Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Backboard usage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backboard usage

Hey guys hope y'all are doing well, Alabama is updating EMS protocols and it looks backboards are pretty much being almost phased out. We have been working towards that for a few years now. The protocol is something like NO pt will be transported on a backboard unless they have paralysis.
    We can/will still use them for moving pt and such..... I guess it's about time, we are pretty much the only country that uses the damn things in the first place
    Get the first line into operation.

We made the transition in NY a couple of years ago. The tool to have now is a scoop stretcher, but only to move the patient off the ground and onto the cot.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
      We made the transition in NY a couple of years ago. The tool to have now is a scoop stretcher, but only to move the patient off the ground and onto the cot.
      Those are great, we have one of the new vacuum mattresses those things are amazing but you better damn well make sure you get it back from the hospital because the chief will have our ***
      Get the first line into operation.

Comment

Being used much less here too. Mostly based on protocols and the discretion of the ambo crew.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
          That is so funny, when I started in the 90s we could use scoop stretchers for many things, but if we got it anywhere near a C spine pt it was taken as a sure sign you were a crappy medic. How things change.

They are a great tool.

About time with the C spine changes, seems like it was talked about forever but we were stuck with rigid C-spine protocols long after it was known we were probably causing more injuries than preventing.

Comment

Originally posted by Here and there View Post
            About time with the C spine changes, seems like it was talked about forever but we were stuck with rigid C-spine protocols long after it was known we were probably causing more injuries than preventing.
            Yeah - we've been hearing for a while about how other countries around the world consider us almost barbaric for our use of the long board, etc.

Comment

We switched over almost four years ago & it seemed long overdue. I've actually seen crews board & collar a patient who should have signed a refusal and left on his own... all because of "mechanism of injury." "Bump on the head? You could have broken your neck!" I'm so glad those days are over.

The only time you get a long spine board with us is if you have:
              • Documented neurological deficit on scene
              • Unconscious patient
              • Patient unable to follow commands or
              • Combative patient
              We use the cervical collar for our trauma patients that have at least one of the following:
              • Neck pain
              • Pain upon palpation or movement of the cervical spine
              • Neurological deficits
              • A distracting injury, such as a femur fracture
              • ANY injury above the clavicle
              • Altered mental status (due to intoxication, head injury, etc.)
              • Is at the extremes of ages so as to be a poor historian
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L-Webb View Post

Those are great, we have one of the new vacuum mattresses those things are amazing but you better damn well make sure you get it back from the hospital because the chief will have our ***
                New ? We used a scoop stretcher and a vacuum bean bag for spine trauma 25 years ago.

A biotch to decon after a 'juicy' trauma.

Comment

Then you get the ER doc with scissors in hand, ready to remove it....

Comment

I WISH we could get those, but I tried for 20 years just to get them to buy friggin' back board straps and couldn't even get them to buy those. Welcome to big city FD's....
                    I still use them on occasion, but only with significant trauma or to move a pt. on stairs and fractured hips. But I pad as much can, and I try not to leave them on them if possible.
                    Mongo just pawn in game of life...

Comment

Reminds me of when the car I was in was t-boned as a teenager (1986ish). I was up and walking around outside of the car afterwards but was collared and strapped to a backboard because of "mechanism". I remained strapped in for over 3 hours in the hallway of a busy ER. Every now and then a doctor would peer down on me - "How are you doing?"

Fun times *sigh*

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse