• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    efd281
    Forum Member

• efd281
    replied
    3,000 lbs

No, the apparatus is advertised with 3,000 lbs LIFTING capabilities. I'm sure that some of the departments who have one of these could tell you that there are pleanty of uses for the 20' lifting arm. Hoisting fallen objects, rappelling from a bridge!? I've been to the plant, the sales reps. all brag about it's capabilities. Open up your mind and try to envision more uses than just an aerial waterway.

Leave a comment:

• E74A
    Forum Member

• EdShanks
    replied
    Epinephrine writes: "The only downside to it I've seen is that to safely load the 5" back into the bed, the aerial needs to be raised."

Yeah, but our white-shirts didn't want a rear-mount because they didn't want the hose to pay out through a chute. What? Ask the guyw who'll use it? Not here! *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• 42VTExplorer

• 42VTExplorer
    replied
    EFD,

I think the 3000 pound lifting capability is a "safety" feature, it's not a crane.

3000 pounds is fully retracted, 20 feet out from the center of the truck roughly. Why would you want to park your apparatus so close? 20 feet away is a little too close IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• efd281
    Forum Member

• efd281
    replied
    Family Owned Since 1890

Sutphen is still a family owned company. They are not sell outs like most others. The 5th generation is thick into the sales force now. they have been family owned since 1890 and there looks to be no end in sight.

I would like to correct myself - earlier I said Rescue/Truck company when I meant Rescue/Engine company. In areas where low angle rescues are prevalant - this boom makes a great addition to your arsenal. It's also nice to know that if you need a car lifted and can't afford to wait that you have a capable crane onscene with you. I did not mean that a department should look to use this as an effective aerial for rescues from buildings. Obviously 61' doesn't get you very far.

And for all of the Piece (oops I mean Pierce)lovers. Piece (there I go again) is about as far from innovators as I've seen. They make several false claims about their "NEW" aluminum ladder that are just Flat-Out-Lies. And they act like aluminum was their idea!!! HAHAHAHA
    It's all that Sutphen has ever used!!!

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    Forum Member

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    Sutphen is still (to the best of my knowledge) still American and family owned.

Leave a comment:

• 42VTExplorer

• 42VTExplorer
    replied
    The 61' water tower from Sutphen would be an excellent choice for a rescue/truck company. Fully retracted the aerial is rated to lift 3,000 pounds. You heard me right - 3,000 pounds. That is with a 3:1 saftey factor also. .
    IMHO, I don't believe this Sutphen makes that great of an aerial device. While at NEFCS I got to look at an E-One "version" of this Sutphen. All numbers aside, price, how much it can lift, all that, I don't think I'd want to make a rescue from it. Try to get a look at it's waterway. It's big and bulky, the monitor is right at the tip of the ladder. The height of the sides of the ladder is really small, I know I don't want to climb it.

Now to the numbers part of it. Fully retracted, it lifts 3000 pounds. When are you going to have your "vehicle" parked that close, that you're going to use a "20 foot 4 inch" section (Please excuse the rough numbers, I didn't find the length of the water tower fully retracted). Can't ladder a building like that, your water tower's tip is in the way. Even if you drop it straight down while that close the building, you'd probably not be able to do a rescue because of the angle.

More numbers. Let's assume that a 30 foot tall house is set back from the road by 25 feet. No curb (yet ) and the truck is right on the edge between the grass and road. If you use the Pythagorian Theorem, where C is the maximum aerial length, 40 feet of your aerial is used to just cover that distance. "2" of your sections. Now lets add in a sidewalk ( +4 feet away ). Oh, the waterway's turntable isn't right centered on the edge, add in 4 more feet to account for a small gap between the sidewalk and it's center.

So, 33 foot gap between house and center of the waterway's turntable,30 foot tall house. Same process as above using the Pythagorian Theorem, 44.5 feet get used to *reach* the building. What happens if you don't get "optimal" conditions, parked a bit away from the curb, house is a little further set back? You're screwed.

The cost of these units is comparable to a "standard" ladder or tower. Once again, while at the NEFCS, the reps pretty much told us, "If you're looking to get a quint for full time use, get something like a 75 foot ladder, the cost is not that much more, and the usability is that much greater". Something to that extent atleast.

