Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Estwing REXIT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

    You can accomplish the same thing without a cord by placing a metal (or concrete if appropriate) cutting blade in a cordless circular saw.
    Even though you yourself are a tool you have absolutely no real world knowledge of the tools we use in the fire service. While a cordless circular saw has some definite uses, cutting through a hood, and the associated bracing under the sheet metal skin, is really not a great choice. We need a way to RAPIDLY open the hood because after all there is a FIRE under the hood.

    Tell me a fairy tale of how you have cut concrete with a cordless circular saw. TROLL.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
      Tell me a fairy tale of how you have cut concrete with a cordless circular saw. TROLL.
      Some cordless tools have as much if not more torque than their corded counterparts. I never thought I would see rechargeable extrication tools.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

        Some cordless tools have as much if not more torque than their corded counterparts. I never thought I would see rechargeable extrication tools.
        The problem isn't the torque, the problem is the battery lasting under such a heavy load. I have cordless tools and the circular saw is great for small tasks or light cutting but if you repeatedly cut 2 by materials the battery simply doesn't hold up/ When you draw a lot of power the batteries heat up and that zaps the charge.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          The problem isn't the torque, the problem is the battery lasting under such a heavy load. I have cordless tools and the circular saw is great for small tasks or light cutting but if you repeatedly cut 2 by materials the battery simply doesn't hold up/ When you draw a lot of power the batteries heat up and that zaps the charge.
          If someplace would come out with a rechargeable cordless K12 saw that would be great.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

            If someplace would come out with a rechargeable cordless K12 saw that would be great.
            The battery would weigh more than the saw, negating any benefit from being cordless.
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
              The battery would weigh more than the saw, negating any benefit from being cordless.
              Could do a battery in a backpack or that sits on the ground so the tool itself is lighter, like before everyone started using preconnected hydraulic tools and the power unit was a separate piece.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

                Could do a battery in a backpack or that sits on the ground so the tool itself is lighter, like before everyone started using preconnected hydraulic tools and the power unit was a separate piece.
                How many firefighters would be needed to get it to the roof? Because such a battery sounds very heavy. More than off-setting the lighter saw.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

                  Could do a battery in a backpack or that sits on the ground so the tool itself is lighter, like before everyone started using preconnected hydraulic tools and the power unit was a separate piece.
                  Thanks for proving you have never taken a K12 to the roof for venting a structure ever, or for cutting open a hood, or for forcible entry. This is back to your fantasy of 26 guys on a super quint carrying every tool ever made to every incident. The saw is a one firefighter tool and using a saw for any of the tasks I mentioned is an entirely different world than using extrication tools.

                  You mention a backpack battery...How is that even a real idea? You do wear an SCBA when you vent a roof don't you? So how do you carry a backpack battery to the roof? If you carry it like a suitcase who prevents it from falling off the roof? Further who is even carrying it up to the roof? Again, some real world experience would show this is completely unworkable.

                  Nice try but this is another post that makes me believe you have never even set foot on a firegound. TROLL.
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    After using it for a year here are my findings so far.

                    1) The width of the bill allows an inward facing door to be forced without the need to stop and use wedges to get a second bite. The weight of the head allows it to seat itself on both inward and outward facing doors by a single firefighter. This was on a steel training door so results may vary if gaps are smaller or tighter, but it worked great on that.

                    2) 19 lbs. of hand tool is not something I use to sweep during a search, but utilizing the strap over my pack allows me to keep my hands free when the tool is not in use and my assignment is not search. The strap allows me to carry a significant tool while advancing a hose line in case I get left on my own. ** I would never take this tool into an SCBA maze or use it as a search aide in a fire. Get the job done and put it to the side or put it on your back.

                    3) The purchase points it creates on an auto extrication are huge and easy to create. I was able to cut hinges without needing to use the spreaders first. The less I have to pick up a spreader the better.

                    4) I never thought we would use it as a ram but have done so a couple times on non-fire calls. Even though once was for the PD, It still worked great. Using it as a ram is also nice to quickly open the seems on a vehicle by ramming each side of it.

                    If we train, work hard, help others and always do what's right, we will always be worth it!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Hurst edraulics are a great cordless tool, the batteries actually last longer than I thought.
                      Get the first line into operation.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by BeWorthIt View Post
                        After using it for a year here are my findings so far.

                        1) The width of the bill allows an inward facing door to be forced without the need to stop and use wedges to get a second bite. The weight of the head allows it to seat itself on both inward and outward facing doors by a single firefighter. This was on a steel training door so results may vary if gaps are smaller or tighter, but it worked great on that.

                        2) 19 lbs. of hand tool is not something I use to sweep during a search, but utilizing the strap over my pack allows me to keep my hands free when the tool is not in use and my assignment is not search. The strap allows me to carry a significant tool while advancing a hose line in case I get left on my own. ** I would never take this tool into an SCBA maze or use it as a search aide in a fire. Get the job done and put it to the side or put it on your back.

                        3) The purchase points it creates on an auto extrication are huge and easy to create. I was able to cut hinges without needing to use the spreaders first. The less I have to pick up a spreader the better.

                        4) I never thought we would use it as a ram but have done so a couple times on non-fire calls. Even though once was for the PD, It still worked great. Using it as a ram is also nice to quickly open the seems on a vehicle by ramming each side of it.

                        If we train, work hard, help others and always do what's right, we will always be worth it!
                        Thanks for a great real world review.

                        I am still trying to convince our Chiefs to buy a couple.
                        Last edited by FyredUp; 08-09-2018, 09:25 AM.
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by L-Webb View Post
                          Hurst edraulics are a great cordless tool, the batteries actually last longer than I thought.
                          My combo department just purchased Genesis battery powered tools. We tested Hurst e-draulics, TNT, Homatro and Genesis. Genesis was the flat out winner. Lighter, better balanced, great speed and power and the clincher...It uses standard Milwaukee 28 volt batteries.
                          Crazy, but that's how it goes
                          Millions of people living as foes
                          Maybe it's not too late
                          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            One of our cops used a rexit at a swat training for forced entry. 3 2x2?s soaked in water on the training door took 2 swat medics (full time FF?s) over 2 minutes with a set of irons. 1 cop with a rexit tool did it in under 20 seconds. The two man team was spent, the cop didn?t break a sweat. I don?t like cops doing anything better than us!

                            Comment

                            300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                            Collapse

                            Upper 300x250

                            Collapse

                            Taboola

                            Collapse

                            Leader

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X