X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firemt47
    replied
    eCappy: Well I have tried to call her but she won't talk. She has her husband screaning her calls. I have paged her and left notes for her. But it does not matter any more, I lost my job because of her.

Leave a comment:

• eCappy
    replied
    Friendship is one of the best parts of firefighting; it's hand in glove, but I have rules such as always being honest, NEVER discussing other firefighters' personal issues, and keeping my nose out of other firefighters' business.

Firemt47: A question; Why haven't you and your friend talked in over 2 months? Have any clues?

See that? I just broke one of my own rules and poked my nose into your business by asking "why?"

See how easy it is to make mistakes? I'll bet the 2 month lapse you described might be over a silly mistake, something unintentional, a misunderstanding.

Are your fingers broken? If not pick up the phone and give her a call.

Leave a comment:

• FireLt1951
    replied
    Here the officers and the firefighters get along great on and off the job. We're all very tight.

We had a commissioner that was a cop and he could not comprehend officers and the lower ranks getting along so well. He felt you couldn't be a good boss and a friend too. To that I say B.S.

Good thing they sent him packing back to the police department where he can keep his holier than thou attitude against his lowly police officers. Because we let him know in no uncertain terms, this is the way it is and you're not changing it. I see no problem with this at all. Just follow orders at the scenes is all I ask of my firefighters.

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

Leave a comment:

• Mike W
    replied
    Our personnel have very good friendships with their officers. Hell, we go eat after trainings all the time.

Some people may call you a suck ***.
    But, I got new gear out of it.

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    exactly right Gonzo...

I was friends with my personnel and when i was a firefighter I eaven carpooled with my Captain.

And friendship can still exist at work. But...there has to be that line you dont cross when working.

I was in a small department today and witnessed the Chief come out...sit down and read the paper with the shift. Then they proceded to talk about how they were going to work on one of the f/fs house he was adding on. The Chief offered his help. What a concept!

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    Captain Gonzo just read my mind.

Right on Gonzo!!

Lt.Jason Knecht
    Altoona, WI

Leave a comment:

• mtnfireguy
    replied
    Ditto to what Gonzo said!

Leave a comment:

• GO4IT
    replied
    their should be no problem doing things together..unless the officer is " too good to be with the common folk"

Leave a comment:

• Captain Gonzo
    replied
    Frienship is friendship, and I value the firendships that I have, including members of my Department and my group (Chiefs, Captains, Lieutenants and Firefighters).

Business is business. On the fireground, it's my responsibility for the safety my personnel and to the public that we serve.

One can have both, but when it's time for business, don't expect preferential treatment just because you are a friend of mine. I will never ask anyone to do something that I wouldn't do, and if I'm willing to do it, I expect my personnel to do it, too...as part of the team effort.

Leave a comment:

• fire-inst
    replied
    Do you work for this captain? Anyway the guys on my company get together for golf, fishing, etc. We are friends but we also know where we fit in at the station. I think it is good for a company officer to do things outside his department with the guys so that he can learn more about them and in turn it helps him to be better able to help them grow and advance.

Leave a comment:

• Firemt47
    started a topic Officers and Blue shirts as friends

Officers and Blue shirts as friends

I have a questions out there for everyone. I have a friend that is a Captain. We do stuff outside of the station. The nice thing is that we vent to each other. See both of our husbands are also firefighters. Oddly enough we both met them in different training classes about 4 months apart. My question is, is it OK for officers and blue shirts to have a friend ship outside of the department? My friend has not talked to me in over 2 months. Thanks

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X