Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How should I inform the battalion chief and his superiors that he is full of it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you guys got trolled hard.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
      Wow, you guys got trolled hard.
      No trolling at all. Just telling things like they are. If I could I would order a white helmet, clean bunkers, and some stripes and bugle pins and show the jokers in charge how it is supposed to be done and what it means to be a leader. Putting men and women at risk unnecessarily is never acceptable.
      Last edited by APerfectProbie; 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

Someone who understands where I am coming from.

This buffoon battalion chief cannot read smoke to save his own ***, He likes to order crews interior when no lives are in danger, the property is a lost cause, and a defensive attack is what is warranted, Doesn't wait for the second due to have a backup line in place. Rarely readies the rapid intervention intervention go team. Sends ladder companies to roofs that are about to collapse. Leaves occupied exposures unprotected, Won't take multiple hydrants just in case. The chief of the department and the commissioner are just as big clowns for putting up with his antics. I respected ,my instructors at the academy and this departments way of doing things. Too bad this *** clown doesn't.

Someone asked what I meant by being officer qualified. I earned my Fire Officer 1,2,3, and 4 certifications while attending college. I was a junior firefighter from the age of 14. As soon as I turned 18 and able to participate in the required structural burn training I earned my FF1 and FF2. I worked as a volunteer and paid on call while earning my numerous certifications and attending college for six years as I pursued multiple degree paths. After college I decided to join a city department within two years while I am still in prime shape and here I am.
        I was the one who questioned your standards for officer qualifications. You have set me straight. I no longer question it. I am now entirely convinced you are not qualified. Fire officer certs? What are they exactly? Who gave you them? Are they now or have they ever been fire officers?

I have to ask. Do you have a cert for smoke reading?

And how do you know that there is no life hazard without entering and searching the building?
        Last edited by captnjak; 05-02-2017, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
          Assuming this post is legit.

Back when I was a rookie we had company officers who were functionally illiterate. They were hired at a time when hiring standards were pretty low.

After the first time I followed an operational order that could have killed me I determined that I alone was responsible for my personal safety.

I didn't tell anyone they were "full of it." I just managed to avoid following an order from a buffoon (and there were many) that I believed was not safe.

Anyone who believes that even large urban departments have no nepotism or cronyism is woefully naive.
          Can you please explain the promotional process in that department? Is there no open competitive exam? Is the nepotism in the promotions themselves or in the assignment process after promotion?

Comment

In my department promotions are based on an open competitive exam. All written department policies, procedures, SOP's, regulations, etc. are fair game for test material. It comprises several thousand pages of material. To score high on the exam you basically need to memorize most of it. Tests are given once every four years. Upon promotion, if you make it, there is a seven week course for supervisors. That is seven weeks for 40 hours per week. So all Lieutenants have a great deal of book knowledge. Yet they are not all equal in practice.
            The point is that you don't become a fire officer in a classroom. Just as you don't become a firefighter in a classroom. Experience matters. A lot. Part of the test score is based on seniority as a firefighter.
            Captain, Battalion Chief and deputy Chief promotions are done the same way.

Comment

There were tests given and groups banded. There were definitely cliques of individuals who managed to get promoted. There was no transparency in how individuals finished in the testing process. This was for promotions above captain.
              They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

There were tests given and groups banded. There were definitely cliques of individuals who managed to get promoted. There was no transparency in how individuals finished in the testing process. This was for promotions above captain.
                "Banding" is a classic maneuver used to manipulate the process.

Comment

All I can say is thank God I don't have the immense displeasure of working with this arrogant piece of work "perfect probie." I am quite sure he is VERY popular among the members of his department.

Yet as this carries on I believe his entire story is pure, unadulterated, nonsense.
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
                    I was the one who questioned your standards for officer qualifications. You have set me straight. I no longer question it. I am now entirely convinced you are not qualified. Fire officer certs? What are they exactly? Who gave you them? Are they now or have they ever been fire officers?
                    I have to ask. Do you have a cert for smoke reading?
                    And how do you know that there is no life hazard without entering and searching the building?
                    Fire officer certifications are offered at the college where I received my degrees. If a certificate for smoke reading was offered rest assured that I would have it. I earned just about all available except ARFF. Since you are attempting to micro analyze my posts, maybe I should have specified order crews to the interior after it is known that no danger to life exists. Since you are a captain or your username says you are, maybe you can come here and get a job as an assistant to Battalion Chief Buffoon.

Comment

Originally posted by APerfectProbie View Post

Fire officer certifications are offered at the college where I received my degrees. If a certificate for smoke reading was offered rest assured that I would have it. I earned just about all available except ARFF. Since you are attempting to micro analyze my posts, maybe I should have specified order crews to the interior after it is known that no danger to life exists. Since you are a captain or your username says you are, maybe you can come here and get a job as an assistant to Battalion Chief Buffoon.
                      Pointing out that a life hazard might exist does not constitute "micro-analyzing". It constitutes firefighting. And yes, you should have specified exactly what you meant as it is not a minor point.

I am not a captain.

Thanks for the job offer but I kind of like the one I have. I'll stick around here.
                      Last edited by captnjak; 05-03-2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

So how many fires have you been to? I mean ... real, actual fires?

More than your senior man? Does he have an issue with the BC? More than your company officer or the other company officers on your rig? Do they have a problem with him?

How many times at working incidents have you had the command of a company? Of the scene? How many times have you masde the call to evacuate the building?

I going to be honest here brother. You are likely to find no person on this forum more conservative, in terms of offensive v. defensive, than me. That being said, there is a time and place to stay in the building even after the occupant life concerns have been addressed. Is it a long time? In most cases, no, but as long as the IC reads that the building will give them a few more minutes ........

My point is ... It sounds like you have done a great job of collecting paper, and I am a strong believer in obtaining certs. I have a stack as well. However, there is a place for the value of street time. Maybe the reason why others are not objecting is because you department has a risk taking culture ...... I have no idea as you have not (and should not unless you are an idiot) identified the department by name, but I'm guessing .... East coast or upper midwest??????? Remember who you are ....... That's all that I'll say.
                        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

APerfectProbie,

Do yourself a favor. Ignore all posts from this guy unless you are looking at ways to avoid actual firefighting. I'm sure his articles are very good.

But like my son told me when he was taking business classes.

None of his professors were billionaires. Most weren't even thousandaires.

Same with LAFE.
                          They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

aperfectprobie,

do yourself a favor. Ignore all posts from this guy unless you are looking at ways to avoid actual firefighting. I'm sure his articles are very good.

But like my son told me when he was taking business classes.

None of his professors were billionaires. Most weren't even thousandaires.

Same with lafe.
                            trump ___bwwahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                            ?

Comment

A perfect probie, here's some advice for you stay away from SCFire. He suggested nitro for a psyche patient.
                              Last edited by FyredUp; 05-04-2017, 12:04 AM.
                              Crazy, but that's how it goes
                              Millions of people living as foes
                              Maybe it's not too late
                              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

APerfectProbie,

Do yourself a favor. Ignore all posts from this guy unless you are looking at ways to avoid actual firefighting. I'm sure his articles are very good.

You would be an expert at that

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X