This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New type of math at FEMA?

Did anyone else notice that the Nome F.D. in Texas recieved a Fire Act Grant for $99,000 for vehicles? Did anyone else happen to notice that the Chief of that department said that his annual budget was ony $8,000?
    When I was making sure all of my I's were dotted and T's crossed, I happen to remember a little part of the application saying that you had to be able to provide the 10% or 30% matching funds from your budget.

That requirement played a major role in our applications in FF equipment and PPE catagories, especially considering our budget is half of what their budget is.
    The last time I was in classes at KSU, ten percent of $99,000 was $9,900. Isn't that approximately $1,900 more than what the Chief says is in their yearly budget?
    At this time I haven't heard anything from FEMA (positive or negative) regarding our applications.
    It seems to me that they didn't meet the requirements on the basis of being able to comply with the matching funds. Maybe they forgot to look at FEMA form 20-20 during the evaluation process? My understanding was that formm 20-20 is your proof to be able to match the needed percentage. Maybe I'm mistaken. He then stated (paraphasing) that their budget is the result of fundraising. If you've ever tried a fundraiser in a small community, how can that amount be set in stone?
    If you also noted this please let me know how you feel about it.

These views are mine and in no way reflect the views of the of the department.
    sigpic
    "Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

I remeber that portion of that form as well and we are stiil sitting on our 10% waiting to see whats going to happen. MAYBE someone "overlooked" it.

Comment

Maybe they have the funds set aside in a apparatus account that has built up over the years or they have a committment from the community or business. Just because there budget is low does not mean that they do not save money for a rainy day.

Comment

I agree with Anthony -- they may very well have donors ready to chip in the $10,000 to get a $100,000.
        IACOJ Canine Officer
        20/50

Comment

Greetings,

From what I was told, when my Deputy Chief went to Washington, D.C. in regards to the grant his observation was that the grants were "designed" for small vollie companies down south.

Secondly, take a "good" look at the F.D. and where it is located. It is in TEXAS. Think about this, where is President Bush from? Texas. What a surprise that a small F.D. from that state doesn't even have to have the requirements to get this grant )i.e. 10%-30% matching). This is just a personal observation and hopefully your info is wrong and that this F.D. deserved the grant, like we all do.

Comment

OK Folks,

Put up or shut up.

Please produce a copy of their application where it states they don't have the matching funds.

If you can, then there may be legitimately something to complain about!

I know where I'm from an Annual Budget is different from Capital Expenditures -- so it's entirely possible that they could have been building money in a capital improvement fund seperate from the operating budget.
            IACOJ Canine Officer
            20/50

Comment

This entire post is just plain SILLY!
              Bob Compton
              IACOJ-Proud
              IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Comment

I have been to Nome, TX and they NEED the money!
                Second, George W is not actually FROM Texas. He was the governor, and is now the President of the United States of America....ALL 49 of them.
                I do agree with ENG6511!

Comment

Sounds like some sore losers in the bunch!

Comment

Am I wrong but do I see a large portion of these grants going to
                    California, there seems to be a growing trend here. I just finished a
                    sampling of both rounds of grants by state and no other state can
                    touch California for the amount and size of grants. O Well so much
                    for us old east coast volunteer departments
                    Pres41 (Pete)
                    [email protected]

Comment

The way I see it-

We should be happy for them,they SURE DO NEED IT FROM THE INFO GIVEN HERE-----so grow up!!!!
                      Firefighter/CCEMT-P
                      May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Comment

The way I see it-

We should be happy for them,they SURE DO NEED IT FROM THE INFO GIVEN HERE-----so grow up!!!!
                        Firefighter/CCEMT-P
                        May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Comment

First off, this is a silly post. Second my dept had been saving for several years just to by a new portable pump to replace the half broken down one on our first out "pumper"(we couldn't afford a real pumper) then we heard about the grant and use that savings plus 75% of this years budget and donations from the community to come up with $4,000 as our 10% of a $40,000 grant to buy our first used pumper. So yes it is very possible to ask for more that your budget. No one should complain in anyway. We all just should be thankful that a $100 million is going to the fire industry no matter what dept. gets it.

Comment

Hmmm,

California is by *far* the largest state by Population. Over 10% of the US population lives in that state. Fewer FDs than on the East Coast 'cause of different patterns of development (more distinct boundaries between City and Country; geographically larger cities, cities that can still annex unlike the east). But they protect a lot of people.

At 33,000,000 residents California equals New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut combined.

Until you adjust for population, I wouldn't get your hair up in a knot over California -- my guess is they'll end up with about 10% of the Fire Grants, just like the population.

(Population stats at http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/st_population.htm )

btw, I concur with the comments this is a silly, whiny thread!
                            IACOJ Canine Officer
                            20/50

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...