Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gel Candles Exploding

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gel Candles Exploding

    I recieved the following message from a friend recently. Is there any truth behind this? Is there more to it? Or is this just a grudge against gel candles? Thanks for the input.

    > > Hi ,
    > > My former secretary had a terrible thing happen to her and
    > > her family last week, and I wanted to share it with all of you so
    > > that you could be warned and warn your friends and family as
    > > well. She had a gel candle burning in her bathroom...it exploded and
    > > caught her
    > > house on fire...the house burned down and they have lost everything.
    > >
    > > The fire marshal told her that this is not the first incident
    > > where a gel candle has exploded and caused a fire. He said that the gel
    > > builds up a gas, and often times it explodes and sets fire to the room
    it
    > > is
    > > in, which is what happened to her.
    > >
    > > The fire was so hot it melted the smoke alarm, and they
    > > didn't discover the fire until there was an explosion, which was
    > > her toilet blowing up, and then it was too late...the entire upstairs
    > > was engulfed in flames. Smoke damage and water damage have
    > > destroyed what wasn't destroyed by fire.
    > >
    > > I know that there are roomies and friends that I don't have
    > > on this list because I can't remember how to spell their screen
    > > names...please pass this along to anyone I missed. I wouldn't want
    > > this to happen to anyone else. Her family is devastated. All their
    > > mementos and everything of value and meaning are gone.
    > >
    > > I'm not trying to bring anyone down...just a friendly
    > > warning to all of you about the use of gel candles left
    > > unattended.
    > >
    > > Thanks and take care!
    > >
    > > NOTE: Marty and I know a lady who loves the gel candles.
    > > She had one burning on her mantle and it caught fire just like in
    > > the message above. She was at home at the time and saw it happen and
    > > grabbed the candle to keep it from setting her home on fire and it came
    > > apart in her hand. She saved her home but suffered 3rd degree
    > > burns to her hand and 3 fingers!

    [ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: afd284 ]

  • #2
    It does have some merit behind it...here is a link explaining it. http://www.snopes2.com/toxins/gel.htm
    Neptune 33

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks,

      That answers it perfectly.

      Comment


      • #4
        About four years ago I had a lit gel candle on the end table next to the couch where I fell asleep while watching TV. For some reason I woke up and realized the room seemed much brighter than it should have been. I looked up in time to see the surface of my gel candle completely in flames just beginning to scorch the lampshade above it! I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a pan cover and smothered the flames. The whole top half of the candle was melted to liquid which made it burn easily. The container was a shallow open cup, not the typical jar type that you would expect to build up heat. I threw it out and now I warn everyone not to buy them. I would like to see them pulled off the market completely.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've heard bad things about the Glade candles, as well. My mom's friend had a bad fire right before Christmas last year. Had she followed the directions (suggested burning limit), she probably wouldn't have had the fire.
          "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
          -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

          Comment


          • #6
            I also had a friend have one start a fire. In her case, it overheated, and the glass broke spewing flammable liquid all over the carpeting. $20,000 damage to a mobile home resulted.

            Comment

            300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

            Collapse

            Upper 300x250

            Collapse

            Taboola

            Collapse

            Leader

            Collapse
            Working...
            X