Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Analyzing the 2016 LODD statistics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by captnjak View Post

    I disagree that transitional attack prevents rapid advancement of hoselines. A quick shot on fire already vented through an available window at a house fire while advancing immediately reduces fire growth and heat spread. This can make the interior advance quicker and takes little time.

    Are you equating the tactic of transitional attack with a defensive strategy?
    I'm not equating transitional attack with a defensive approach. With fire showing from the alpha side, a well executed transitional attack should not prevent rapid advancement of a hoseline to the interior. But a poorly executed transitional attack looks exactly like a defensive strategy. What should be a quick 10-15 second knock before immediately moving to the front door takes three or four minutes, as the engine crew spends too much time at the window and on the lawn, while unseen fire climbs the walls and burns the roof off.

    And transitional attack provides a convenient excuse for an inefficient engine crew and an indecisive company officer to hide behind. I think most companies need more urgency and aggressiveness, not less. Rapid deployment of hoselines, mask up quickly, move efficiently up stairs and around obstacles. First line to the fire floor, second line to check for extension, especially in legacy construction buildings with significant void spaces. For a company that isn't doing all of those things, transitional attack is a distraction from the training and implementation of bread-and-butter fire tactics.

    And in my experience, the companies who hide their poor tactics and execution behind the language of transitional attack, are the same ones to fall back on "the fire went out and everyone went home." So I wrote this post as a reminder that, in fact, everyone goes home almost all of the time. And when they don't, it is rarely because of the choice of transitional vs. interior attack.
    Last edited by jes82; 01-07-2018, 09:14 AM.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by jes82 View Post

      I'm not equating transitional attack with a defensive approach. With fire showing from the alpha side, a well executed transitional attack should not prevent rapid advancement of a hoseline to the interior. But a poorly executed transitional attack looks exactly like a defensive strategy. What should be a quick 10-15 second knock before immediately moving to the front door takes three or four minutes, as the engine crew spends too much time at the window and on the lawn, while unseen fire climbs the walls and burns the roof off.

      And transitional attack provides a convenient excuse for an inefficient engine crew and an indecisive company officer to hide behind. I think most companies need more urgency and aggressiveness, not less. Rapid deployment of hoselines, mask up quickly, move efficiently up stairs and around obstacles. First line to the fire floor, second line to check for extension, especially in legacy construction buildings with significant void spaces. For a company that isn't doing all of those things, transitional attack is a distraction from the training and implementation of bread-and-butter fire tactics.

      And in my experience, the companies who hide their poor tactics and execution behind the language of transitional attack, are the same ones to fall back on "the fire went out and everyone went home." So I wrote this post as a reminder that, in fact, everyone goes home almost all of the time. And when they don't, it is rarely because of the choice of transitional vs. interior attack.
      Well said. But I would add that "urgency and aggressiveness" only work when the unit or department is ready, willing and able to engage them. This is not always the case often for reasons beyond the control of the guys on that line.

      Comment


      • #33
        """A quick shot on fire already vented through an available window at a house fire while advancing immediately reduces fire growth and heat spread.""" Agreed -but the key word is AVAILABLE - a short handed crew may waste time stretching (and then restretching or pulling a 2nd) when it might be safer and faster to hit the front door. Definitely a judgment call that having experience will make all the difference.
        ?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
          """A quick shot on fire already vented through an available window at a house fire while advancing immediately reduces fire growth and heat spread.""" Agreed -but the key word is AVAILABLE - a short handed crew may waste time stretching (and then restretching or pulling a 2nd) when it might be safer and faster to hit the front door. Definitely a judgment call that having experience will make all the difference.
          Precisely my thoughts.

          Hence: If "hitting it hard from the yard" significantly delays an appropriate aggressive interior operation (ie, the hose line has to be re-positioned), I would opine that we're doing it wrong.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

          Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by jes82 View Post

            I'm not equating transitional attack with a defensive approach. With fire showing from the alpha side, a well executed transitional attack should not prevent rapid advancement of a hoseline to the interior. But a poorly executed transitional attack looks exactly like a defensive strategy. What should be a quick 10-15 second knock before immediately moving to the front door takes three or four minutes, as the engine crew spends too much time at the window and on the lawn, while unseen fire climbs the walls and burns the roof off.

