Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

NFPA 1582 medical requirements and OSHA 1910.134

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFPA 1582 medical requirements and OSHA 1910.134

I have been asked to help setting up a annual physical program for our volunteer department. I am in the information gathering process and of course I started with the standard itself. The standard is incredibly comprehensive and including everything in their 'space man physical' into the program would probably break the bank so I need to pare it back to something that is manageable. Of course there are some regulatory reqirements in OSHA 1910.134, but beyond that its NFPA 1582 just a standard and we are still free to manage the implementation it to fit our operation (we don't have any grant assurances influencing this).
    The standard with its all encompassing holistic approach makes a lot of sense if you are recruiting for a career department, it is a bit overkill for a volunteer organization where people contribute to the best of their ability. The program I am planning to propose to the chief is going to have to be somewhat slimmed down from all the things called out in 1582.

If anyone here has information they are able to share, please let me know. What I am looking for are:

- exam manuals / criteria to use for the medical providers
    - forms used for the physical
    - copies of RFPs used to get bids from occupational medicine providers
    - sample policies/SOPs on how to implement the program

There are a two goals I am trying to accomplish:

- reduce the risk to our members and citizens that rely on them

at the same time

- not pour out the baby with the bathwater and drive away capable members with an overly intrusive program

Our county self-insured department requires (and pays for) an entrance physical - but it serves more as a baseline than any sort of a fitness for duty test. To say that it's basic would be an understatement.

Our interior firefighters undergo a respiratory physical annually, or as often as the physician is willing to require them to do so. It's not unusual to be cleared for two years. That includes spirometry and a mask fit test. Local occupational health outfits can do them.

We should probably include periodic reviews for those members not involved directly with firefighting operations (scene support) - every volunteer department has them. This would help identify new issues they may have "acquired" since joining.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555
      a little old, but might give you some ideas. They are supposed to have a good program::

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c33...c483da5ffb.pdf
      Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I am looking for. Looks like they decided to just hitch themselves to Montgomery county rather than designing their own ;-)

I'll contact them and see if they are willing to share their current policy. A cursory search on the public portion of the county website came up empty.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555

I think Montgomery county is who I was trying to think of.

Not into having to deal with setting up annual check ups,

But you might do a multi year plan. Get the basics going, with the idea and plan to add more or delete as you go over the next 5-10 years.

I think a base line med is essential

It won't have to be the full up thing annually. Montgomery does something like treadmill every three years up to 40, every two up to 50 and annually thereafter.

If you read 1582, they go really heavily into the cancer screening stuff. While I am all for catching things early, I am really not sure a physical required for a volunteer department is the right place to force people to get their mammograms or prostate checks. My suggestion is going to provide every member with the relevant information about increased cancer risks but leave it between them and their personal physician to perform any specific screening (mammo, pap-smear, lung cancer screening, prostate screening etc.)

As for the OSHA 1910.134 compliance, as far as I can tell that is a questionnaire up front and the occ-health provider has to give a recommendation based on the questionnaire. If there are any 'yes' answers, the 'employee' has to be further evaluated before the recommendation is issued.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X