Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Hey, anyone still here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E229Lt
    started a topic Hey, anyone still here?

Hey, anyone still here?

I took a long break from these forums. Are any Crustys still here?

• batchief99
    replied
    I just was wandering through, it's been a long time. Holy cats, I only joined 12 years ago? Seemed longer.

Leave a comment:

• drparasite
    replied
    Haven't been here in years.... life gets in the way, new job, family requirements, but there were always a few people that were great sources of information, and others who were just plain entertaining.

Once I get FH to fix my forum name issues (apparently my forum account and my firehouse account aren't linked, again, resulting in issues), maybe I will be back more.

Definately good to see some familiar names from when I first started posting here 15 or so years ago.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    I've not been in as much as I have but check by occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• scfire86
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post

I always find what you say quite amusing. It does make me chuckle.
    Your comments make me laugh out loud.

We both know its true.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Originally posted by scfire86 View Post

I'm retired. I have no doubt I fought more fire than you saw on TV. If you had worked for me, you wouldn't have worked for me.

My crews looked for ways to do the job, not avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• scfire86
    replied
    When you have little interesting to say in the present, often all you have is the past.
    I'm retired. I have no doubt I fought more fire than you saw on TV. If you had worked for me, you wouldn't have worked for me.

My crews looked for ways to do the job, not avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    When you have little interesting to say in the present, often all you have is the past.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    SCFire, the broken record old man who has no recent interesting things to discuss goes back to the days of the dinosaurs to drag up long dead schitt to make himself sound cool. YAWN...

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
    Once again you miss the point. The point is that you claim to bear the mantle of being a fire department or firefighter whose task is protecting the public. Be honest with the citizens you claim to serve who might believe that you are there protecting them.

You repeatedly stated that you wouldn't even attempt to save someone from a burning vehicle if you were off duty. Something many of us have done without our safety gear available.

Just don't make the claim that your ideas of firefighting should be the norm. Yes you have an obligation to ensure your crew's safety. But your statements are one of being over cautious to the point of being ineffective. I worked for three decades as a company officer. Rarely did I have all the proper resources and manpower that you demand be in place to mount a proper attack that would be considered a textbook operation.
    I'm not going to relive the past.

My primary job is to get my crew home and that will drive my decision-making process. At the end of the day, the reality is that for most fire departments fires where civilian life is at stake is a very, very, very rare event. In fact, in 37 years, I can say that only twice have I encountered that situation, and only once was it as an officer faced with making that decision. Not once was it at an abandoned or vacant structure.

How you ran your company is your business. And when I'm in charge of a company or a scene, that's my business. And rarely do I have all the resources that I would like as well. That being said, When there has been a situation where there has been a reasonable chance of changing the outcome, I have taken risks that were commensurate with the potential gains.

I will not relitigate the "vehicle fire discussion", except to say that when off-duty and without the workman comp protections associated with an on-duty response, it is up to each man to make a decision as to whether it's prudent to act and risk the safety of his family.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-10-2016, 04:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scfire86
    replied

Exactly, and in none of the areas in which I have worked or volunteered, had squatting in abandoned or vacant buildings been an issue, so there was no need to put members at risk, which was my point years ago when this was a heated discussion.

Like you, I would likely handle the same discussion with the fools on this site differently now.
    Once again you miss the point. The point is that you claim to bear the mantle of being a fire department or firefighter whose task is protecting the public. Be honest with the citizens you claim to serve who might believe that you are there protecting them.

You repeatedly stated that you wouldn't even attempt to save someone from a burning vehicle if you were off duty. Something many of us have done without our safety gear available.

Just don't make the claim that your ideas of firefighting should be the norm. Yes you have an obligation to ensure your crew's safety. But your statements are one of being over cautious to the point of being ineffective. I worked for three decades as a company officer. Rarely did I have all the proper resources and manpower that you demand be in place to mount a proper attack that would be considered a textbook operation.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    fools ? finally take some testosterone shots buddy? good for you -maybe you can finally grow you a pair.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    I'm not going to battle again on that point. But I will say knowing your area plays a part. My bet is the probability of squatters in an urban area or an economically down turned area is higher than in rural or more economically well off areas.
    Exactly, and in none of the areas in which I have worked or volunteered, had squatting in abandoned or vacant buildings been an issue, so there was no need to put members at risk, which was my point years ago when this was a heated discussion.

Like you, I would likely handle the same discussion with the fools on this site differently now.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    I'm not going to battle again on that point. But I will say knowing your area plays a part. My bet is the probability of squatters in an urban area or an economically down turned area is higher than in rural or more economically well off areas.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X