This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which brings up an idea I had once...

Build a firehouse in some third world metropolis, and charge pennsylvania volunteers to come down and ride. You know a 1 week all-inclusive deal.

Comment

Double Local

I've always wondered who you were. After your last 2 posts I've narrowed it down. I won't out you on here though.

If by reading the "World of Fire" forum is any indication of who's goin to fires, the St. Louis and Baltimore areas seem to go to a lot of fires.

Comment

OK well, I didn't realize how broad of a question it could be. I will try to be a little more specific in the future.

Did I meet any of you guys from DC at that bar across from the expo?

Comment

% to 10 years ago I would have to say Lawrence Ma, but they have not been doing the fires as of late. Even when they did, it was nothing compared to what Boston , FDNY, Chicago did in the 70's or early 80's.
          ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

Comment

CMack, quite possibly yes. If it was 10:00 am and i was into my cups, that is.

Comment

Squadman -

We're talking companies, not departments...by that measure, some of the companies in PG County would be up there, given that we're measuring per capita. Hell, I could be totally wrong, but it seems pretty busy there, given the number of people who live in the county.

Never been there myself, but I've seen their run totals...pretty impressive, on a per-company basis.

I just visited Washington, DC, by the way. Beautiful city! It's come a long way since that crackhead mayor left (no disrespect to you or the city...but that guy couldn't brush his teeth in the morning without shooting up...and he got re-elected...go figure!)

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: BucksEng91 ]
              "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Comment

I believe Firehouse did a run survey last month on the busiest companies in the country...HOWEVER it was based on EMS & Fire runs. Busiest company in regards to actually catching working fire (not car or dumpster) from my knowledge would probably be Engine 50 in Detroit, but I am sure that some companies in FDNY or other metropolisis probably come close or beat out Detroit, but I would not be afriad to put my $1 with the boys of Eng. Co. 50!

Comment

Hey citywide...i am curious as to who you think I am, however I'll give you this hint...I am not detailed to the T.A.

Comment

Double Local.......were you with two other guys that Thursday morning? If so that was me....how ya been?

Comment

I would not count on the numbers that are published in F.H. There are many cities like Detroit that do not report their totals in a truthful manner i.e Detroit. This city tends to try and hide as many numbers as possible. Some companies here will report their numbers to F.H. on their own.

Engine 50 is one of the top companies in the city along with others whose numbers were never posted. This city loves to fudge and hide the actual numbers to their advantage and are rarely truthful when they do give them.

I have no doubt that other cities are inclined to do the same. I may be off by 1 to 3, but Detroit averages 50-60 fires a day, but the city would deny this because it shows the poor conditions here, which they do not want the people to know. They have even gone as far at times as to order our Batallion Chiefs not to order 2nd alarms, just ask for extra companies and consider it just a single box alarm.

Yes we are are busy city, with busy companies just like D.C., Boston, New York and other larger urban areas. Whose the busiest? Who really knows. Fire here is what we term as a method of urban renewal.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

Comment

Thats what I was saying Loo, There is no real way of telling what any dept truely ran for calls. I used FH as an example.
                        ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

Comment

squadman911
                          nobody said nothing about p.g.county being a big city or even mentioned it as a big city. some of their stations run a lot of fire and calls in basic, like silver hill, seat pleasant, kentland, and morningside. they all see a lot of fire.

Comment

Ok now how in the bloody blue blazes can you take Chicago off the list???Take DC also cause they run the most med per capita(read a year ago if not so now sorry)FDNY ran a million EMS and half that of fire.I will agree that Oct 30 is the busiest for Detroit and would put them near the top plus they do have a lot of fires any other day too.I was driving through Detroit once and they had 3 workers get called out in the space of one minute!1 went to a second alarm and the others were handled by the initial companies.But the logic is flawed by the poster.If all the cities were the same size who would get the most fires.Depends on if you let NYC have the Bronx be a part of your equation along with Brooklyn or do you throw them out and only use Staten Island and Queens?
                            Plus I think you would have to count ALL calls that were fire related.Why count only the ones?Just curious is all.

Comment

Well according the the Firehouse Magazine Run Survey the top 3 busiest cities are...
                              1. New York City - 1,513,887 calls
                              2. Chicago - 349,083 calls
                              3. Los Angeles - 316,766 calls
                              Thank you FDNY, you will never be forgotten

Comment

Maybe I'm outta my tree...but I'd say Detroit or Houston (I think HFD station 46, or 48...cant remember. But it seemed like a guy I knew there was ALWAYS on a working fire call).

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: bgfdchick ]
                                We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...