It's a good solid engine, but is certainly NOT a truck company. It's an engine with an elevated master stream.
    Exactly. It's just as he said. It's not a truck company, but an engine with elevated master stream. Oh, the master stream has a ladder on it too
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Epinephrine
    MembersZone Subscriber

• Epinephrine
    replied
    Is there any difference to that "new rescue pumper with a 61 foot boom?"
    and this?

http://www.sutphen.com/Sutphen%20Watertowers/wattwr.htm

If not... It's really not new, and has been around for atleast 2 years from Sutphen. It's a good solid engine, but is certainly NOT a truck company. It's an engine with an elevated master stream. I know a department in my area runs one of these, and they run it as an engine. It works greats, and rides nice. The aerial can be used as a stick, as it has a fairly solid ladder, but I would think it would only be used as such in a pinch. Again, it's a good soild engine, high quality (but who would expect less from Suthpen?), and runs great as a rescue pumper.

The only downside to it I've seen is that to safely load the 5" back into the bed, the aerial needs to be raised. Cost may be a downside, as it's cost came in only a hundred or two less than a 75' quint.

Pics of the rescue pumper mentioned above:
    Pic 1
    Pic 2

Leave a comment:

• E74A
    Forum Member

• EdShanks
    replied
    >>
    What is the deal with this new rescue pumper with a 61 foot boom that is supposed to be new from Sutphen?
    <<

I'll let you know when ours comes in. Yeah, we have one on order.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMikey
    Forum Member

• CaptainMikey
    replied
    E-ONE is number one, then supthen then pierce

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    63 Years & Still Rolling

• hwoods
    replied
    Root Beer Brown????????????

We bought a Sutphen Platform in 1970. Sold it in '91 for more than we paid for it. Bought a Seagrave in '92. I'd rather have the Sutphen back. BTW, It's Chrome Yellow. See it at www.gdvfd18.com

Leave a comment:

• Medic162
    MembersZone Subscriber

• Medic162
    replied
    Originally posted by BucksEng91
    Just buy a Pierce....
    concur

Leave a comment:

• efd281
    Forum Member

• efd281
    replied
    Sutphen 61' Aerial

The 61' water tower from Sutphen would be an excellent choice for a rescue/truck company. Fully retracted the aerial is rated to lift 3,000 pounds. You heard me right - 3,000 pounds. That is with a 3:1 saftey factor also. At the plant they told me testing stories about lifting an employees pick-up truck off of the ground with it. When will people learn that Sutphen has been building the best aerials for over 40 years - hands down #1. Ask any Sutphen owner and they will tell you how much they love and trust their truck. I have heard 1 negative comment about the Sutphens - A volunteer on my department worked for a while in Colorado and they ran Sutphens at that dept. He said he didn't like them!! Naturally I had to know why???? He said "They were painted root beer brown." Other that that he told me they ran like champs. Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• E74A
    Forum Member

• Ed Shanks
    replied
    TruroFAO wrote:

>>

Mahoning County??? A mofia stronghold?
    You oughta spend a couple days in the capital city, and see 'who
    are the people in OUR neighborhood...'

<<

Hey, Truro, don't you read the papers or listen to the news? We (I'm daysleeper's neighbor) got a Congressman here who's up on 10 counts of corruption, illegal activities, etc. We've got judges, lawyers, a county prosecutor, a county sherriff, a county commissioner, and more elected officials than you could shake a halligan at all in jail after being convicted of RICO violations and other corrupt activities. Many of these convictions came about because one Mafia kingpin's brother spilled his guts. That started things rolling.

...and organized crime is still around just like it always was. The feds didn't even put a dent in it.

Nothin' personal, but you guys down there in Columbus have a few corrupt officials. We have a few who aren't.

Leave a comment:

• dcfa20
    Forum Member

• dcfa20
    replied
    I was intrigued the first two times I tried the link, now I just don't care anymore. If you want me to buy it, show it or stow it! It kinda reminds me of a guy bragging about haw fast his car is, but he never gets it out of the garage!

(I reserve the right to change my mind later...)

Leave a comment:

• BucksEng91
    Forum Member

• BucksEng91
    replied
    My post was a little more subtle than Truckman's but...I have to agree.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X