Kids Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Education

I'm working on a firefighting based fitness program for elementary aged kids. In addition to several other fitness and learning stations. I want to have them drag hose in a gym. I've already got sleeves to cover the brass and protect the floor, but I need to fill the old 1 1/2 (for the very young) and 2 1/2 sections with something to give it a little weight and shape. I don't want to chance water leaking out and it will probably be too heavy anyway. Any ideas? Needs to be cheap/free filler. I've thought about air, but I'd have to buy a plug and tap it for a valve stem and it wouldn't add any weight at all.

Sand is heavier than water. It would be good for older students. If I filled it half full, it would load up at one end. I got to thinking about tennis balls or something similar at lunch. I'll have to check to see if they will fit inside the coupling. I think they may be too big.

Comment

Good point. I found plastic plugs for 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 on eBay for about $12 each shipped. If I can come up with a valve stem that can be threaded in, I could air them up enough to give the hose shape. That would allow me to put just about anything in nearly the full length. A variety of old garden hose from cheap and thin to heavy duty could be used to tweak the weight of either size hose. It's a work in progress and I have about a month to experiment.

Comment

Finding a suitable air fitting should be easy - check your local tire store. Drill a suitable hole in those plastic caps and away you go.

Bonus - you can use them for ice rescue, too!

For elementary kids, just putting in 50 PSI of air will make the hose hard enough to handle. If the hose won't hold the air, make sure you've got a good enough air source, and a regulator.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

My personal compressor would scare the snot out of the kids when it kicks on. lol! Maybe I could run a hose in the gym from outside. I've got the plugs ordered. I'll experiment with air as soon as I get them in and get the valves installed.

Comment

Originally posted by tbzep View Post
            My personal compressor would scare the snot out of the kids when it kicks on. lol!
            So would mine...
            Originally posted by tbzep View Post
            Maybe I could run a hose in the gym from outside. I've got the plugs ordered. I'll experiment with air as soon as I get them in and get the valves installed.
            I thought about mentioning putting the compressor outside.

Another option might be to secure a regulator for a breathing air tank...

Comment

Plugs arrived yesterday. The wall is less than 3/16" thick so I will need a shcrader valve with threads long enough to use a nut and washer on the back side. If I just use a valve with npt threads, the first bump will probably crack it.

Comment

See if you can find a used TPM. As long as the valve is OK, you don't care about the sending unit...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X