X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace Officer/Fire Fighter-in-one....

Howdy All,
    Was wondering: How many of y'all out there are certified cops/firefighters. This is not put out there specifically for PSO's at a select few locations, (although I more than welcome your responses....), rather, for the ones that are full time cops, and volunteer in departments.

Myself, USAF law enforcement, vollie FD, for example.
    How is it working for you.....I mean, do you think it gives you a different perspective on things? How about authority? Do you deal with people better, or worse? Our fire marshal/AI is a Houston cop---mostly cause he's the only one that is TCLEOSE certified. DO you get a better view of the overall "big picture" at times? What gives, I'm curious to see if any of y'all have somthing to say either positive or negative about the issue

C'mon guys, help a brother out.....

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: huff317 ]
    Oklahoma Bound!

Hey, I know of a guy who is a full time cop and a firefighter also. Its too bad that he can't tell them apart-we'll be on scene of a fireground op and all of a sudden he is doing police ops and ordering the cops around and heading up an investigation ( he's the police chief ). It really causes for some hard times for the rest of the firefighters when he plays cop when he should be a firefighter-Oneway or the Other!
    "Stay Safe, Stay Low and lets Rock-n-Roll"

Comment

I am one of those full time cops and volunteer (paid-by-the-call) firefighters. Fortunately, my cop job is not in the same jurisdiction as my cop job, and in Ohio you are only a cop in the geographical area you are employed by. Overall, I think it has been a benefit to me to be cross trained since I am also a member of the County Fire Investigations Unit. I am very comfortable with interviewing witnesses,preparing reports and collecting evidence. I also don't mind things like directing traffic or crowd control which many firefighters seem to shy away from.

On the down side, it has been awkward at times when we are at scenes where someone is becoming disorderly and decides that they want to fight with the local police officers. When another cop needs help, my loyalties have to go with where my bread and butter come from. I have no hesitation in assisting another police officer in making an arrest when necessary.
      Richard Nester
      Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Thanks sarge & metalmedic,
        that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for..

Our guys usually show up in one capacity only.

BTW, MM, have you had to assist in arrests very much? What do the subjects have to say/think about a FF jumping their ***?

Anyone else?

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: huff317 ]
        Oklahoma Bound!

Comment

I was both in my city/Fire district for several years. I have since given up the cop job due to FF being more satisfiing. The FD that I am on is Vollie and there are several that are in both capacities now. It does affect your perspective and objectivity. Though there are some humorous times. One time my house got shot up and the next time that I went on a fire call there was a target stuck to the back of my bunker coat. The only real problem at the time was the chief of police that told me not to get the two confused when I was being a cop. Also being an EMT the Police dept wouldnt spring for the gear to use the training.

Comment

Originally posted by huff317:

BTW, MM, have you had to assist in arrests very much? What do the subjects have to say/think about a FF jumping their ***?

I've only been in this position a couple times. Once was on an EMS call for attempted suicide where the guy we were treating went off on us, so I actually was first with hands on. The other was at a crash scene where I don't think the arrestee was sober enough to tell the difference. However, his brother that was there had a fit and had to be restrained briefly by some other firefighters. When they explained to him that I was a cop, he calmed down. It wasn't pretty... but it wouldn't have been pretty no matter how it would have been handled...
            Richard Nester
            Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

the ability to do both has helped on mainly drug/alcohol EMA runs when someone let us into their house and we see illegal paraph. or someone saying how much they have been drinking or drugs they have used not knowing they are giving us all the PC that we need.
              Plus, it makes for a real "kodak moment" to see someone being cuffed by people in turnout gear.
              FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
              **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...