Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Wiser after the fact: preventative time saving precautions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiser after the fact: preventative time saving precautions

As a recent victim of arson it seems, I, along with several others, found out how unmerciful fire can be with anything in its path. Determined and hopefully wiser now to be more prepared to avoid a repeat of the event, I plan to take fire specific precautions under more controlled conditions in my own home.

First I must point out that I do not have a large budget, but would like to know how to best give myself enough time and warning, even with the most thoughtful of preventative measures, in the event of a possible house fire, no matter how it starts?

To my mind there are two scenarios that I can think of: the first is a usual house fire i.e. living space, the second, a dedicated area where items are stored in a compartmentalised fashion.

It is this second scenario that I would like to explore ideas on how to best protect possessions:
    1. The main and obvious reason for fire was the time that it had to spread to the point that it could not be controlled. That time lost was the fault of an unobservant system in place. I imagine the sooner a fire is caught the better, which calls for sensors beyond the traditional smoke detector, with the ability to be alerted on a smart phone which should be about my persons anywhere I go.
    1. Preventative measures seem an obvious first option, but if it?s arson then I am not sure it should be at the top of my list, more knowing the even is unfolding in real-time than to prevent something that is going to happen anyway. However, I was told by a fireman that the only way to stop fire is water, specifically fine water mist. As stored items are left compartmentalised i.e. inside containers, they could be air tight and made from plastic, this then allowing them to be left in pools of standing water, with a sprinkler system installed above, attacking the problem from all immediate external threats.
    1. Visually monitoring the area with remote CCTV, I wonder if this would be useful or not?
    1. Aside from a heavy safe, are there containers that are reliably fire retardant, or measures of converting containers to be so, in order to buy more time? I understand that no material aside from bricks are fire resistant, not in a fire reaching thousands of degrees as the one my items had been subjected to. Is there a storage medium of choice for best slowing down fire that is reasonably attainable and affordable?
    1. My preferred option of removing all oxygen from a room is likely unfeasible as Halon is not permitted any more, while CO2 would be lost into the atmosphere as sealing a room from oxygen would be too expensive. Further, the oxygen would only rush in once the door was opened, yet I would like to know what options there are in this regard?
    1. If installing a sprinkler system, how long does it last for, will it run out? I am aware that water damage is similarly as destructive as fire and would like to know if an aggressive misting system exists in place of a sprinkler system, and what the likely tradeoffs are?

Fire is a terrible thing, I know that I cannot be outsmarted, but I can surely slow it down until a time that aid could be in place to stop it.

Many thanks for your help.

residential sprinklers tied into an alarm of your choosing --- or fireaide and a garden hose
    ?

Comment

I'd respond to your item numbers, but they're all "1".

As SJY points out, sprinklers. If you're on a municipal water system, they'll run until compromised or turned off. If you're on a well, it'll depend on the capabilities of your water system. Under normal circumstances, odds are the fire will be mitigated before you run out of water. Some sprinkler heads shut off when they no longer sense the heat.

As for protecting items, you could take the tornado shelter approach and build a sturdy closet (ie, masonry) within your house. Add a fire-rated door, and don't forget to make the ceiling fire-resistant as well, and you've got a small vault. If the rest of the house is protected by sprinklers, fire probably won't be a factor for that room.

Code in most places is for double sheet rock as a firewall, say for a garage. If you didn't want to go the masonry wall route, simply build the closet with double sheet rock, maybe even inside and out. Again, sprinklers will help prevent a fire from reaching a point where this would fail.

CCTV would only be useful if someone were watching it 24/7, or for evidence, if the video is recorded and that recording is protected.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Many thanks for your reply, sorry for the formatting, I believe somebody else left a post about that somewhere.

In you experience, what is the result of water damage? It seems to me that it could be, in certain circumstances, comparable to fire. Are there degrees of which the sprinkler can operate so that perhaps a fine mist is created over a tropical like storm?

While water can be pumped in and as you said, connected to the municipal system, what of a CO2 system, would that work, or is it just for business?

Many thanks once again.

Comment

If you are talking about a house

Install a fire sprinkler system

This will not help if the fire starts outside.

Other than that, yes get a fire safe, Keep important papers in a bank safety deposit box.

With modern tech, digital photo the entire house, scan any paper work you may need after a fire, such as insurance papers, put those on a thumb drive and stick in same safety deposit box

Update once a year.

This is for accidental and arson or any fire.

Comment

Originally posted by otiplec View Post
            Many thanks for your reply, sorry for the formatting, I believe somebody else left a post about that somewhere.

In you experience, what is the result of water damage? It seems to me that it could be, in certain circumstances, comparable to fire. Are there degrees of which the sprinkler can operate so that perhaps a fine mist is created over a tropical like storm?

While water can be pumped in and as you said, connected to the municipal system, what of a CO2 system, would that work, or is it just for business?

Many thanks once again.
            only the sprinkler heads in the affected room go off -with an alarm help to shut the system off should arrive before your house floats away. I have seen a lot of stuff dry out -never saw anything un burn.
            ?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post

only the sprinkler heads in the affected room go off -with an alarm help to shut the system off should arrive before your house floats away. I have seen a lot of stuff dry out -never saw anything un burn.
              Gotta admit I'm not up on the tech of residential sprinklers, but I recall reading that there are some that shut themselves back off once they get below the trigger temperature - not sure if that's the case or not.

The metal used was "nitinol." Interesting stuff - apparently you could form it, then bend it, and when it got to the rated temperature, it would return to the original form, which in the case of sprinklers, would open them and allow the water to flow. When the temps dropped, it would return to it's "bent" shape, closing the sprinkler.
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90