Physical Agility Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Agility Test

Hello, I'm from Louisville Kentucky and our department claims to have the 2nd toughest physical test standards in the country, only behind FDNY. What do you guys think? Has anyone else heard this? Our test is very tough to pass with a good score.

You start by climbing up and down 7 floors in the training tower carrying a 60 pound hose bundle. Then you run about 40 yards into the parking lot where you pick up an 80 pound hose bundle and weave through a set of about 15 cones down and back. After dropping the 80 pound bundle you run approx. 50 yards to the front of the training tower and climb a 5 story fire escape, steep staircase. Next you return to the 80 pound bundle and weave through the cones down and back once again. After that you return to the 5 story fire escape. Finally, you go back inside the training tower and climb up and down the 7 story tower with no weight. End physical test.

A competitive time is under 8 minutes. The record is 5:26.

Comment

Yes city of Louisville.

Comment

For what it's worth, I applied to 8 or 10 departments before I got hired (not by Louisville, by another department), and Louisville has my vote as toughest test. I think what makes it so hard is that candidates are ranked by time, not just given a score of pass or fail. So if you want to be competitive, you have to push pretty hard.

When I took it I made the first trip up the steps (with the hose bundle) by briskly walking two steps at a time, I ran at a medium pace between stations, and I flat sprinted, two steps at a time, for the remaining three trips up the stairs when I wasn't carrying a hose bundle. And I just about threw up in my mouth on the last trip up the stair tower, haha. Doing that, I finished in 7:58, which is a competitive, but not particularly impressive time.

I think the standard CPAT would be harder if departments ranked candidates by time, or even if they lowered the pass standard a little. If the passing time was 8:30 or so, the CPAT would be a fairly tough test. But 10:20 is too generous. You can stop between stations to catch your breath and easily finish with time to spare.
        Last edited by jes82; 02-07-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X