Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

It's been 7 years, anyone still here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been 7 years, anyone still here

Thought I'd take a look for old time's sake.

There are a few diehards still here. We still try to get conversations going. Sometimes we get a good topic and a few people join in. Sometimes because so many people bailed out there just isn't enough people with differing views or ideas to keep topics going.

I long for those great conversations on tactics, strategy, equipment, firehouse politics and more. Sadly so many bailed that the site is pretty much in hospice care waiting for the plug to be pulled.

If more of you would come back instead of just stopping in to kick the carcass every once in a while maybe we could save the place.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

bout maybe 10 post stuff worth reading -like fyredup said --this place was once a learning resource -not so much now
      ?

Comment

Sometimes you have to suffer the fools.

On a railroad forum I frequent, we have a wannabe expert whose knowledge is sadly lacking, although he doesn't believe that. He gets a concept wrapped around his head and won't let go, despite regular debunking of his ideas. He once posted that he had some first hand knowledge, but wouldn't provide even a general hint of what or where - kinda like an armchair incident commander who's never set foot in an apparatus. He still gets reminded of that from time to time, and has yet to provide the information. From what anyone has been able to discern, he is an armchair railroader...

If you shoot him down, he steps back, and returns with "yes, but..." One poster on the forum referred to is as "yes, butry..."

So yes, sometimes you have to suffer the fools.

The other problem this, and other forums run into is that after a while, it's all been discussed, unless some new topic or incident arises. So folks get bored.

As has been mentioned already, if you stop in, consider bringing something with you. New technique you picked up, new equipment you've seen/used/heard of. You name it.

Most important - don't be a stranger.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Posted in another tread, but it seemed to fit here too.
          Originally posted by drparasite View Post
          You know, I just started popping in again recently after a loooong break. And all the posts and threads I see are usually career related (whose hiring where, and what questions do you have) or stupid political crap.

I actually miss the useful discussions where you could learn from more experienced people. Back when you were simply CaptainGonzo, Chief Woods, E229Lt, Ray from FDNY (RIP), heck even GeorgeWendtCFI was able to contribute a little bit of their experience in various aspects of the fire service (and I still remember E229Lt's post about being above an elevator being the most dangerous). FyredUp was good too, and I'm sure there are plenty that I am missing.

It's like a real firehouse, without good senior guys to keep the young guys in check, chaos and stupidity ensues. And even if a select few start good discussions, without smart and experienced people commenting and keeping the discussions going, they just, well, die.
          If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

I check the posts on a regular basis but seldom post unless a thread has something that interests me. I have been retired for 12 years and the who is hiring and such don't interest me. I do miss the old IACOJ but I also do not do social media such as Facebook, Twitter , etc. so I do not have that option.

Comment

I thought today was visiting hours at the old folks home, so I thought I'd stop in and say hi. It's good to see vintage user names from the 1998-2003 era still floating around. These forums were a virtual firehouse kitchen table back in the day. I learned what to do in a few situations... and I learned what NOT to do in a few more. Heh.

I'm only 40 years old, but I feel a lot older these days. Everyone Tweets and Snaps and Instagrams but it seems like very few people actually talk. To quote Brooks Hatlen in "The Shawshank Redemption," "The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry." That's probably why these Forums aren't what they used to be and probably never will be.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm still here. That stresses some.
                They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
                  I'm still here. That stresses some.
                  Turd in a punch bowl tends to have that effect.

?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                    BOOM! Mic drop and walk away.

Or perhaps dump the punch bowl and flush would be better.
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                      You must be one of those that stresses over what I write.

How do you know you're not the turd?
                      They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

You must be one of those that stresses over what I write.

How do you know you're not the turd?
                        Because almost everyone agrees you are the turd and only one or 2 people EVER agree with your defecations.
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I agree. That's why I engage in threads that are about politics.

Comment

I agree. That's why I engage in threads that are about politics.
                            And since politics are essentially verboten on this forum, you probably won't be around much, if at all.
                            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post

And since politics are essentially verboten on this forum, you probably won't be around much, if at all.
                              We can only hope to be that lucky.
                              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse