Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How should I inform the battalion chief and his superiors that he is full of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

Someone who understands where I am coming from.
    When the "perfectprobie" says this about SC(NOTA)FIRE, well it just clears it all up.

Comment

I am a probationary firefighter in a paid major city department but I already know more about firefighting than most of the clowns running this circus. I wanted to gain urban experience before settling down for a career in the suburbs. Before enrolling at the academy I already attained degrees in fire science, fire technology, and fire administration. As a volunteer I earned my FF1, FF2, EMT-P, EVOC, HazMat Tech, USAR, Advanced Vehicle Rescue, Swift Water Rescue, High Angle Rescue, Pump Operator, Aerial Operator, Fire Inspector 2, and Fire Officer 4 certifications.

The problem is the battalion chief who oversees my engine company, its brother ladder company, and several others. The only reason he even has his job and was promoted is because this department is rife with nepotism and union cronyism, His father is a retired chief of department, grandfather was a battalion chief and his uncles and brothers are or were were lieutenants and captains with one being a LODD. The guy is a tactical buffoon who does not know a Storz coupling from a Stokes basket. He has regularly put multiple companies at risk due to his unsound judgement and blatant disregard for accepted firefighting practices and the department's own standard operating procedures. Next time he gives a ludicrous order I would like to tell him to his face that he is full of it as well as inform the chief of department and the fire commissioner however I do not wish to ruin my thus far illustrious career. How should I go about this?
      You are my zero. All hail to you. So we can follow your career, and be able to point out that we talked with you back when you were a probie as you rise to the position of greatness that you know you are worthy of, what department are you with now?

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
        So how many fires have you been to? I mean ... real, actual fires?

More than your senior man? Does he have an issue with the BC? More than your company officer or the other company officers on your rig? Do they have a problem with him?

How many times at working incidents have you had the command of a company? Of the scene? How many times have you masde the call to evacuate the building?

I going to be honest here brother. You are likely to find no person on this forum more conservative, in terms of offensive v. defensive, than me. That being said, there is a time and place to stay in the building even after the occupant life concerns have been addressed. Is it a long time? In most cases, no, but as long as the IC reads that the building will give them a few more minutes ........

My point is ... It sounds like you have done a great job of collecting paper, and I am a strong believer in obtaining certs. I have a stack as well. However, there is a place for the value of street time. Maybe the reason why others are not objecting is because you department has a risk taking culture ...... I have no idea as you have not (and should not unless you are an idiot) identified the department by name, but I'm guessing .... East coast or upper midwest??????? Remember who you are ....... That's all that I'll say.
        Most of the other firefighters and officers agree said battalion chief is a careless risk taker however given how he got promoted they do not feel much if anything will ever be done about it. I have had company and incident command numerous times as a volunteer and paid on call lieutenant, captain, and assistant chief however there was no worthwhile career track where I was and as I said if I had to go through the city academy I would rather to it when I was in top shape at 25. Unfortunately most large city departments only promote from within and will not hire even a qualified person such as myself into line officer or battalion and district chief positions. People who are already FF2 should be able to join a company with only indoctrination on the department's specific procedures without having to attend a full term at the academy.

A major problem with this battalion chief is he is incompetent at size up and reading buildings and situations. Too many near misses with only seconds or less to spare. Think Bull in the movie Backdraft.

Comment

Most of the other firefighters and officers agree said battalion chief is a careless risk taker however given how he got promoted they do not feel much if anything will ever be done about it. I have had company and incident command numerous times as a volunteer and paid on call lieutenant, captain, and assistant chief however there was no worthwhile career track where I was and as I said if I had to go through the city academy I would rather to it when I was in top shape at 25. Unfortunately most large city departments only promote from within and will not hire even a qualified person such as myself into line officer or battalion and district chief positions. People who are already FF2 should be able to join a company with only indoctrination on the department's specific procedures without having to attend a full term at the academy.

A major problem with this battalion chief is he is incompetent at size up and reading buildings and situations. Too many near misses with only seconds or less to spare. Think Bull in the movie Backdraft.
          I ask again. What is the promotion process within the department? Are chiefs simply appointed by the administration? Or id there a testing process?

The idea that ANY large city department would or should hire a 25 year old as a line officer or a chief officer is outright laughable. The fact that you consider this to be an "unfortunate" situation indicates how totally clueless you are. At your age and with all the time you've spent in school, how much time could you possibly have as an officer or IC on the fire ground? How much time could you even have on the fire ground?

You are NOT highly qualified to be an officer or chief in a major city paid department.

You, as a probie, are barely qualified to be a firefighter in such a department.

You are delusional to the point of being dangerous. Seek help. This is not a joke, you need help.

Comment

Think Bull in the movie Backdraft.
            I'm thinking bull, but it has nothing to do with any movie!
            Last edited by RFDACM02; 05-04-2017, 10:22 AM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words!

Comment

Some Senior Man advice for you: you really, really need to do the following:

1. Get in the sink. When all the dishes are done, mop the kitchen floor and then clean the appliances. If there is not a fresh pot of coffee brewing, it is your fault.

2. When the kitchen chores are done, get out on the apparatus floor and wash and wipe-dry the rig. Clean out the interior, give it a wipe down and clean all the glass with windex. When that is done, empty every compartment one-by-one and clean the interior of the compartments with a good cleaner. Then wipe down all the tools and equipment. Lubricate what needs lube, sharpen what needs sharpening, and paint what needs painting. If there is not a fresh pot of coffee brewing, it is your fault.

3. When the rig is done, clean the apparatus floor. Pull the rigs outside, sweep the floor. empty the trash cans, etc. Then wash the floor. If there is not a fresh pot of coffee brewing, it is your fault.

4. When the apparatus floor is done, go on watch and study your local as you are on watch. No TV or games or cell phones. The only computer on is the CAD computer. The only things your eyes shall be on are maps of your local and your bordering locals, and the CAD computer. If there is not a fresh pot of coffee brewing, it is your fault.

5. After your watch is done, go study your Dept's Standard Operating Procedures, Discipline Manuals, and other Department-related materials. When those are studied and you know them cold, then study your IFSTA Basic Firefighting Manual or Firefighter 1. If there is not a fresh pot of coffee brewing, it is your fault.

When all that is done....Maybe.....Just maybe......I may allow you back into the Kitchen for a break and I may allow you to watch TV for 20 minutes. After that you can work on the living quarters. Do you happen to know the term "Field Day?" If there is not a fresh pot of coffee brewing, it is your fault.

In other words kid, SHUT THE FUCHK UP AND DO YOUR FUCHKING JOB YOU ENTITLED, ELITIST LITTLE *****! EARN YOUR FUCHKING BONES!! WHEN YOU HAVE A FEW YEARS ON THE JOB THEN YOU HAVE EARNED THE RIGHT TO BITCH!!! UNTIL THEN YOU ARE NOTHING BUT AN UNORGANIZED GRABASSTIC PIECE OF SCHIT! If there is not a fresh pot of coffee brewing, it is your fault.
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post

You would be an expert at that
                I'm definitely an expert at calling BS on someone like LAFE. His nonsense shines like a klieg light in a darkroom.

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post

When the "perfectprobie" says this about SC(NOTA)FIRE, well it just clears it all up.
                Clears what up? You immediately dismiss him. I had similar observations of higher ranking (not superior) individuals in my career. Time proved me right. Most of them imploded. One did some serious harm to individuals. He put seven firefighters in the hospital in one day. To the day he left he stated that not only did he do nothing wrong. He wouldn't change any of the tactics he applied on that incident.

He was an inspiration to me in that I was inspired to promote so I wouldn't never have to worry about taking orders from him.

I learned right away that just because someone outranked me or had more time on the job, it didn't make them smarter or a better firefighter.
                They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

But this kid is on a whole other level. He is a 25 year old probie and claims to know more about firefighting than "most of the clowns running this circus". His beef doesn't appear to be with just one guy. He now has another thread in which he indicates that department doesn't know what apparatus it should be running. In his own words it is a "major paid city department". They must have a clue about SOMETHING.

Comment

Sounds like he should run for president.
                    They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Seems our old "pal" Scarecrow has found his way back. How long do we think he lasts in his current incarnation?

I'm betting s/he's out by June 1st.

Comment

So awesome it needed to be reposted!!

Originally posted by captnjak View Post

I ask again. What is the promotion process within the department? Are chiefs simply appointed by the administration? Or id there a testing process?

The idea that ANY large city department would or should hire a 25 year old as a line officer or a chief officer is outright laughable. The fact that you consider this to be an "unfortunate" situation indicates how totally clueless you are. At your age and with all the time you've spent in school, how much time could you possibly have as an officer or IC on the fire ground? How much time could you even have on the fire ground?

You are NOT highly qualified to be an officer or chief in a major city paid department.

You, as a probie, are barely qualified to be a firefighter in such a department.

You are delusional to the point of being dangerous. Seek help. This is not a joke, you need help.
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Most of the other firefighters and officers agree said battalion chief is a careless risk taker however given how he got promoted they do not feel much if anything will ever be done about it. Have they tried or are they just a bunch of whiners?I have had company and incident command numerous times as a volunteer and paid on call lieutenant, captain, and assistant chief So what? What it took to be an officer there may be woefully inadequate for your current department.however there was no worthwhile career track where I was and as I said if I had to go through the city academy I would rather to it when I was in top shape at 25. Well at least your over active self worth and ego seem to be functioning Unfortunately most large city departments only promote from within and will not hire even a qualified person such as myself into line officer or battalion and district chief positions. Why would they hire from the outside to fill a position that requires advanced knowledge of not only the department but the area to be protected? People who are already FF2 should be able to join a company with only indoctrination on the department's specific procedures without having to attend a full term at the academy. Nonsense, a newbie on a volunteer fire department can take and pass FF2, they are most certainly not trained enough to bypass a departments academy.

A major problem with this battalion chief is he is incompetent at size up and reading buildings and situations. Too many near misses with only seconds or less to spare. Think Bull in the movie Backdraft. Honestly I think Bull Schitt every time i read one of your posts.
                          Seriously, I feel sorry for your fellow firefighters and your department.
                          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post

I am not your average 25 year old as I am much more qualified and experienced. Definitely more so than those officers with only municipal academy training and time on the job under their belts. There are people in leadership positions here who do not have any papers other then their academy graduation certificate.

Comment

I am not your average 25 year old as I am much more qualified and experienced. Definitely more so than those officers with only municipal academy training and time on the job under their belts. There are people in leadership positions here who do not have any papers other then their academy graduation certificate.
                              No, in today's world you are just another average 25 year old. You went to college, got book smart and automatically believe you know more than any guy who spent 25 years on the line perfecting the craft of firefighting. You are exactly the same as so many cert heavy, no experience, no it alls permeating your generation. Sadly you are too arrogant and too ignorant to see the folly of your ways.

There are people with certs and college degrees that can't figure out which end of the hose the water comes out.
                              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                                No, in today's world you are just another average 25 year old. You went to college, got book smart and automatically believe you know more than any guy who spent 25 years on the line perfecting the craft of firefighting. You are exactly the same as so many cert heavy, no experience, no it alls permeating your generation. Sadly you are too arrogant and too ignorant to see the folly of your ways.

There are people with certs and college degrees that can't figure out which end of the hose the water comes out.
                                No two fires are the same so line experience is overrated at best. I am well aware of which end of a hose the water comes out of unless it has Storz couplings then it depends on which direction it is connected.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X