, Firefighter Close Calls, etc) as well.

If you operate extrication tools, check out the University of Extrication and the timed drill ("Phases") therein. Get some cars and get some good natured competition going.

Air consumption drills - play basketball or dodgeball in the truck bays. On air.
        I've tried to get drills set up and I have set some up myself and still nobody shows up. When I do try to bring up new methods or just try to initiate talk about the fire service I'm told to not worry about it and there is no point in trying to care about that stuff all they want to talk about is what new fd shirt they got and lights they put on their car. I am stuck in a department that just wants to play firefighter and are scared when it comes time to actually do something. It has come to the point that I do not even want to respond to the few calls we are allowed to run because I do not feel safe on a scene with them

Comment

If there are any benefits you can get (training hours, references, certifications they will pay for you to get), then use them for what they are worth. You can use them as a reference when applying for a career department; if they are looking for people with prior experience.

If this department is solely a surround and drown, then it's not as dangerous as it sounds. If interior operations are expected outa them, someone is going to get hurt. If there is no reward, then there should be no risk?

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post

Spend time on the various fire-related sites

I'm going to second what Tree wrote. There are plenty of websites to get training drills from - both FireEngineering.com and Firehouse.com have a drill of the week where you can get ideas from. Also, call up your AMA (or closest) fire department and set up a mutual drill night. It could be as simple as going over each other's rigs so you know what equipment they carry.

Comment

Do whatever you can to get trained yourself. Go to outside classes, even if your FD won't pay for them. recruit others to train with you, even if the majority won't. The laziness or apathy of others does not have to become who you are.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader