Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Old Boys Club"- How Do I Change Their Minds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ottis, this problem is not by any means new to the ff world. One of the best things that our dept. does every year is have our AGM (annual general meeting) at this meeting there is no rank structure within the walls of the room, and everything and anything that is said there is kept within those walls, no exceptions. If you have anything to say whether it be kudos or bitches, you have the oportunity to say it. You have to remember that you will confront the people to which you have a problem so if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question! After the AGM we (the officer core) get together and have a retreat. At this retreat we discuss the things brought up at the AGM and work together to resolve any problems that may have arisen. At the retreat we also bring in a motivational speaker for half the day, there are a number of excellent speakers that are of the paramilitary or fire related in their presentations. We have found these speakers to be very benificial to helping us to move forward as a dept. because they come in with no bias or preconceived opinions of our dept.I see in your profile that you do not have an E address, feel free to email me for more info about this subject.

Comment

OTTIS well I have been there thats How I have the position I have now. Two things happened for me.First I took lots of training, attended a number of seminars and have read countless articles about our firefighting world, that gained respect among the good ol boys. After that I moved into the training officers position, which has the chiefs ear suggesting how we should train. After that I moved into a chiefs position and a bunch of $#it changed after that. No more alchol consumption in the fire station, soon after no more alcohol in the fire station, if you want a beer go up the street and buy it when we are done.The training hours went up and the number of good old boys went down. Also at the meetings where the good old boys thought they had power to run things they ended up getting shot down for stupid remarks and lost the respect they had within the dept.
      The better educated your firefighters are about the buisiness they do the more out of touch those good old boys will definatly look. I dont hardly see any of them now, not that I need to. Take charge yourself or get some allies and pressure them into the way it should be.

Comment

Hiya Ottis. Seems like some bang on responses eh? I like the take it slow approach and pick your battles...slowly start to move up the dept food chain. Once the 'Wind of Change' starts to blow, it's kinda hard to stop it..look what happened in Russia..!! Regards..Pat

Comment

Thanks again for the responses everybody. There are a couple of us sitting here now discussing them!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X