This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• age Discrimination?

Police and Fire PERF {public employee retirement fund} has a 36 and under age cut off. If you are older than that you can not apply to the FD. this seems to me to be legalized age discrimination. Any thoughts?
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
    **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

It depends on the department itself. Here you can be hired until age 52 if you can pass the physical and written test. We've had people as old as 46 hired. As long as you can get 8 years on (vested) you have evrey right to try.

The problem is that most people hired after 40 usually end up taking a duty disability and costs our entire pension system. I believe that there should be an age limit set somewhere. Here you must retire at age 60 but again we have no set maximum age for hiring purposes. No one over 50 has ever tried to join. The ones that were 40 and over rarely made it out of the academy.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

Comment

it is discrimination. But what can you do? At age 39,I had to get an excemption to go to work for the DOD as a Federal Firefighter on a military base. They will not hire you over age 35. Exempt from their own laws I suppose. They say you are not able to be a firefighter over age 35 but you can work till 55....does this make sense? I was a GS8 (Captain) and when Wild Bill Clinton closed the base, I could not get reappointed because of my age even though I was already in the system and had been promoted from Firefighter, to Sgt., to Captain.
      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
      ------------------------------
      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
      BMI Investigator
      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

This is a common theme and I hear it in the wildland profession as well. It follows with the law enforcement side as well in federal service. Here the only excuse I've heard is, anyone older than 35 cannot make the minimum 20 years and 55 years old requirement for mandatory retirement under the firefighter/law enforcement retirement system. Obviously there are some physical drawbacks, but the loss of experience and general common sense savy doesn't make this a reasonable system. Right now, the federal union is recommending anyone 35+ to apply for any primary fire job, with a transmittal letter stating they understand the federal retirement requirements, and they will a) accept the loss in annuity at retirement, or b) pay in the amount necessary to bring it up to 20/55. I am amazed at the effort we go to, to simplify our way into trouble. I would rather one 40 year old with heart for the job and common sense than 2-18 year olds with fast acting glands.

Comment

Although its unfair, unfortunately its not discrimination. Prior to the Americans with Disabilities Act, many states such as NJ had 18-35 age limits for Police and Fire Pension and a mandatory maximum retirement age of 65. When ADA passed, it contained provisions to make the age limits illegal, resulting in some 59 year old probies in fire departments. There were provisions in the ADA that expired in 1996, some of them were automatically reinstated, some were repealed. One that was repealed was the allowance for age limits as applied to a bona fide pension plan. Here in NJ, if you can't get in PFRS, you can't be career.

Comment

Originally posted by Halligan84:
            Although its unfair, unfortunately its not discrimination. Prior to the Americans with Disabilities Act, many states such as NJ had 18-35 age limits for Police and Fire Pension and a mandatory maximum retirement age of 65. When ADA passed, it contained provisions to make the age limits illegal, resulting in some 59 year old probies in fire departments. There were provisions in the ADA that expired in 1996, some of them were automatically reinstated, some were repealed. One that was repealed was the allowance for age limits as applied to a bona fide pension plan. Here in NJ, if you can't get in PFRS, you can't be career.
            ADA??? Huh???

Lemme get this straight, so you're saying simply being over 35 or 40 years of age is a disability these days??? I'll be sure to mention that to the 20-somethings on the job who can't keep up with me.

Are you sure you don't mean the ADEA...the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the federal law that is supposed to prohibit this practice?

And BTW, successful lawsuits have been won against public safety agencies who violate the the ADEA.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: NozzleHog ]

Comment

Same here.....I can hang with the best of them...May not be as fast...but will be there when they are in REHAB!
              09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
              IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
              "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
              BMI Investigator
              The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X