Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Recommendations for fitness and exercise equipment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for fitness and exercise equipment?

I had posted this question in the "Health & Wellness" Forum, but after looking around a bit I think this particular forum gets more views. So, I'll re-post here:

If you had $6000-$7000 to purchase fitness and exercise equipment for your station, what would you get? Our small volunteer dept is looking at outfitting a fitness room and could use some guidance from other departments. Right now, we're definitely leaning towards a:
    - treadmill
    - recumbent bicycle (sit-down, not an upright bike)

Not sure if we should invest in an elliptical machine since we're most likely getting a treadmill and bike. Also not sure if we should purchase a home gym system (perhaps a bowflex or another system that uses plates like the Body Solid EXM1500S, just as one example); OR should we instead look into a set of barbells and adjustable benches. A friend of mine is a barbell fanatic and insists that most exercises can be done with barbells.

Advice is always appreciated!

~Skojo

Aside from the barbell fanatic, do any of your other members work out at home (like on their own treadmill) or at a gym? See what they use and involve them in the selection process. They may also be successful in bringing others in to work out.

Don't rule out an elliptical or stair climber - one of our members is doing a memorial stair climb this weekend, and if we had one, he'd probably have been on it.

Once you do select your gear, consider an informal, friendly competition - have your members post their workouts where others can see them. We certainly don't want anyone to hurt themselves, but if Jack, Joe, and Bill start trying to outdo each other (say, distance/rise on the treadmill), they all benefit.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

We have had treadmills, elliptical, bikes, but the one thing that is still working and gets the most use is our stair climber.

Comment

Treadmill, stairclimber, and rowers for cardio.

Your barbell 'fanatic' is correct that most strength movements can be done with an Olympic barbell, plates, a bench and a squat rack. A proper squat rack will ensure that an individual can train heavy alone safely if they fail during a lift. For example, if you are bench pressing alone, the safety arms can be set just below your range of motion so if you fail on a rep, the bar can be set on the safeties and you can get out from under the bar. That's much better than a regular bench with no safeties where the bar can end up on your neck if you fail. With squats, the same thing. If you get stuck in the hole at the bottom of your rep, you can set the bar on the safeties and get out from underneath instead of being stuck and having to dump the bar or fall backwards and land on the bar.

The plus to a squat rack is many come with a chin-up bar, so you don't have to get a separate one of those, plus you can get dip and various other attachments so the rack becomes an all-in-one strength station.

Two racks with benches plus the above mentioned cardio equipment and you'd be pretty much good to go.

Do not ever, ever, buy a Bowflex or similar unit.

Some vendors will be able to help out on price since you'd be buying more than one of something, plus its for a department. One of the biggest(and from personal experience, the best customer service) would be Rogue Fitness.
        Two departments, twice the fun...

Comment

While having treadmills, stair climbers, and weight equipment is great, nothing is more affordable and more functional than using some of what you already have, such as climbing actual stairs (in gear), dragging hose (attach it to an old tire for more resistance), chopping wood, etc.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Absolutely agree w/ Tree in that you have to get input from the membership. What we've done to get input is ask our folks at drills and meetings what they would like to have and use, but then we also created a simple online survey using SurveyMonkey.com. This website was free, easy to use and allowed us to get even more input from our members.

If anyone has any recommendation about brands/makes of treadmills, bikes, stair climbers, etc. to purchase (or not purchase), I'm all ears.

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I would like to chime in with my own two cents if I can. I used to be a huge fan of barbells and free weights because when they are used int he right way you can have a really great workout and they show effective results overtime. However, due to some lingering back issues, I began to read up on workouts and exercises that were not as taking on your body while still helping you achieve the same overall fitness.

In lieu of barbells and weights, I now use a plethora of resistance bands that are much less harmful to your muscles and your body and they help you gain the same amount of conditioning and strength. Essentially, let's say you benchpress some barbells until failure, you could achieve the same results by doing a similar resistance band workout till failure. The only difference here is the fact that resistance bands are easier on your body. I pair the use of resistance bands with several laps in the pool each day to get in my cardio workout.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                Aside from the barbell fanatic, do any of your other members work out at home (like on their own treadmill) or at a gym? See what they use and involve them in the selection process. They may also be successful in bringing others in to work out.

Don't rule out an elliptical or stair climber - one of our members is doing a memorial stair climb this weekend, and if we had one, he'd probably have been on it.

Once you do select your gear, consider an informal, friendly competition - have your members post their workouts where others can see them. We certainly don't want anyone to hurt themselves, but if Jack, Joe, and Bill start trying to outdo each other (say, distance/rise on the treadmill), they all benefit.
                nice sharing!!

Comment

i dont have time to go for gym i do workout at home check out the list of home workout equipment hope you will like it
                  Can?t decide what essential workout equipment to buy for your home gym? Check out our list of 7 Must-Have home workout equipment.

Comment

$6,000-7,000 is not a lot of money when talking about quality exercise equipment.

I would say focus on cardio as compared to strength training. In a perfect world, you would have the funding to do both, but given a limited budget, it's the lack of cardio health and cardio endurance that is killing members. I would focus on treadmills, stairclimbers and the like.

As one of the previous posters stated, a tremendous amount of work can be done using the tools we use for the job, including strength development. Do some research on fire stations drills that build muscle and cardio endurance utilizing fire fighting skills and tools.
                    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

You should doing both. A properly designed program can allow cardio and strength to complement each other.
                      Two departments, twice the fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG344 View Post
                        You should doing both. A properly designed program can allow cardio and strength to complement each other.
                        I agree.

THat being said the amount of money the OP is talking about spending can be easily tied up in one treadmill or elipticval. Much of the strength training can be done using fire department equipment or some low cost barbells or even discarded large tires.

If you do look at LODD data, much of it is tied to cardio-realted causes.
                        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Just to follow up on my initial post, our station ended up purchasing a mix of cardio and strength training equipment:
                          recumbent bike
                          treadmill
                          dumbbell set
                          small home gym
                          rack cage system
                          medicine balls
                          floor mats
                          weight bench

We also received a donated elliptical and another smaller exercise bike, a few sets of barbell weights and assorted bars.

Also picked up a cool book called Functional Fitness Book, made for firefighters.

Comment

How about a nice big log out behind the firehouse and an 8 pound axe. Chop alternating right and left side. Start out at a couple minutes each side and work up to 5 or more each side. Heck of a workout for your upper body.

Have you got a hose tower? In full gear carry the high rise pack up and down the stairs. Cardio and strength work out.

Single person 24 foot ladder throws.

LDH drag.

I'm not opposed to exercise equipment but some real world skills an strength work is great exercise.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250