Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I will show my age. The first department I was on had two working SCBAs for the entire station. These were located in brackets in side cabinets of our mini-pumper. If I had my preference, I would prefer to put the SCBA on after we arrived like we did back then. I found that the extra time you took at the scene putting the SCBA on gave me a chance to catch my breath and THINK about what I was doing. Now that you arrive with your pack on, as soon as you jump off the apparatus, you have officers yelling instructions at you that sometimes are in conflict. Then you walk up to the burning building and usually have to wait for the engineer to get your water to you while your back-up stretches out your hose. It may look pretty, but I am not totally sold on the idea that the time you save packing up enroute really makes a significant difference.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Hey Metal, I can tell you that if an alarm is a problem, you can make up a small 6 or 8 inch extension for the seat belt and leave one end inserted into the female end of the buckel and this should silence the alarm, while still letting you pack out and buckle up while in route without. NOT THAT I HAVE DONE IT. Keeping in mind that wearing a seatbelt only makes sense, it's our own safety.

Comment

Dont put mine on till I get off the truck, I just throw one arm thru the strap and drag it out with me.
        It takes all of 10 seconds to finish throwing it on from there.

Comment

no to seatbelts,yes enroute but after this weekends training in Monroe Wi. I believe I will leave the mask off till I get there.
          They taught a good class on fire attack and stressed that it is EVERY fire fighters job to do size up.Cant do it with the mask on.
          Now before anyone gets on me about the seatblts, please dont waste your time.I am sure your department does something unsafe every now and then too.Plus there is one truck that has no seatbelts in the back compartment where we ride.
          Let the fireworks commence 100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress

Comment

Pack up on the way ... if you don't, get out of the way. I put my pack on but leave the belt unbuckled until I'm ready to go in. That way, it forces me to take a second to stop, look around, size up the building, etc. This helps me avoid tunnel vision. Anyone who puts their mask on before they get off the engine gets the accountability board. I don't want anyone putting their mask on until assignments are clear, and they have a chance for size up. Putting your mask on before you go in is the biggest lead in to tunnel vision and miscommunication. This is just what I've learned from experience and observing others.

Stay Safe

Comment

Truckie 147, I never put on my mask in the truck, and dont know anyone who does, But I still put my pack on in the truck. I think it's two seperate things.

Comment

Perhaps the question should be broken apart:
                1) What is SOP regarding seatbelts in jump seat.
                2) Do you follow it?
                3) Do you pack up en route?

Point 1) These forums are indefinetely archived

Point 2) If you answer (2) with anything other than "YES" boy oh boy do I want to be a fly on the wall when the insurance company lawyers find that during discovery. "We have here a document where you said you don't follow SOP. Do you still think xxxxx is liable?"

They can search the internet just as well as anyone.
                ====================
                It takes practice, but I can usually slide my arm into one side getting into the seat. Jump in, spread straps, slide one on, sit, buckle, other arm, waist strap. And I'm a big guy.

The only ****er is I occassionally put on the mask on scene and realize I forgot to turn the bottle on enroute...

Also, I never seem to have the best fit packing sitting down...sometimes tighten the straps after I stand up on scene.
                IACOJ Canine Officer
                20/50

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...