Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Why are water cans even considered when portable CAFS packs are available?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are water cans even considered when portable CAFS packs are available?

Why are water cans even considered when portable CAFS packs are available? Should be an easy choice between 2.5 gallons of water or 60 gallons of foam.

https://intelagard.com/portfolio/macaw/
    https://www.ajstone.com/product-p/en...r3backpack.htm
    http://www.trimax.us/compressed-air-...ts/3-caf-pack/
    Respect and honor thy probies for today's probationary firefighters are tomorrow''s lieutenants, captains, battalion chiefs, chiefs of department, and fire commissioners. Some of them may know more than you.

You write the check and we'll buy some. For now, our 2.5 gallon cans (free to us) with a shot of Class A foam are serving the purpose nicely.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
      You write the check and we'll buy some. For now, our 2.5 gallon cans (free to us) with a shot of Class A foam are serving the purpose nicely.
      BOOM! That is the answer right there. The CAFS extinguisher we carry on our squad cost around $1600, a 2 1/2 gallon water extinguisher averages just over $100. You can buy multiple water cans and a whole lot of foam to add to them for $1600.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Contrary to what some manufacturers would like you to believe, foam and CAFS is not the end all be all firefighting method they are making it out to be. If it was you would see a lot of departments running pickup trucks in place of attack engines.

Last edited by CanManDan; 07-17-2017, 06:01 AM.
        What's My Name? It's Can Man Dan, The Man With The Firefighting Master Plan.

Comment

While we are on the subject of water cans, has anyone heard of meth makers using water cans to store anhydrous ammonia in them?

Was told that they place anhydrous ammonia in the water can and when they need some for their "cooking" ingredient, they give a shot of it from the water can.

If I come across any old water cans, I am going to see to it, that they are crushed and recycled (stainless steel).

Comment

Originally posted by FIRE117 View Post
            While we are on the subject of water cans, has anyone heard of meth makers using water cans to store anhydrous ammonia in them?

Was told that they place anhydrous ammonia in the water can and when they need some for their "cooking" ingredient, they give a shot of it from the water can.

If I come across any old water cans, I am going to see to it, that they are crushed and recycled (stainless steel).
            Haven't heard this but it would not surprise me. But very little surprises me anymore.

Comment

Bingo!

They aint light either. 50-70 pounds on top of all our other gear can get heavy fast.

It is overkill for the way we usually use our cans.

Water cans are cheap and they are easy.

Comment

Firefighters deserve the most modern and efficient tools regardless of cost.
                Respect and honor thy probies for today's probationary firefighters are tomorrow''s lieutenants, captains, battalion chiefs, chiefs of department, and fire commissioners. Some of them may know more than you.

Comment

Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

Problem is that "deserve" is pretty low on the list of factors evaluated by the bean counters.

When used the way it was intended to be used and within it's limitations the water can is pretty damn efficient.

I acknowledge other uses where these CAFS portables may make more sense.

Comment

Clearly you are not a taxpayer, nor are you responsible for paying any bills for any fire agency.

Here in NY State, we are dealing with a cap on how much a budget can be increased each year. This is not limited to fire departments - the DPW, police, parks department all have to deal with it, too.

That means we have to deal with normal inflation (ie, costs increase), plus any new purchases we haven't saved for via reserve funds. The net result is that the actual value of the money collected via taxes actually decreases. So, do we buy a $1,600 trinket, or a new coat for the firefighter whose coat was damaged beyond usefulness at the last incident?

Your idealism is wonderful, BUT you need to temper it with reality. You say you think you're chief material. What are you going to do when the city/town/village council tells you to cut your budget by 5%? Take your ball and go home?

And - who (besides the manufacturer) says that such a CAFS device is the most modern and efficient tool? We've seen how rapidly CAFS on apparatus has been accepted. (Hint - it hasn't).

Comment

Your idealism is wonderful, BUT you need to temper it with reality. You say you think you're chief material. What are you going to do when the city/town/village council tells you to cut your budget by 5%? Take your ball and go home?
                      Tell them if they want fire protection to continue they had better kick up some more scratch.

Comment

Why are water cans even considered when portable CAFS packs are available? Should be an easy choice between 2.5 gallons of water or 60 gallons of foam.

https://intelagard.com/portfolio/macaw/
                        https://www.ajstone.com/product-p/en...r3backpack.htm
                        http://www.trimax.us/compressed-air-...ts/3-caf-pack/
                        Gee guys I just saw this neat picture of a CAFS fire extinguisher so I thought I would try to sound smart and tell you all how great it is. Never mind the fact that I never had one in my hands, let alone operated one on a real fire. But gosh, golly, and even gee wilikers ain't it cool?

Dude you are a phony...and not even a good one. TROLL.
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Tell them if they want fire protection to continue they had better kick up some more scratch.
                          Man I love when you post and just look dumber and dumber and dumber. TROLL.
                          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

Man I love when you post and just look dumber and dumber and dumber. TROLL.
                            My bad. I thought he was going for laughs.

Comment

You can add that to your resume' while you're looking for a new job...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90