Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Aggressive interior firefighting!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive interior firefighting!

Hey folks,

Just looking to get some insight on how other depts from different states operate. I work for a dept in GA and most of the surrounding counties operate aggressively and fast. I might be looking at re-locating to FL and from what I see and hear they're progressive on ems and hard from the yard for the fire side. Not looking to start arguments just wondering. But if you aren't from Fl please comment and share your thoughts anyway!

The idea that an initial hit from the yard eliminates an aggressive interior attack is ridiculous. If you use a quick exterior hit to knock back the fire and then rapidly follow that up with an aggressive interior attack what's the problem with that? The issue comes in when people misuse the exterior hit as an excuse to never go in.

Obviously not every situation calls for an exterior hit. But there are situations where that hit makes conditions better for us and for the victims.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Alabama is a mixed bag, my dept will reset the fire from the yard if the situation allows others are pretty aggressive. EMS is getting pretty progressive, the state will license at the critical care level if all requirements are meet and with that comes the ability to RSI and a ton of other stuff.
      Get the first line into operation.

Comment

Florida is a big state -strategy /tactics can vary from county to county -town to town -station to station (in the same department) and even shift to shift. The Florida panhandle has some good departments -check out Escambia county --or CF tactics on facebook
        ?

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          The idea that an initial hit from the yard eliminates an aggressive interior attack is ridiculous. If
          I was watching video the UL Firefighter website the other day and really took to the term they used for the exterior hit: "Knock Back". This seems to sum up the intent of the outside hit. Flowing just enough water to darken the fire and buy enough time to get to the interior point of attack under more hospitable conditions. If the point of your exterior stream is too far out of the way to get inside while conditions are still more favorable, then you opt out of "Knock Back" hit.

I think we could easily utilize the term Knock Back to properly show how to employ this piece of an aggressive interior attack. "When presented with an exterior opening showing fire that will not require significant delay in the attack, the advancing interior team will employ an exterior firestream to achieve "Knock Back" before proceeding to the interior."

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
            Florida is a big state -strategy /tactics can vary from county to county -town to town -station to station (in the same department) and even shift to shift. The Florida panhandle has some good departments -check out Escambia county --or CF tactics on facebook
            Strategy and/or tactics varying from station to station or shift to shift? This sounds entirely counter-productive if not flat out dangerous.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post

Strategy and/or tactics varying from station to station or shift to shift? This sounds entirely counter-productive if not flat out dangerous.
                That's really not an unusual as you might suspect. My FD had 7 Chiefs that rotated as the Duty Chief. We had 3 stations and 3 shifts. I used to tell people we had 63 different fire departments. While we had SOGs each Captain and each Chief had their own idiosyncrasies.

This was somewhat repaired when we went to assigned duty chiefs to a shift so the variables dropped quite a bit.
                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                  I was watching video the UL Firefighter website the other day and really took to the term they used for the exterior hit: "Knock Back". This seems to sum up the intent of the outside hit. Flowing just enough water to darken the fire and buy enough time to get to the interior point of attack under more hospitable conditions. If the point of your exterior stream is too far out of the way to get inside while conditions are still more favorable, then you opt out of "Knock Back" hit.

I think we could easily utilize the term Knock Back to properly show how to employ this piece of an aggressive interior attack. "When presented with an exterior opening showing fire that will not require significant delay in the attack, the advancing interior team will employ an exterior firestream to achieve "Knock Back" before proceeding to the interior."
                  The other option is first line to an exterior position and the driver pulls a second line to the entry point, most often the front door. When the exterior hit is done drop that line and go for the second line and make entry.
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I think there's too much "Zhomygod! We always go interior!" going on with the whole "hard from the yard" concept.

As we've discussed here, it's just another tool in the toolbox. And, heck, if we can knock the daylights out of a fire without beating ourselves to death going interior from the outset, isn't that what it's all about? We're there to put the fire out. Who cares if the initial knockdown is from the outside and the interior folks are left to overhaul?

Well, aside from the "first in, last out," "see my battered helmet" types, if you know what I mean.

As I recall, Houston at one time used this exact tactic - with the deck gun. As appropriate, hit the fire with the deck gun, on tank water, while water supply is established. Saw a video of it somewhere.
                    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

That's really not an unusual as you might suspect. My FD had 7 Chiefs that rotated as the Duty Chief. We had 3 stations and 3 shifts. I used to tell people we had 63 different fire departments. While we had SOGs each Captain and each Chief had their own idiosyncrasies.

This was somewhat repaired when we went to assigned duty chiefs to a shift so the variables dropped quite a bit.
                      I hear ya. But I got the impression it was more than "idiosyncrasies".

Comment

The other option is first line to an exterior position and the driver pulls a second line to the entry point, most often the front door. When the exterior hit is done drop that line and go for the second line and make entry.
                        As with every fire, the situation dictates tactics. I think the biggest point for everyone to continue to take away is getting water where it needs to go in the most expeditious manner is going to be the best option. Sometimes the "knock back" will take too long due to location, obstacles, no visible fire, etc and other times it'll be right there easy to hit and move in. Again, I'm just beating my dead horse that this is not a "specific mode of attack", but another valid option that can speed an aggressive interior attack where conditions allow or warrant it.

In the end, the fire isn't about us enjoying a good job, it's about ensuring lives are not lost or altered (our too) and property loss is minimized, so when we have a way to do that faster, there is no excuse not to. I liken this to the FD that goes to MVA's and cuts the crap out of the car every time totally ignoring that there is usually a faster, simpler way to remove the patient. In our area I've found this particularly true of non-EMS FD's and those who get very few extrication calls.

Comment

probably exaggerated a little when I said strategy - but tactics yes -
                          ?

Comment

I hear ya. But I got the impression it was more than "idiosyncrasies".
                            Oh sometimes it was!
                            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I agree the situation dictates what strategy to use, I don't see a issue with a transition attack. But I have seen many times where some depts take there time in the front yard holding hose while the fire grows, then next thing you see is fire blowing from the eaves and roof. Aggressive interior to me means getting after it...fast, and not waiting for the 2nd due or waiting to establish water supply. The best outcome comes from putting the cool stuff on the hot stuff as quick as possible. I really only know how depts in Ga operate and I have heard some about Fl but I'm just wondering about what tactics everyone uses. I've seen volunteer depts operate smoother than paid guys in some instances.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X