Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Using the word firefighter in your hobby job business name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the word firefighter in your hobby job business name

Curious about how you all feel about brothers and sisters using "firefighter" as part of their hobby job business name?

There's a few guys on i work with at both the career and POC fire departments that have "firefighter handyman," "firemen movers" or "the fix it firefighter" as their business names.

Understanding that the word firefighter creates a sense of trust and security, but I don't feel it's okay to use that word unless you get approval from the chief/union head. The fact that they id themselves as firefighters' only makes them more susceptible to getting the fire department or the fire service in a negative light should there be a bad business deal and review.

Wow - mixed feelings on this.

College kids often do essentially the same thing, but I see that as much more generic.

If the business has nothing to do with firefighting, I'd suggest against it - ie, "firefighter carpentry" probably isn't a good idea. If they're selling fire gear, maybe it's OK.

Another angle to consider is the rising tide of negative feelings about firefighters even having hobby businesses/jobs. If a city government is looking for ways to rake the fire department over the coals, why help them by advertising that you're using your luxurious time off from your cushy sleep-at-work job (their characterization, not mine) to make more money? "Pete's Plumbing" doesn't call attention to that. "Fireman Pete's Plumbing" does.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

We did talk about the view of people believing the 24/48 schedule gives us the 'freedom' to work other jobs unlike the taxpayers.

The town where I'm POC is still on old school community where everyone knows everyone and it's probably not as negative because we're paid a very nominal stipend, but in my county I do worry about the stigma of 24/28 and being able to 'catch up' at the station.

Does your fire dept prohibit hobby job work while on duty?

Comment

WTH cares as long as the name of the community isn't attached to the name of the business
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHatter1349 View Post
          Does your fire dept prohibit hobby job work while on duty?
          I'm a vollie, so the question doesn't apply here.

I would opine that most places would prohibit hobby job work while on duty. It wouldn't do to have someone leave a roofing job to respond on a call - especially if they were getting paid to be on duty at the same time.

OTOH, many career departments let their employees have "down time" for nights, etc. In that respect, I can't say as I'd complain about someone doing email at the firehouse or other such activities that didn't detract from their ability to respond.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

My dep't. considers it unethical to use your position for monetary gain in any way (aside from the actual salary).

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
              My dep't. considers it unethical to use your position for monetary gain in any way (aside from the actual salary).
              Ditto, our City policy manual ensures that no one can use their position for personal gain. From a purely personal standpoint I'd say I'm probably more against it than for it. At issues is that we cannot regulate who uses the term, thus when Firefighter Handyman turns out to be bilking old ladies, it tarnishes the job. As noted above if the work is directly related to firefighting (selling fire equipment) then I could see that differently.

Comment

RFDACM02-can you share the text or verbatim of what the city policy says. I would like to talk with our Union about this. We have been burned in the past which is why I am asking as a few younger guys are tossing business names around at the table.

Comment

Well, I thought it said this explicitly, but the final print copy seems to be a bit toned down from the original draft. Early drafts stated that no employee should use their employment with the City in a manner is which to obtain other work, pay, favors or gifts. Here's the new and fuzzier version:

"Conflict Of Interest
                  A conflict of interest may occur when an employee places his/her own personal interests before
                  the interests of the City and those it serves. Because a conflict of interest is such a serious
                  matter, it is each employee?s responsibility to avoid placing him/herself in a position that creates
                  a conflict, or even the appearance of a conflict of interest. Should a question arise regarding a
                  potential conflict of interest, the City Manager must be consulted immediately."

I'm not sure you could stretch the conflict of interest by using Firefighter Handyman or any other work that wasn't offered by the city.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post

Ditto, our City policy manual ensures that no one can use their position for personal gain. From a purely personal standpoint I'd say I'm probably more against it than for it. At issues is that we cannot regulate who uses the term, thus when Firefighter Handyman turns out to be bilking old ladies, it tarnishes the job. As noted above if the work is directly related to firefighting (selling fire equipment) then I could see that differently.
                    Something related to firefighting is considered especially bad because your position could impact decision making on part of buyer. It could look as if the department also endorses whatever brand you're selling.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post

Something related to firefighting is considered especially bad because your position could impact decision making on part of buyer. It could look as if the department also endorses whatever brand you're selling.
                      Agreed, I was thinking more of someone who was a FF and then sold fire equipment to FD's, such as apparatus sales, turnouts, etc. "Firematic Supply" for example. I agree with not using the term to influence the sale of products or goods to the general public who equate the term with trustworthiness.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X