This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights for volunteers

I would like to know what types of lights, if any, volunteer firefighters in North America are allowed to use while responding to emergency calls. In Nova Scotia, Canada we are not allowed to use any lights while responding to calls, not even 4 way flashers. With the exception of the chief and deputy chief. I am trying to get our fire marshall to allow us to use green lights, but he believes that they are not needed, although they are used in Ontario.

In PA volunteers are allowed to run with blue lights. Your vehicle must be registered with the state police if you run with a blue light. Chiefs can run red lights and sirens, there are certain size requirements (number of trucks in your fleet) that determine how many of your other officers under chief can run red lights and sirens. In my company, many members who live close to the station do not even run blue lights. Those living farther away do. Drivers in PA do not have to yield right of way to blue lights. Hope that is some help to you.

Comment

To Zinck32

The Laws of the land will vary... In Florida we use RED, up North are blue,

From your profile I read your from a small town in NS Can. And if you have your own police dept, and you work well with them they might close one eye if you have your flashers on.

But the LAW is the LAW. don't break it just bend it....

Please Note. your Fire Chief has a lot of say in this matter, and if your dept. has a couple of light nuts you will have him in a Ford Pinto with three light bars, strob kits in front and rear, and wig-wag headlights, useing his alarm system for a siren. Going 100 mph through a school zone.

If your chief lets you put a light on your POV he has to let everbody... unless your the light nut in your dept, just kidding.

But you have to check your local Laws to see what they say, because they might have changed, but most of them are so far behind it's not funny,,,

Some states in the USA say a vol. FF and only have one light,(bulb) with a candle power no brighter then 50cp that Only face's to the front NO REAR at all... whitch is a dome light that flashes blue or red... but a lot of firemen have lightbars, dash lights, strobs, wig-wags and some have them all at the same time...

Comment

In Maine, as of right now, we can run one light on our dash or in the grille, red in color, on our personal vehicles. The chief and his deputies are the only ones that can deviate from that. In our laws, if memory serves me, it still states something along the lines of the light shall not be more than 5" in diameter, facing foward, and as close to the front registration plate as practicle.

we have tried previously to have that changed so we could at least use a lightbar or have the law allow us to have 360 degree protection, and that was shot down at least once that I know of There are people that are working to push a law to change that though.
        Loo
        Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
        Protective Services Officer

Comment

Aberrta and B.C. use green lights. I have don't use one, nor does anyone in my dept. I have never seen the need as I live within 3.4 and 7.3 kilometers of our 2 halls. As a 1st responder, I have responded up to 20 kilometers to a call, and still never seen the need. Unless the publicle are educated in the use of green lights they tend to ignore them. Hell they ignoreRED lights on BRT's
          "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Comment

In texas ive seen vollies running red and blue and clear and whatever else galls has.Green is used to signify I.C. I was told some time back , that p.o.v. responses with lights in texas were supposed to be red but I guess its up to the chief or city manager in the end.

Comment

Colorado has a state statute for volunteers lights and alarm systems. You can use red or white or a combination of them both. You can also utilize a siren. Green is only used for the designation of a command post. Blue cannot be used for volunteers although some do attempt to use blue until the state patrol sternly advises them to remove the blue. You can go to www.state.co.us and look for state statutes it is # 42-4-222. Even though there is a law regarding emergency lights, that does not designate your vehicle as an authorized emergency vehicle.

Comment

Hey Zinck32,

It's the same thing here in New Brunswick. We aren't allowed to have lights. At least you guys had plates long time before we ever did! We just got ours last July...... figure that one out
                Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Comment

In ohio volleys run red or red and white, but in my hometown the chief has final say. we also ran sirens in our P.O.V. Most of us ran dash lights but some had mini and aull lightbars.

Comment

In South Carolina you can run red/clear lights, wig-wags, siren, etc unless your department says otherwise. Blue is for Law Enforcement only. Your POV is considered an Authorized Emergency Vehicle if you utilize lights and siren.

Comment

As (TWT-FF/P) mentioned, In Texas just about any color is displayed. In accordance with Tx State laws, however, Only red is to be diplayed, and a siren must accompany it. There are a few regulations that state the actual placement, and visual requirements on the lights, as well as the audible requirements for the siren. But as TWT-FF/P stated, you see all colors of the rainbow down here...I think its embarrasing to have all the people with "Rainbow Lightbars" going by. Red and maybe an amber or two facing rear is good enough. My opinion is that they are trying to look like police cars from far away! That is what gives Vol. Firefighters a bad rep with the public and thats why more and more depts are getting rid of lights/sirens.

Just my thoughts, and my knowledge thus far in life........
                      FFJBARRIE<br />MY BROTHERS CALL ME "BOOBARRIE"

Comment

In PA, in addition to blue lights, our dept. also allows wig-wags or grille-mounted strobes. All depends on the chief, really. And we DO NOT use light bars. Looks pretty bad on private cars, when you think of it.
                        Hey, stay safe.

Comment

Virginia allows volunteers to run red or white lights on the dash, roof or grille. Wig-wags or hide-aways are not allowed. We are also not allowed to break any traffic laws while responding and other drivers do not have to yield to us. I think Virginia places some limits to the types of system you can have such as limiting the number of bulbs or "systems". Our chief allows any member to use a red or white light as long as it conforms to the state regulations and as long as we use it in a responsible and safe manner.
                          Captain 203
                          FF/EMT-CT

Comment

In Indiana no more than two lights on top of vehicle visible 360* blue in color, you can also have 2 blue alternating grille lights at bumper level only if you have the roof light can you use the grille lights nothing else can be legally used.
                            FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
                            **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Comment

In Connecticut, Volunteer POV's can use blue lights and wig-wag headlights only. The Chief must authorize the use of both (police chief must authorize wig-wags) on a Blue Light Permit.

The same applies for Vol Ambulance- Green and Wig Wags.

Only Authorized Emergency Vehicles may use red / clear / Siren. Authorized emergency vehicles in CT are apparatus, police cruisers, ambulances, 3 cheif officers of the fire department, Fire Marshal, and Emergency Management Director(s).

Wreckers, Snow Removal Vehicles, and Mail Delivery vehicles may use amber. Anyone else that wants amber needs and Amber Light Permit from DMV.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X