Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Did deficient crew size affect your actions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'll ignore your comment on shafting Union firefighters. I am Union born and bred, and was the VP of my IAFF local.

Most chiefs are former union members. They are usually the worst when it comes to shafting the rank and file .
    Holy CRAP SC! We may actually have found something we can agree on.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Most chiefs are former union members. They are usually the worst when it comes to shafting the rank and file .
      It happens on the volunteer side, too. Elect a former chief to the board of fire commissioners and watch out...

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

Holy CRAP SC! We may actually have found something we can agree on.
        Here's the money quote from a fire chief when something goes wrong that probably could have been prevented. Especially if the catastrophe was caused by using reduced staffing of using lesser qualified individuals.

"I've been in the fire service for (fill in the number) years. I've never seen fire behavior like this in my career. Nothing could have been done to have a different outcome."

Most of the time that is not true. Better staffing. Better preparations. Any number of factors could have been done to affect a different and better outcome. Fire chiefs (especially ones like paddyc) prey on the fact the general public doesn't know any better.
        Last edited by scfire86; 05-18-2018, 11:33 AM.
        They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Here's the money quote from a fire chief when something goes wrong that probably could have been prevented. Especially if the catastrophe was caused by using reduced staffing of using lesser qualified individuals.

"I've been in the fire service for (fill in the number) years. I've never seen fire behavior like this in my career. Nothing could have been done to have a different outcome."

Most of the time that is not true. Better staffing. Better preparations. Any number of factors could have been done to affect a different and better outcome. Fire chiefs (especially ones like paddyc) prey on the fact the general public doesn't know any better.
          Isn't it funny that the number of those disastrous fires seem to increase after staffing and equipment cuts, as well as brown outs or closing of stations.

Sadly mercenary Fire Chiefs are a real problem today. They get hired from the outside, have no ties to anything or anyone in the community or the fire department so when tasked with slashing staffing and equipment there is no emotional baggage to have to clear through.

Not all outside chiefs are like that. In fact sometimes an outside chief can be the best thing that ever happened to a stagnant, going nowhere department.

Claiming IAFF membership and being associated with ICMA does not compute. One is supporting firefighters and one is doing anything to reduce the cost of fire departments even if it creates staffing and equipment shortages. If your are for ICMA you are NOT supporting Union firefighters, or any firefighters for that matter.
          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Claiming IAFF membership and being associated with ICMA does not compute. One is supporting firefighters and one is doing anything to reduce the cost of fire departments even if it creates staffing and equipment shortages. If your are for ICMA you are NOT supporting Union firefighters, or any firefighters for that matter.
            To repeat what I said earlier, I wrote the piece to inform city managers that they have a viable option that does not include staff reductions - which the ICMA consultants always recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by paddyc View Post
              To repeat what I said earlier, I wrote the piece to inform city managers that they have a viable option that does not include staff reductions - which the ICMA consultants always recommend.
              Why did you change your Linked In profile? When I looked at it there were 2 additional items listing ICMA and time frames?
              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Why did you change your Linked In profile? When I looked at it there were 2 additional items listing ICMA and time frames?
                I had not looked at my LinkedIn profile in years, and I have never been affiliated with the ICMA. I am just trying to get the word out that fire department staff cuts are foolish and dangerous, and that there is an efficient way to augment career positions on engine and ladder companies in order to maintain 4-man minimums.

Comment

Oh do us all a favor. You're just a tool looking to make a buck on the backs of firefighters and public safety.

You aren't the first, you won't be the last.

Sadly, you are one of the many challenging realities facing the fire service.
                  They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Oh do us all a favor. You're just a tool looking to make a buck on the backs of firefighters and public safety.

You aren't the first, you won't be the last.

Sadly, you are one of the many challenging realities facing the fire service.
                    You don't know what you're talking about. I am the person who created the concepts of critical fireground tasks and effective response force, the bases of NFPA 1710. I share my information freely.

Comment

You think you are the first one I've seen who had a better mousetrap? As has been pointed out. Your scheme (which it is exactly that) is just a way to get cheap labor under the guise of providing public safety. It has at its core a belief that firefighting at the firefighter level is not much better than working at McDonalds.

I really doubt you were ever a firefighter at any point in time.

That you share it freely is indicative of what it's worth.

Run along.

The adults are talking.

For the love. Please learn how to spell.
                      Last edited by scfire86; 05-19-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

You think you are the first one I've seen who had a better mousetrap? As has been pointed out. Your scheme (which it is exactly that) is just a way to get cheap labor under the guise of providing public safety. It has at its core a belief that firefighting at the firefighter level is not much better than working at McDonalds.

I really doubt you were ever a firefighter at any point in time.

That you share it freely is indicative of what it's worth.

Run along.

The adults are talking.

For the love. Please learn how to spell.
                        Bases: The plural of basis.

You obviously have not read my earlier posts in this thread, and I see no need to repeat my background information.

Comment

Is there more than one basis in your concept? Or are there others? I've only seen one.

I have read all your posts.

Fyred Up has you pegged. No need to give your concepts any further consideration. Your idea is not new.

Comment

Bases: The plural of basis.

You obviously have not read my earlier posts in this thread, and I see no need to repeat my background information.
                            Well other than the fact you removed information from your profile naming ICMA with associated dates.

Any affiliation or cooperation with ICMA makes your motives questionable.
                            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Well other than the fact you removed information from your profile naming ICMA with associated dates.

Any affiliation or cooperation with ICMA makes your motives questionable.
                              There was nothing to remove because there was (and is) no affiliation. The article that the ICMA published was unsolicited and not paid for. I often comment on local news stories about deployment issues, and have frequently criticized the ICMA deployment studies for recommending cuts in crew size.

I don't know what else I can tell you. People, whether they be politicians or civilians, see other government services become more efficient and expect fire departments to do the same. The usual way to do so is to cut manpower, but fire suppression is manpower-intensive. Not only does reducing crew size increase the likelihood of fire deaths, injuries and property loss, it makes an inherently dangerous job unreasonable risky to firefighters. Augmenting career personnel with trained and qualified firefighters who get free college educations for their service reduces manpower cost without reducing crew size.

Comment

There was nothing to remove because there was (and is) no affiliation. The article that the ICMA published was unsolicited and not paid for. I often comment on local news stories about deployment issues, and have frequently criticized the ICMA deployment studies for recommending cuts in crew size.

I don't know what else I can tell you. People, whether they be politicians or civilians, see other government services become more efficient and expect fire departments to do the same. The usual way to do so is to cut manpower, but fire suppression is manpower-intensive. Not only does reducing crew size increase the likelihood of fire deaths, injuries and property loss, it makes an inherently dangerous job unreasonable risky to firefighters. Augmenting career personnel with trained and qualified firefighters who get free college educations for their service reduces manpower cost without reducing crew size.
                                I support fully staffing career fire departments with career firefighters. Period, end of story.
                                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250