Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the magazines (can't remember which one) had a lengthy discussion in the past about cellulose insullation, and recommended that even for the tiniest fires in the stuff, to clear a large perimeter of the stuff away. Because esentially it is pretty much just dried up newspaper and it doesn't take much for this stuff to take off...
    Mike DeVuono
    FF/EMT

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

Comment

Sorry Brother but there is never a rekindle, it is always a non-extinguishment.

That being said there is always the owner of the property giving "CPR" to the area and before you know it you are back at the scene doing your thing.

So if you do your job there will not be a rekindle unless someone helps it along.

Just my thoughts.

Stay low - Be cool

Comment

I know that this thread was started with structure fires in mind, but may I present something we deal with much more? Grass/brush fires.

We went out on a grass fire last fall caused by a squirrel tangling with a transformer (Note for animal nuts: a squirrel is a rat with a tail 'fro, nothing more. With the fur burnt off, you'd never know the difference...). We went back out on it every day for SIX DAYS (I'm hesitant to even mention this). Never exactly determined what caused the "rekindles", but it had burned into the woods, and every time we had a "new" fire was in the woods. We cleared a line around the perimeter, moved all downed trees/branches laying across the line into the burned area, even cut down a few trees and still had problems.

My point is, effective overhaul out here on grass/brush fires is almost impossible. Even a small 30 acre fire in a pasture, it is almost beyond our resources to soak every smoldering branch, pile of cow manure (go ahead, laugh) and tree inside the burned area. We circle the perimeter several times, clear and extinguish any embers a good way back from the line, but all it takes is a change in wind direction and an increase in intensity.

We'll go out and check areas frequently with high "rekindle" potential, i.e. lots of smoldering trees near fields that could have embers blown from them, and the like.

Didn't mean to get off of the original subject, but it's a serious concern here int he Midwest.
        Bryan Beall
        Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Comment

The worst rekindle in US history took 3300 homes and 28 lives in 1990.

Comment

My own house caught up on Dec.27 of 99.. I was living an hour or so from where I am now. Firefighting on that day was sopoor it disgusted me This dept went against every thing I was ever taught.. It made me sick.. The house "rekindled" at 06"30 the next morning!! It was just poor and sorry firefighting no crews on scene to babysit.. Nothing!!! So since the year and a half since I've been back in the service My Dept has'nt had a single 1. So if I learned a lesson I act like its my own house I will stay until I find fire and its out!!!
            TC.379

Comment

I have had my share of rekindles or responded to someone else's. Not fun..and embarassing and even frustrating.

Best way to deal with it is to not be in a hurry to leave...do proper overhaul and check for extension extensively.... Hard to justfiy leaving and engine to sit on it as busy as we are today.....
              09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
              ------------------------------
              IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
              "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
              BMI Investigator
              ------------------------------
              The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Yeah I know in doylestown a little while ago there was a fire in an apartment complex and about 5 hours later it rekindled turning into a 2 alarmer.

Comment

SilverCity4
                  "Started as a structure thread...."
                  Well, if you get a "rekindle" in the brush, it'll gobble up nearby homes, right?
                  That has been the bulk of my experience with brush/grass fires, someone at one of the edges of the perimeter didn't do their job...
                  Needless to say, spent alot of DAYS at that one, just to contain the "rekindles"!

mongo_99
                  he said "urban renewal"---love it, dyin here!

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: huff317 ]
                  Oklahoma Bound!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...