Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhat along the same line of this topic... How many of you have underground service in your area? You know, the transformer boxes that sit ground level. I've seen pics from an local electric company taken of ff's trying to pry one open that was smoking. Might as well get the aluminum ladder up on a pole as well. Elect. company told us to copy the number on the sides of the box and pass it on to them and they can reroute power away from that box. Sometimes they just explode and the panel doors are designed to take the blast but once that happens, I've told my guys that the money is spent for it already and just standby till they get there.
    "[email protected]"

Comment

Hosekey..the Chief would never let it get that far...he was making a point and the guy got it. Simple.

Sort of like the time we got called out for a transformer blown and sparking with wires down on one end of a street and a transformer blown and two poles down on the other end during a hurricane. We got toned out at 7pm and stayed there until 3am the next morning. I had a guy pull up to our end of the road - the one with two poles down and live wires all over the place on the road, by houses and in the woods next to the homes - and tell me that he was leaving his car there and walking through the woods to his home. I told him he wasn't. He told me "if I get electrocuted you will just have to come in and get me and make sure I am OK and take me out of the woods...so I am going". I looked him right in the eye and said "Mister, if I hear BBBBBBBBBZZZZZZ AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!, I ain't going anywhere near those woods...you walk past this truck and into those woods and you are on your own. I am not required by law to go in after you. You were told to stay out, and that is all the warning I am required to give you." He looked at me saw I was dead serious and got back in his car and went away. Sometimes the only way to get their attention is to get right to the point no matter how much they might not like it. We deal with the public a lot and I have no problem putting my foot down when needed...most times I am very polite and courteous, but if someone insists on being an idiot I let them know about it.
      Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

Any resident in my NJ municipality who even tries "getting in the Chief's face" (or any IC officer for that matter), or who tries disobeying a firefighter's public safety directive (as described by hctrouble25) is, with just a snap of the finger or a nod, promptly arrested by the police officer assigned to the incident for a disorderly persons offense.

Comment

Wires down are one of those calls that are usually nothing but can very quickly turn into something. For example we responded to a transformer fire about a month ago that brought the primary down on a garage, which very quickly escalated into a working structure fire (1 in a 100 call!!). Our SOP's state that if it is just an arcing wire we will tape off the area and leave an officer in POV with a prep on the scene. If the wire is down or has the DEFINATE possibility of comming down we will sit on it with the engine until the power company arrives.

Comment

For us, wires down is a Duty Officer Non-Emergency call. Officer gets the pole number and notifies dispatch who notifies the power company. The officer then babysits until PD takes over the scene (usually 5-10 minutes, we're pretty lucky).

Stay Safe

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X