This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asthma

Does asthma limit (or eliminate) my chances at entering the fire service? It's fully controlled with a daily inhaler, as well as an albuterol inhaler before physical activity, and I haven't had a serious attack for three years now. Am I out of the running before I even start, or are there FF's with this condition? Thanks for any help.
    "...you're such a gentle soul, it's killing me to know, when will i see your face?" -Vince Gill

To answer your question, no, it doesn't eliminate your chance for entering the fire service. I myself have asthma, I've had it for almost all of my life. I've been a volunteer firefighter for over 10 years now. It has limited me at times due to the severity of mine. Some times I tire easier than I should, but for the most part no problems. I just have to make sure I have my airpack on is all. Now as far as being a career firefighter, I don't know, I can remeber an article a couple years ago about a career FF who lost his job because he had to have his asthma medication with him. The department in question said that if he couldn't go all shift with out it, then he was unfit for duty. I believe there was a lawsuit filed but I don't remember the outcome. So in that aspect it may limit it, you might not be able to get on at a career department, but for the most part, I'd say any volunteer department would be happy to have you. I hope this helps. God bless and stay safe.
    Randall E. Guntrum FF/EMT
    If lights, sirens, and air horns do not attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme.

Comment

Asthma, if controlled, doesn't disqualify you from entering the fireservice either as a volunteer or career Fire Fighter. Just keep in shape and you'll be fine. Put your focus on cardio-vascular workouts and excersizes that will build you stamina and lung capacity.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: GBordas ]

Comment

asthma should not limit you at all, we had a FF who had asthma and at first he took care of himself and he could do everything someone without asthma could do, but then he started smoking drinking and letting his physical condition deteriorate, and now he can do nothing he is restricted by the department for medical reasons. i guess what im trying to say is take care of yourself and you should be able to do the job
        good luck
        9/11/01 forever in our hearts

Comment

I agree with all all but please let the department know of your problem.

Not to keep you out of the department, but so the officers will be aware of your problem incasr you have a problem.

Stay low - Be cool

Comment

I've had asthma for a couple of years now and so far I haven't had an attack on scene or at drill. Most of my attacks are in the mosh pit when there isn't much air and the climate is kinda rough. As for excercise swimming is supposed to be good but I've had the opposite expirience--exhaustion in the pool is more likely than not for me.

Stick with it.

Althea
            Althea Forhan
            FDNY 343:"Forever your power and strength stays with me"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader