This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 vs 45 minutes SCBA cylinders

My department (Large urban) is in the process of evaluating 30 vs. 45-minute cylinders for standard suppression work.
    We will be using 60 minutes cylinders for specialized applications.
    I am looking for information/input from departments currently using 45 minutes cylinders in normal suppression activities.
    Any and all information will be appreciated.
    Monty

Contact Captain Darren Stevens Fauquier County Emergency Services in Va. They use 30 min scott high pressure cylinders(ALL SCOTT) predominantly. But one rural station uses 45 minute high pressure cylinders and then they use 1 hour bottles on their Haz Mat unit.

[email protected] (his email address)
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

We have had mostly 30 and 60 minute bottles ( the 60's were for HazMat, but we got out of that game), and are trying out the 45's ourselves. Personally, I like the 45, because you can usually actually spend 30 minutes inside working on the fire, instead of 15-20 max. Also, I really don't notice a lot of difference weight wise between the 30 and the 45. I'm going to vote to switch over, myself....

Jim
      My views are, of course, mine alone, and do not necessarily represent the opinion of my station

"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. " ~ Robert Ingersoll

Comment

We currently using Scott 2.2 30 min 2216 psi (read 15-20 depending on air consumption). NOT ENOUGH. Many times I wished for more working time with out changing out. I you are going for new air go big. 45-60 min.

Comment

Speaking only for myself, 60 min. is too much for structural operations. 30 minutes inside is enough before you need rehab, and on hot days maybe even 15 minutes. A 45 min. bottle is adequate for standard structural ops. Leave the 60's for HazMat, when you need the extra air for decon time.
          My views are, of course, mine alone, and do not necessarily represent the opinion of my station

"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. " ~ Robert Ingersoll

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X