Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Cold weather tips.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather tips.

Just a little tip for cold weather, if you have short sections of LDH in open side wells on the truck, load them so that the couplings are facing downward on both ends. Leaving them facing upwards, they can accumulate water in the section, which can freeze solid. If you don't happen to catch this, you could end up with an ice jam blocking your water supply into the pump. As well as ice, during the year you could also accumulate leaves, dirt, debris, etc, that may make it through the pump, but foul your nozzles.

good points --we get a lot of 33 degree rain -that 30 minutes into the incident is 28 degree freezing rain -and 2 hours later low 20s. Also I have seen ball valves(playpipes wyes etc) left in the closed position retain enough water to freeze in transit.
    ?

Comment

going to add a few more "tips" even though I am from a "southern" state. I have a large ziplock on the engine with spare gloves (jersey/and rubber) I also keep a 2nd set of structural gloves handy -a tee shirt-bandana-stocking cap --hand warmers-and candy -- on the engine we have a good quality squirt bottle of de-icer -extra ice melt and cat litter - road flares-and a military shovel . We also bought some Harbor freight movers blankets to hand out if needed.
      ?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
        good points --we get a lot of 33 degree rain -that 30 minutes into the incident is 28 degree freezing rain -and 2 hours later low 20s. Also I have seen ball valves(playpipes wyes etc) left in the closed position retain enough water to freeze in transit.
        We had that problem on our brush truck with the tank fill valve - had two freeze up and split. Ended up with a check valve in the line to keep the tank water from coming back to the valve.

We've been dealing with sub-zero temperatures for the past several weeks. Despite a move to traffic cones and electronic flares for traffic control, some regular fusees are a good thing to have. I've seen the waterway in a 2.5" coupling reduced to <1.5" by ice. Getting such couplings apart can be a real challenge without some heat.

There was just a post on the SPAAMFAA FB page of what happened when a fellow forgot to drain the front suction on his vintage truck.

The mover's blankets are a great idea, and so are tarps. Either can help keep wind out from under a truck when it's well below freezing. I've worked fires where I watched the gauges (actually the tubing feeding them) on the top mount pump panel freeze up, one by one, across the pump panel.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
          going to add a few more "tips" even though I am from a "southern" state. I have a large ziplock on the engine with spare gloves (jersey/and rubber) I also keep a 2nd set of structural gloves handy -a tee shirt-bandana-stocking cap --hand warmers-and candy -- on the engine we have a good quality squirt bottle of de-icer -extra ice melt and cat litter - road flares-and a military shovel . We also bought some Harbor freight movers blankets to hand out if needed.
          You covered alot of things, especially, the spare gloves. Soaking/frozen gloves need replacing with dry ones. I would also add extra hoods.
          Those "hand warmer packets" that you can activate and place in your gloves, boots, etc. are helpful to stock, too. As for a shovel, a large scoop shovel to shovel out a fire hydrant is needed, too.

On the topic of safety, make sure no one runs. Only walk, since it is icy. Extra hands to help EMS move patients, since it is slippery walking. Ladders will become icy from spraying water. SCBA's will freeze up in extreme cold, too. Expect them to malfunction from the cold.

As for operations, never shutoff a nozzle completely. Leave the nozzle partially open to move some water through it. You do not want to shut it off completely or you will have frozen hose lines in sub-zero weather. Have tire chains for your apparatus? Install them. Drive fire apparatus to road and weather conditions, not adrenaline.

Comment

Propane torch in the engineers compartment to thaw fittings

Comment

Our VFD doesn't take that many runs, so we typically put RV antifreeze in the pump to prevent freezing. It's non-toxic, so there's no problem of poisoning animals.

Comment

Originally posted by dfelix22000us View Post
                Propane torch in the engineers compartment to thaw fittings
                One of the self-igniter variety, so you can't lose the striker... We carried one on our trailer pump (static water source) inside a piece of 4" PVC with a screw cap on one end.
                Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X