This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping my head above water

I recently started Firefighter I/II school. I have to admit I'm a little worried I won't be able to meet the physical demands of the class. I have decent, but not great, upper body strength. Unfortunately, my back has been hurting for about the last month, so I haven't been able to work out like I planned to. Any advice on how to stay positive and increase my strength while attending school (class is four days a week)?

Thanks,
    vol106

just practice the skills that you are being taught. that way you improve your abilities while strengthening only the muscles needed and not hurting your self in the process. Your comment about back pain does concern me. this can be a serious sign or just poor lifting technique. Which ever you should get it corrected as back problems are one of the leading career ending problems. Also it is not the best but remember the person who graduates at the very, very bottom of his medical school class is still called "DOCTOR". so don't kill your self in class. as an instructor ll/lll I would not fault any body for pulling up if your hurt.. Look at that FB quaterback that died yesterday because he pushed to hard.. goood luck writeback if needed. also i have dicussed this with other traing officers and instructors and the FFl/ll class should follow the NFPA class outline and there should be nothing that is very difficult. all things taught are techniques, equipment and knowledge not brute strength exercises.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: GO4IT ]
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
    **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Comment

GO4IT, thanks for the advice. I am seeing a physical therapist for my back (pinched sciatic nerve), and it is getting better with time. I guess deep down I'm worried that I bit off more than I can chew. You know that little voice that keeps telling you "You can't do this"? It's blaring through my head right now. I know that once I start doing the evolutions, I will gain more self-confidence. But we haven't really done anything yet, and not knowing how I will do (anticipatory anxiety) makes it hard to stay positive. I just have to learn how to tell the little voice to shut up.

Thanks again,
      vol106

Yellow Hat or Bust!!

Comment

unless the instructors are sadistic you should have no problems.. what does your PT/MD think about the activites that are showed in the class outline? get their advice on any restrictions that you might have, also the instructors should work with you to complete the class, as the object of the class to teach and help not disable some one. they should be able to tell if you can do the physical job with out making you get hurt further.
        FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
        **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Comment

Make sure your doctor approves of you taking this class - he/she may feel that it is too dangerous and you could rish more serious or permanent injury to your back...and make sure the instructors know about your problem. Often times they will work with you. I have an amazingly large fear of heights and ladders were not my favorite part of the academy...but I told the instructors that up front and they worked with me to get me over some of my fears of climbing the ladders, carrying tools up, etc. Good luck everything. Take care of yourself.
          Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X