X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pres41
    replied
    Yes the bigger states have a higher population, but they also have a higher number of paid depts and if they protect a higher number of people then their tax base should be higher also thus more moneys available, the truley needy volunteer Depts in the small and rural states get screwed again

Leave a comment:

• Dalmatian90
    replied
    Gosh, imagine that...
    States with Big Populations getting most of the money.

California -- the most populus state at 33.8 million.
    Texas #2 at 20.8 million.
    Florida #4 at 15.9 million.

KS has 2.7 million
    NE has 1.7 million
    IA has 2.9 miilion
    MO has 5.3 million
    OK has 3.4 million
    SD has 0.8 million
    Combined that's 16.8 million people -- not much bigger than Florida, less than half of California.

I'd expect those big three states to get about 4 times as much as those small states listed, as they have four times the people to protect.

The grants are already being award 43% Career/57% Volunteer or Combination based on the % of the US Population protected by each -- so you're not going to see a huge slant towards rural areas. Career departments have better odds, since while there is a lot fewer departments protecting their 43%, while there is a lot more vollie departments numerically to carve up their 57%.

Leave a comment:

• John King
    replied
    I agree. It also looks like Florida and Texas are fairing pretty well themselves. I bet you could add all the grants that were awarded to the Midwest areas, such as KS, NE, IA, MO, OK, SD and they wouldn't total what the three states have recieved. Probably wouldn't total CA count. I know that only two depts. in KS have recieved grants from the first two rounds. There wasn't one in the first round. It's becoming a little bit disheartening while we sit and wait to here something for our small Vol. dept. Well, maybe hear something next week
    Be safe!

Leave a comment:

• pres41
    started a topic FEMA Grants

FEMA Grants

Am I wrong but do I see a large portion of these grants going to California, there seems to be a growing trend here. I just finished a sampling of both rounds of grants by state and no other state can touch California for the amount and size of grants. And, damn if those Paid Depts are that poor we volunteers are in real trouble. Looks like another goverment farce. O Well so much for us old east coast volunteer departments

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X