This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how's this for mud in yer eye?

ok..lets begin..I lived in NJ for a few years after leaving Texas. I got a great deal of training and certifications while there. I moved back here to a lil place near Houston and joined a partial paid/vol department. They made me take a rookie class, and put in 13 training meetings to be voted in as a full member. Ok, so big deal..I decided to move in w/my fiance and moved about 7 miles away. NEVER RESIGNED, but did tell them I was moving for now. 5 months into the lease, we decided to move back to the area so I could re-join. The chief even told me I could begin where I left off...yeah right! No sooner than my first meeting after moving back, do I hear the words "you have to put in 13 meetings to be brought back in, after a vote". Then, "Gear??, we don't have any...and don't want to order new gear right now!"
    How's that for mud in yer eye? All the officers are paid, and most of the firefighters are too. Only a few vol's. Anyone know what I should do? I stopped showing up because I didn't see the need. Do paid and volunteer mixed dept all have this problem?
    FFJBARRIE<br />MY BROTHERS CALL ME "BOOBARRIE"

sounds like they don't need volunteers very badly. it is to bad that you want to help but they turn you away
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
    **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Comment

What's the policy for leaving and returning? In our department, if you don't attend so many consecutive training/business meetings, you're considered inactive, and upon returning you start all over with just like a newbie. You can go on a leave of absence for six months, and return under the same conditions you left.

If I were you I'd find out the policy for leaving and returning before I did anything. It maybe they have no choice in the matter.

Comment

Jeez! it must be nice to have a department that is so well off that they can afford to torture experienced firefighters with a bunch of bull $h!t rookie stuff, I guess I wish we were that well off. I wouldn't waste my time. I personally have never moved, but we've had quite a few experienced firefighters move to our town after researching the fire departments in the area. They usually work within 20-30 minutes of here, and with no ties to the area can pretty much choose which town they want to live in, thus choosing which department to join. Sounds like some research before moving could have been beneficial.

-Nick

Comment

Always get things in writing....It will save you a lot of grief.
          "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
          -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

If there is one thing I have learned in the volunteer fire service it is you should more or less roll out the red carpet for experienced firefighters. What happened yo you is absurd.
            Mike DeVuono
            FF/EMT

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

Comment

A couple of years ago I moved into a new area. I already had all my state certifications, so, once I was voted on I was clear to run calls. I had to do some department orientation training, but that's expected. In this day and time, with volunteers becoming harder to come-by, you would think they would take experienced firefighters with open arms. Sounds like they might not want volunteers, just paid staff.

Comment

Try to stick it out. Go back. put up with the crap, and use your training and experience. Work your way up the rank and file. Then after a few years, use your influence to propose some GRADUAL changes. If you want to be part of the fire/resq service in your community, then maybe try that. Hope it helps. Good luck..Pat

Refer to a post by 'OTTIS' entitled "Old Boys Club-How Do I Change Their Minds" in this forum. Something there may be of assisstance.

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: PEI Pat ]

Comment

I sounds like a good ole boys club and you ain't one. I thought only in you home state of Jersey is it that volunteer fire companies refuse to admit quailified/certified applicants

I would tell it like it is send a letter to you local newspaper for one. Second if the fire company/department is funded by taxes, that is to say, the rigs, gear and training, you should attend a town council/commisioners meeting and voice your issues.

Good Luck
                  The views and opinions expressed herin are my personal views and opinions and not those of any organization, department I may belong to or represent

Comment

That's a great point! I am 98% positive that we are tax $ funded...i'll have to check in on the meetings....thanks for everyone's help...

Comment

FFJBarrie,
                      Think hard about notification of the elected officials or the letter to the paper. If you truely want to be a member then these actions will burn the bridge.

It isn't your fault that these guys have lost the idea of the "mission". If you have your certifications and your trained, then they are not thinking in the best interests of those that they have been sworn to protect. There may be many issues why they don't want you, some that have been brought to your attention already in this post. Some may not be so obvious.

While it may be painful and difficult to do it the way PEI Pat has suggested. You can never be a change agent if you are on the outside and letters to the editor, and notification of elected officials will surely put you on the outside looking in.

Just my two cents and that won't even buy one.

Comment

I agree that you should not turn away good vollies. But maybe there is something not seen yet. If they are a lower budget co. (poor) maybe they can not shell out the bucks for a guy who moves around alot.
                        Texas to Jeresy move 1
                        Jersey to small town move 2
                        small town to other town move 3
                        other town back to small town move 4
                        it's a lot of bouncing around maybe they want to see if you are gonna stick around this time.
                        the truth never hides for long

Comment

Hey Boo,
                          What part of Houston and how far are you from Huffman? We are across lake houston/atascocita/humble.
                          I Say to @#!! with those clowns, come run with us!

BTW, email me, maybe I can get you some info on other departments that would love to get ahold of ya!

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: huff317 ]
                          Oklahoma Bound!

Comment

ok, lets start with the budget reply... They have an annual budget of $750,000/yr. Most of it comes from running EMS calls. Maybe just under, but last year that's what it was.

"570eck- moving around...."
                            I moved from Texas at age 13..that was 10yrs ago. I moved here 2 yrs ago, almost 3 now.. I was with them for a yr and a half before moving a few miles away. I stayed in contact and notified the chief before I came back to see if it was a good idea. Afterall, why move back purposely to a dept that is upset from losing you. So I decided to move back, which should be a sign, so I could re-join the crews I grew to be a part of.

As far as right now, I have not been to a meeting for a few months due to the lack of desire to welcome me back in. I had no disiplinary record or anything. From what I see, they just want to be a dept of all paid staff!

Comment

Your situation confirms that firefighters come in two sizes; small and large.

The small ones bark a lot, give headaches, and are at their best when they're making things hard ..... and miserable.

The big ones kept their mouths shut, work hard, help make things easy, and end up being the most valuable ..... and respected.

What size are you?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X