            A poorly trained crew will not execute anything very well on the fire ground, whether it is transitional attack or an aggressive interior attack. I am forever amazed at the myriad of youtube videos, or videos shown on facebook, that show crews taking 3 minutes or more to stretch a 1 3/4 inch preconnect to the front door of a dwelling fire. This should take at best a minute, unless of course there are obstacles or a longer distance.

            And transitional attack provides a convenient excuse for an inefficient engine crew and an indecisive company officer to hide behind. I think most companies need more urgency and aggressiveness, not less. Rapid deployment of hoselines, mask up quickly, move efficiently up stairs and around obstacles. First line to the fire floor, second line to check for extension, especially in legacy construction buildings with significant void spaces. For a company that isn't doing all of those things, transitional attack is a distraction from the training and implementation of bread-and-butter fire tactics.

            I 100% agree that some will use what THEY call a transitional attack as an excuse to NEVER go inside any structure fire. The problem is that is not a transitional attack it is simply surrendering immediately to a defensive attack.

            And in my experience, the companies who hide their poor tactics and execution behind the language of transitional attack, are the same ones to fall back on "the fire went out and everyone went home." So I wrote this post as a reminder that, in fact, everyone goes home almost all of the time. And when they don't, it is rarely because of the choice of transitional vs. interior attack.

            True enough. The funny part is the new Transitional Attack label allows them to sound cool and modern even though what they are doing hasn't changed...it is still the old surround and drown.
            It shouldn't be news to anyone that I am an advocate for the Transitional Attack, under the right circumstances. I see it as a chance to knock back that flashover, or prevent it from occurring to allow for a safer search and interior attack. I do not believe at all that Transitional attack is an always or never proposition. Just like with any other tactic a good size-up will tell you what tactics are right.
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
              """A quick shot on fire already vented through an available window at a house fire while advancing immediately reduces fire growth and heat spread.""" Agreed -but the key word is AVAILABLE - a short handed crew may waste time stretching (and then restretching or pulling a 2nd) when it might be safer and faster to hit the front door. Definitely a judgment call that having experience will make all the difference.
              The crew could take the first line to the window. Heck one firefighter could take a line to the window for the Transitional Attack while the remaining crew stretches to the entry point. Quick hit in the window, drop the line, rejoin the crew. On my combo department we have discussed having the MPO take the second line for that initial hit. After having charged the interior crew's line of course. There are all kinds of ways to make this happen without delaying the interior attack by much time.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

                The crew could take the first line to the window. Heck one firefighter could take a line to the window for the Transitional Attack while the remaining crew stretches to the entry point. Quick hit in the window, drop the line, rejoin the crew. On my combo department we have discussed having the MPO take the second line for that initial hit. After having charged the interior crew's line of course. There are all kinds of ways to make this happen without delaying the interior attack by much time.
                Pretty much exactly how we do it, the window line then becomes the backup, 2nd in ect line.
                Get the first line into operation.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Well, 2018 isn't off to a great start. LODD during interior operations in Philadelphia and a really close call in Portland, OR.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

                    The crew could take the first line to the window. Heck one firefighter could take a line to the window for the Transitional Attack while the remaining crew stretches to the entry point. Quick hit in the window, drop the line, rejoin the crew. On my combo department we have discussed having the MPO take the second line for that initial hit. After having charged the interior crew's line of course. There are all kinds of ways to make this happen without delaying the interior attack by much time.
                    agreed with all your points --just depends on staffing , location of the vented window, terrain/junk can one guy stretch while the second flakes out the front (interior) -we usually are so short handed we wrap the hydrant and the engineer is pretty busy with the water supply.
                    ?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post

                      agreed with all your points --just depends on staffing , location of the vented window, terrain/junk can one guy stretch while the second flakes out the front (interior) -we usually are so short handed we wrap the hydrant and the engineer is pretty busy with the water supply.
                      Yeah our engineer is usually working his *** of here.
                      Get the first line into operation.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        We normally run 4 on the engine and our crosslays are set up so one firefighter can deploy them alone. So even with one FF at the hydrant, and the MPO pumping we still have 2 remaining. Granted the office needs to do a quick 360 but that still leaves time for the remaining firefighter to stretch to the window and the MPO to stretch to the door.

                        It really boils down to this, do you see it as a viable option or not. If you do, you will find a way to make it work. if you don't, you won't even attempt it.
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                        Comment

                        300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                        Collapse

                        Upper 300x250

                        Collapse

                        Taboola

                        Collapse

                        Leader

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X