Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

DOT/PHMSA Allows SCBA Bottle Life Extension Via SP 16320

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txgp17 View Post
    Unless you're changing brands of SCBA, not extending cylinder life is a complete waste of taxpayer money.
    So is replacing perfectly servicable hose and PPE after ten years, but who's counting...

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

5 months later...Look, as I said 5 months ago, I don't care if you or anyone else goes with this. We are not. We are upgrading and buying all new 4500 psi SCBAs.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

If anyone has been involved in an injury or LODD then they know when the investigation begins they inspect the firefighters gear.....for an SCBA to be NFPA complaint it must be NIOSH approved. To be NIOSH approved the manufacturer has to submit the entire configuration(backframe, mask, and cylinder) after NIOSH approval then it goes to NFPA approval. If you void NIOSH then you void NFPA....if you void NFPA than doesn't mean you void NIOSH. So, warranty and all that stuff have nothing to do with who pays the individual or family when something happens.......if the SCBA was to fail and was not in a NIOSH/NFPA Approved configuration then that liability shifts. I would recommend you go to Luxfers website and view its position on this as they manufacture the cylinders for s specific timeline in mind and 30 year cylinders are available by at least SCOTT. Also, its easy to understand that cylinders are just cylinders with different labels on them and for the most part that is correct. However, the manufacturers that design, test, warranty, and put their name on have to make 100% sure that product will perform all the time or they will be held liable. Their are many examples of where fire equipment manufacturers have had to pay out due product failures where injuries or worse have occurred and Fire Depts that have been held accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by txgp17 View Post
          Do you also dispose of hydraulic rescue tools on the day the warranty expires? Based on the logic you're applying here, you should. If someone gets hurt when it fails then who's going to cover the damages?

Ludicrous, ridiculous point. We are not attempting to extend the life of the rescue tool by having some third party test it and say it is safe despite the manufacturer's strong recommendations. We do annually service our rescue tools and when they are deemed obsolete or worn beyond safe use we replace them.

You're far more likely to be exposed to a high pressure injection injury from a ruptured line than you are a ruptured SCBA cylinder. For that matter, you're more likely to be struck by lightening than suffer an injury from a SCBA cylinder rupture.

What's your point? I didn't tell anyone not to do this I said after speaking to an scba bottle manufacturer MY FD won't be doing this. Further it is a moot point because we received a grant to replace all of our current scba, spare bottles, and compressor and cascade system.

And do you also send off all your 2.5 gallon water cans for hydro-static testing?

Our extinguishers are tested in the appropriate time frame. Are YOURS? Again, irrelevant side topic that has nothing to do with scba.

If you'd take time to read this document: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d00b7...18c1259c6b.pdf .... then you'd have a much better understanding of the technology behind it and the robust over-engineering that goes into composite SCBA cylinder manufacturing.

And like the gentleman said, the OEM's are not behind it because they want to sell you new cylinders. Luxfer has a position on it: http://www.luxfercylinders.com/press...ning-life-exte And to quote them: Luxfer cannot accept responsibility or liability for use of Luxfer-manufactured cylinders beyond the 15-year service life for which they were designed, nor does the Luxfer cylinder warranty extend beyond 15 years.

Which is what I said 5 months ago and my question was this company re-certifying them going to warranty them. If they have faith in the process and the likelihood of a failure is so minuscule then why not offer a feel good warranty to ese the mind of guys like me? I would bet I am not the only one wondering about that aspect of this process.

Our Scott 5,500 psi cylinders are about $1,200 each, and Luxfer refuses to sell the 5,500 cylinders to anyone but Scott. RIT-PAKs are not NIOSH approved devices, so any cylinder is suitable for use in it.

Why would or should they? Scott is the only manufacturer with a 5500 psi scba that I am aware of. Exclusive contracts are nothing new throughout industry.

Unless you're changing brands of SCBA, not extending cylinder life is a complete waste of taxpayer money.|

AND, like I stated earlier, we received a grant and we are updating from 2216 scba to brand new Scott 45 minute 4500 psi scba and spare bottles. One of the reasons our grant was successful is the fact that our scba are 2 standard upgrades out of date. Sure we could have re-certified the bottles, but we would be using obsolete scba with those bottles. On top of which virtually no one in our area uses 2216 scba anymore so there was no ability to share bottles if needed at an incident.
          Let me type this in bold, and bigger, and I'll even type slower so maybe some of you will understand it this time.

If you think this is a great idea, go ahead and do it. I'm not telling you not to. What I am telling you is we won't be doing it and I have stated why. You don't have to agree with me, or even like my opinion, but you aren't going to change it.

Further, it is absolutely fascinating that no one has called Digital Wave on his blatant, overt advertising for his company. He is clearly stating the name of the company and services provided. People normally jump all over people that do that. Why is no one saying anything to him?
          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

So how does this place the SCBA with regards to NIOSH and NFPA? I am fairly certain it would not be within standards for either. I know NFPA is not law, but NIOSH would outweigh all if a problem appears and a brother is injured or killed due to failure. Also this makes these cylinders not available under grant guidelines. As for cost, please elaborate on the cost vs new cylinder. From the few pricing figures I have seen, there is not much difference plus you retain all NIOSH, NFPA and OEM warranty with new.

Comment

Originally posted by MowFD13 View Post
              So how does this place the SCBA with regards to NIOSH and NFPA? I am fairly certain it would not be within standards for either. I know NFPA is not law, but NIOSH would outweigh all if a problem appears and a brother is injured or killed due to failure. Also this makes these cylinders not available under grant guidelines. As for cost, please elaborate on the cost vs new cylinder. From the few pricing figures I have seen, there is not much difference plus you retain all NIOSH, NFPA and OEM warranty with new.
              None of what you have asked will be answered here, especially concerning pricing, because I asked months ago.
              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I hear you need to work through Dalmatian Fire Equipment to get cylinders Life Extended. Does anyone have experience working with Dalmatian?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X