This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical firefighters....

I know this is not a fire related post, but this is the most visited, so here it goes.

Who out there in the fire service plays an instrument or 2, and what brands, type of music do you play.

I play guitar, and music ranges from Led Zeppelin, SRV, Oasis, Pearl Jam, to Garth Brooks etc. I have a Martin D35 acoustic, a Fender Strat, and a Fender Tele.

Figured I would see what kind of response I could get.

Have fun, and be safe.
    John Williams
    NRFF1
    City of Clairton
    Fire / EMS

I play guitar. I like to play SRV, Hendrix, Metallica, jazz, pretty much everything. My main guitars are a Fender SRV Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul XR-III. (My gear is better than my playing though )

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: fireman14us ]

Comment

Les Paul...nice.... thats next on my agenda. : )

Forgot to mention, gotta love Neil Young on my Martin acoustic. That witha lil harmonica makes for a good night around the fire with some beer.

Take Care and Be Safe
      John Williams
      NRFF1
      City of Clairton
      Fire / EMS

Comment

Good Post.....at least I think so. Anyway, I play guitar, and I play anything from CCR and Eric Clapton, to Metallica and Pantera. My heros are Clapton, Vaughn, Hendrix, and Hetfield, and I can play a little of each. I recently started playing with a drumer who is more into the heavier styles of music, so I have been playing alot in the stlye of Metallica, Pantera, &AC/DC.

My gear isn't too special..I have a Martin Stinger (Strat clone) played through a Peavy Special 130 reverb amp. However, the next item on my gear list is a Gibson Explorer (ya know, the guitar James Hetflied plays) and a Digitech effects processor

Comment

I put myself through school playing bass guitar in a rock band. I have owned a Dan Armstrong/Ampeg bass guitar (the one with the plexiglass body), a Fender Jazz Bass and a Gibson G-3 bass. My amp was a 100 watt Marshall bass amp (you gotta love the sound of tubes!) with Traynor cabinets, containing 4 15" Altec Lansing speakers. I sold it all just after I got married, I now have a 1970's vintage Gibson B-25 acoustic guitar to play every once in a while. Back in the day, the band I was in (guitar, bass, drums and two keyboardists) did original material, covers and a Pink Floyd tribute.
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I play acoustic guitar. I had a band when I lived in Ohio called Girl Band...I guess we were the undiscovered Dixie Chicks (never heard of them when we formed and named our band).
            We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Comment

I play most of the brass instruments. I was in the active duty Army Band for 9 years and have been in the reserve band for 12yrs now. I tried to learn the bass guitar but after awhile I just didn't have the patience for it.
              Guinness....a meal in a can!
              IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

Wow, I am surprised at getting these posts back. Cool!!!

Anyway, Captain Gonzo, I agree with you 100%. There is nothing like the sound of a tube amp!!!

I have a small Crate Amp that I play electrics through, but most of the music I play is acoustic, as I LOVE the sound of my Martin D35 through my Fender Acoustic Amp. The Amp is 160 Watts stereo (80x80), and has two independent channels.

Other than that, thanks for the posts, and keep em coming.

Take Care and Be Safe
                John Williams
                NRFF1
                City of Clairton
                Fire / EMS

Comment

I noodle around on an Alvarez acoustic and pretty much just try to keep from embarrassing myself. That's tough!

There is just somethin classic about tube amp sound, heard a guy in Memphis putting a dobro through an old Danelectro (I think, I had my beer goggles on) tube, slide blues ya know. Schwing!

<--------on one knee: bgfd, will you marry me? hahaha
                  ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
                  -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Comment

I'm surprised, this many posts and no drummers yet! I've played the same set of red Ludwig Vista-Lites since I was 13. All these years and never had a soundman complain about them once! As far as styles of music, I've done everything from heavy metal to jazz and everything in between. My most recent gig was playing top 40 country for the last five years. I quite the band to work on becoming a career firefighter and I miss it.
                    Uh Oh, not again!!

Comment

I played guitar in a band in high school, using a Gibson Les Paul Jr. (single pickup)and a 1967 Gibson ES-335 TDC through a Fender Super Reverb (pre-CBS) amp.

Still kicking myself (ouch!) for trading that stuff off after I got married and got "responsible".

Now I have a Yamaha SE-something (cheap strat clone), an Arbor (good guitars if you can still find one), and a Gibson L6S that I play through a single 12 Carvin amp.

I'm also playing keyboards...Hammond B3 with dual Leslies plus a Korg X3 through a Randall keyboard amp.

Was playing in a classic rock band around Tulsa for last 5 years or so (50's - 60's oldies band 5 years before that)...band broke up in February, but trying to put another one together at the moment with various remnants of previous bands.

Most fun you can have standing up.
                      Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

Comment

Been playing guitar for about 7 years now on and off. I've got a cheapie old acoustic, and as soon as I'm not a poor college student any more, I plan on buying a new one. Any suggestions for acoustic brands that are high quality but not out-of-the-ballpark expensive? I also dabble in piano, which I've loved since I was 8 years old.
                        "...you're such a gentle soul, it's killing me to know, when will i see your face?" -Vince Gill

Comment

KyraE, to be honest, a Fender or Tacoma is a decent acoustic for the price.

I have played pretty much every type of acoustic guitars, and my favorite is the Martin D35 for sound, quality, appearance etc. Problem with Martin guitars is this: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

My D35 was $1600.00, and it is one of the best Martins out there, however, not the best. If you get a chance, play a Tacoma Acoustic (ballpark $500 - $600), and I feel for the money, that would be your choice. Either way, let me know what you purchase.

Keep the posts coming.

Take Care and Be Safe
                          John Williams
                          NRFF1
                          City of Clairton
                          Fire / EMS

Comment

Two schools of thought on this:
                            1. You look stupid if got a 5K Gretsch and no chops.
                            2. If you buy a 5K Gretsch, you will force yourself to get hella chops. I had to slip in the hella, represent NorCal.

Most of the Fender acoustics I've seen would make a great starter, and I think they all (?) come with pickups. Here they're like 200-400. Whatever you do, buy something you dig the look and sound of. Pick something that speaks to you, that way you'll free it from the confines of its case more often...
                            ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
                            -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Comment

Hey, Capt. Clay!!!

What do you call a person who hangs around with musicians?

A drummer.

(just kidding)

Asst. Chief Bill

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: KillerB ]
                              Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X