This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumpseat SCBA's

I would like a poll departments as to there standard operating procedure on jumpseat SCBA.
    Do you put them on enroute or wait until you arrive at the scene.

If your small enough to put it on while seatbelted then do it. If not you wait till arrival to pack up.
    LEATHER FOREVER

Comment

Most of the time, we can have them on before the truck leaves the station since the first seats to be occupied are the jumps. Regardless of that, we are expected to exit the apparatus ready to go when the truck arrives.
      Richard Nester
      Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Those that want to get them on do, those that don't, don't. Except for when i am driving I get off the rig with it on and i'm not a small guy.
        bob g R2

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: rescue2bob ]

Comment

We put them on enroute per our Sop's, if you dont have one on you dont get off the truck, if its a fire call.
          "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
          Chief 1899-1911
          Fire Dept. City of New York

Comment

Around this Metropolitan are if you don't have it on, and you're the first arriving Engine Co., you will lose the fire to another company or you might even be trampled upon. Even if you don't have other units on top of each other I think you owe it to the people you protect to come off the piece ready to go.

Comment

Are you guys talking open jump seats or enclosed cabs?
              If the seats are open then I'd like to see anyone try to pack up in the seat fully geared and seatbelted in. Believe me in our 1988 LTI it is impossible, and nearly impossible in the 1989 Hahn Engine unless you are a contortionist.
              If you are talking enclosed cab then you better have your *** packed up on all alarms before gwetting off the piece.
              LEATHER FOREVER

Comment

Actually, it is easier to get suited up in our open cab trucks than it is in the closed cabs. With the closed cabs, if you are not wearing your seat belt AND should harness, the alarms sound and the engineer is not to be in motion... it is very hard to hook up those traps in the dark and not get tied into the seat belts. On the open cab, you have just a lap belt that is usually fully extended and out of your way. Of course, in reality, the belts get unbuckled and the driver puts up with the noise... but it is one more distraction I wish we did not have to deal with enroute.

Richard Nester
                Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Perhaps the question should be broken apart:

1) What is SOP regarding seatbelts in jump seat.
                  2) Do you follow it?
                  3) Do you pack up en route?
                  The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

In my department, you're expected to get off the truck ready to do the job, which means you'd better have a pack on when one is required. Period. In our ladder truck, which is a canopy (open) cab, it's tight fit but is VERY possible to do. I tell new guys that they should get into the habit of wearing their pack on every call with the exception of MVA's, wires down, and open burns; they can always take them off.
                    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I was always told, u better come off ready to do your job. It is diff. to get packed up in the open cabs. I am lucky enough to be a small guy, but i still have a hell of a time getting packed up, getting a light on. As for the closed cabs. If u are not packed ready to go when u get off, i would send u the nearest intersection with orange gloves and a flashlight, there is no excuse not to be ready
                      stay safe...
                      biv

Comment

Our policy is to get them on enroute. If you get off the truck and you don't have a pack on hten you shouldn't be riding that truck.
                        IACOJ Agitator
                        Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

I see that most departments like ours go the route of donning breathing aparatus enroute to a call.
                          I am in disaggreance with this, I like to here what IC has to say before I get all worked up. The chief may want a hydrant from first truck or maybe a 360 walk around.
                          A call we went on that sparked all this was an alarm bells call with no following report.
                          The safety person happened to be in the jump seat and just freaked out when I mentioned I would put my pack on when we got to the scene(this is not new).I also had to inform safety of the fact he/she was not wearing thier seat belt at a point half way to the call. As we arrived command had just pulled up and two members, fully packed and ready jumped of and started to head into the building for a look.
                          It wasn't until command and myself investigated the annuciator panel that we realized the team had aready walked passed the area of alert.
                          I think had our command(NEW) had time to sort things out and do a proper size up a much clearer picture of the incident could have been assessed.
                          I know we all know to where our packs into a HAZARDOUS atmosphere but waiting to leave the hall because you cannot get your pack and seat belt on in the time it takes to fill the truck seems silly and leaving without the seatbelts on is just wrong. I would prefer jump in sit down buckel up and listen for the next bit of information from IC. Packing up as mentioned only takes a minute and this valuable minute gives IC time to scan the resources and impliment a plan of attack.

Comment

Our SOG says SCBA will be donned enroute to ANY: Structure, Vehicle, Trash, Dumpster or any Alarm call (Manual pull, CO, or Smoke/Fire AFA) if person in that seat is "SCBA qualified".

Heli, you said it only takes a minute to put the pack on once you've arrived at the scene and you'd like to hear what-ever else the IC has to say. (No, this isn't an attack... it's observation.) If you have a 2 minute response time and you can pack up in 90 seconds (that's an average... and a HIGH one), you are at an advantage for the worker that you get off the truck for. (No, it doesn't happen everyday, but it DOES happen VERY OFTEN). IF you get off the truck for the worker and you don't have the SCBA on, and you've got LOTS of fire, do you want to stop for even 60 seconds to pack up? That's when you've REALLY got the adreneline flowing.

Comment

In our '64 American LaFrance we put them on when we get to the scene. But in our '97 Freightliner we don them in route. The jump seat on the LaFrance are there just to sit in.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X