Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Hey, anyone still here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, anyone still here?

I took a long break from these forums. Are any Crustys still here?

People seem to come and go sporadically. Some of the original guys still pop in from time to time, but between constant (unwanted) forum modifications, and the consistent lack of moderation, the forums are all but dead
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

I agree. I normally check a few times a week but seldom see anything I want to comment on. I note that new posts on topics other than grants and who's testing are few.

Comment

Still here. We VERY occasionally get a good topic going but there just aren't enough people to keep them going for long anymore.

Peter, the guy who contacted me a couple of years ago about being a moderator and then disappeared off the face of the Earth. and won't answer e-mails anymore, seemed to express the idea that firehouse was interested in moving all of this to facebook. That might explain why they seem to purposely do what ever they can to kill this place off.

I just don't like the facebook format for the type of thing that goes on in forums like this. That is probably why I am not as active in IACOJ as when it was a forum.

Either way I will help to try and keep this place alive. I have learned much and met some great folks from all over the world here.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

After a while topics that haven't already been discussed get rare - it takes some current event of significance to engender any level of participation. And we don't see a lot of those (probably fortunately, as they tend to involve bad things happening to firefighters).

This is not helped by the number of people who have given up and moved on.

A railroad forum I'm on has its ups and downs - some threads you might think would take off die an early death, and some you wish would end (because the discussion has become circular) hang on forever. A couple of threads are following ongoing projects - there's always something new to report.

One "problem" on the rail forum that is definitely a factor here is a relative intolerance for "old" questions. A topic may have been beaten to death in the past, but a new member asks a question and is told to use the search function - and here's the link to a long discussion on the topic...
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I think it's up to us as members. We can't blame the format or the moderators all the time. Tree makes a good point. Are we too tough on new guys or new topics? I come from the old school idea that we all have thick skins and nothing can scare us off. Especially since it is all anonymous. But maybe guys just don't want to be bothered with a perceived fight. I prefer to call them debates myself. And I think they are valuable. Probably more so than the topics we all agree on.
            How do we fix it? Not sure. But I do know there are many firefighters who read posts and never comment. That needs to change. And they need to post their experiences and questions should they have any. This forum can be a valuable resource if it is properly invested in by it's members.

Comment

I can't lie I've been slowly researching the opening of a different, similar in style forum with active administration and moderation. By myself it would be near impossible, and the software is the big issue. VBulletin. is an expensive software that forces upgrades at times (The issues your complaining of) to retain support. The other software is not nearly as server stable or functional in "Bells and whistles" but is sometimes even free. I'm struggling on making a decision as to what to do. Please note, I've successfully ran a few different style forum / message boards, and have a few years of web administration experience in both Forums and websites themselves.

I have had several usernames on this forum and have been a lurker for many many years, reading pages and pages of topics, clicking links and learning each personality of all the regular faces around here. I like this crowd, just wish there was more then 20 people in a 800+ person bar....

Comment

Still here, but get too frustrated with these damn forum "upgrades" to be around much anymore. Can't stand this new version. Way way way too much advertising. it simply ****es me off and i don't bother coming here anymore.
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

I'm in and out. Summer busy time for me.
                  Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Checked in here a few months ago. After scanning the most recent posts, it didn't take me long to remember why I stopped using the forums in the first place.
                    Member IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                      Still here, but get too frustrated with these damn forum "upgrades" to be around much anymore. Can't stand this new version. Way way way too much advertising. it simply ****es me off and i don't bother coming here anymore.
                      Ab-so-lutely.
                      Member IACOJ

Comment

Wusses! Come back and fight with me!! I miss the banter.
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by E229Lt View Post
                          I took a long break from these forums. Are any Crustys still here?
                          Hey boss, hows life?
                          Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

I occasionally wander in and lurk but the discussions have died off. I am not a Facebook user so have lost touch with the Crusty group.
                            Last edited by cheffie; 09-10-2016, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Facebook allows for actual discussions and I know who I am talking to. Ironically, a lot of the same people from here are in the groups there. Lack of moderation here killed the place.
                              Career Firefighter
                              Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X