This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same here Tw93Andrew93 its great.
    we can respond to all calls do all drills attend meetings only thing we cant do is vote were treated like adults cause they have never had a problem with any of us. there r 4 of us and not that many active fire fighters. we run alot of qrs and mva calls but its fun.
    also can we really take ff1 im 16 and that would be great im crazy about this job

Comment

Firefighter88 talk to somebody from your fire academy. Last august I was 14 and they told me I could sign up for FF1. I did everything the adults did. But like i said maybe its just my fire school. Good luck

Comment

so ur certified in ff1?
        were r u located at
        im located in mercer county
        its close to ohio

Comment

I am the Junior captain at my station and our policy is that you can join at the age of 16. Years ago before I joined though it was 14 and we had a Junior member die while getting ready for a call. Now due to insurance we can join at 16 and only ride in the cars, and help in non life-threating situations.Once your reach the age of 16 you can enroll in the fire science program our county offers, ocne you recieve your firefighter 1 certification you may ride on the trucks and preform the full duties of a firefighter. I personally think 16-18 is a good age for kids to join the company.
          If you cant take the heat then stay out of my way.

These are my opinions and dont reflect the view of my company.

Comment

hey sorry to hear about that jr.
            but i think that pa up here has laws that are stupid. im sure ppl dont think they r but at 16 ur pretty much mature. u have a better chance of dieing in a car wreck than in a fire. i feel if were old enough to have a job and drive a car and if ur mature u can enter a structure fire but not with out training. i really wanna be the best i can be i love fire fighting and all tho i no ill never understand everything about fire i want to learn as much as i can

Comment

Firefighter88
              Im certified in ff1 and the national certification too. I live in bucks county. The community college took over and lowered the age to 14. They even let us do the burns. Bucks county is located about a 45 minutes north Philadelphia.

Comment

I also have my firefighter certifications. By the age of 16 i had my Firefighter 1,2, Haz-Mat Awareness,and Haz-Mat Operations. By the age of 17 I recieved my May-Day Firefighter Down certification, and my Emt-B certification. So i agree with Firefighter88 that 16 is a reasonable age to join a fire department.

Comment

Trey M
                  I have the same certifications as you but next week when i turn 16 im allowed to take ff2. I think were the only juniors who can take these classes before we are 18. Were you allowed to take the burns?

Comment

Our junior program has been dormant for a while, but at the last officer's meeting we accepted 2 new Jr members -- both age 12. Ages 12-15 are limited to support activities at fires. Ages 16-17 may conduct interior firefighting operations, subject to the Officers' approval and written permission from their parents.

The Jr members are allowed to ride apparatus to calls, if there is an open seat on the truck. There are also some fairly strict rules about academic performance at school.

Comment

TC yes I was allowed to take part im the burn evolutions. They are a requirement for the FFI & FFII classes here. You must pass the burn evelutions to be able to test here. Is it the same for u?

Comment

Yeah its the same here. You have to take the burns to pass. Here you have to take the written test for the state and take the practical for the national certification.

Comment

Now due to insurance we can join at 16 and only ride in the cars, and help in non life-threating situations.
                          Ok there engine tower1, I have a problem with this statement and everyone else that agrees with this! NO SCENE is NOT life threatning, every scene can escalate and become life threatning. You see a tree down acrossed the road, until a car hit it, now you have a life threatning situation. So get your head on straight! But anyways, in my department you can join the juniors at 14 and become a firefighter at 16, with limited duties. No interior and stuff along those lines.

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Mitch RFD ]
                          Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
                          Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
                          Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Comment

Same here TC the only thing that really counts is the test the burns are just to see if you have learned everything necessary to take the test. Mitch our company has the same policy also.It sucks sometimes but it also allows you to sit back and learn before you go and do everything.

Comment

I am familiar with Engine_Tower 1's program..and it has produced a lot of long time members for the fire department there. Most have also become career firefighters someplace just as he is attempting to do.

In Virginia they folow the federal fair labor laws relating to hazardous duty. It only restricts the 16-18 year olds to training if they are not certified. Also, if they do not have the certification, they are restricted to participating in "practice burns" in a recognized or certified training building and cant (or are not supposed to) participate in burns in aquired structures until they get the level one certification. In fact, the Department of Fire Programs policy is to not allow level 1 programs to use aquired structures for training.

That program where he is from has produced some outstanding firefighters and I understand he is one of them. It also has helped to keep the volunteer program strong in the community there. I am proud of him because he is my son!
                              09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                              ------------------------------
                              IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                              "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                              BMI Investigator
                              ------------------------------
                              The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X