This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's on the test?

Is there a site somewhere with sample firefighter tests? I would like to see the kinds of questions they ask. It would help me understand a little more about what you need to know to become a firefighter. (I already have a description of what is expected on the PAT.)

I don't know of a website that has stuff on it, but testing manuals from the library are a good place to start if you haven't already. I've taken tests that have been verbatim from Barron's or ARCO manuals, pictures and all.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Comment

Check out this web page. It may be what you are looking for. We just bought this program for designing an officer's test for our department. It is a long list of questions listed by category from IFSTA training manuals. You can choose the ones you want to put on a test and add some more of your own for your dept. It will also create an answer sheet for you and/or random choose questions for you. It is fairly easy to create a different test every time or the same test in a different order, which ever is better for you. Also on this website is a demo program that may help you out for what you are looking for.http://www.firedept.net/fits/
      Hope this helps

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Daron ]
      Daron

Comment

When you sign up for a test, many departments offer study guides, which are kind of helpful.

There really isn't a way to "study" for a test, but perhaps brushing up on skills (basic math, memory, etc.) will help.

Some departments execute a personality assessment with the test (work history/ethics, etc.). This is what tends to screw people from the get-go...some of the questions can be tricky. You need to be saavy to them, but don't lie!!!

I think there are several books out there. You might want to check those out too. Good luck!
        We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Comment

Check out the bookstore, Library or Amazon.com for a copy of BARRONS Firefighter Exams.....There are always recent (complete, with answers) tests from FDNY and Philly. in the bookstores, they're always in "Self-Help" or where other civil service test items are located.
          "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

I just took the City of Willimantic test, and it wasn't so bad. I would recommend studing basic math, geomitry, mechanics, and english. The English section was a killer, I consider myself to be fairly smart, but there was one out of about 25 questions I have ever even heard of. I don't know why they make that section so hard, but I can't imagine anybody taking that test could have passed it unless they were a english major. Hopefully that is just that dept. but if not, study up, and good luck...Stay Safe...Jay
            "WAS THAT BEFORE OR AFTER YOU REALIZED YOU WERE STANDING IN A $#@%*&% PUDDLE OF GASOLINE?"

Comment

Here's another one:
              www.fdny-studyguides.com
              Mike DeVuono
              FF/EMT

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X