This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Helmet Bands

Hi all! For those of you who use the rubber bands to hold equipment to your helmet, I have some questions.

1. Where did you get the band? Was it pre-made or did you fashion it out of something?

2. Do traditional helmets hold stuff better than the contemporary ones?

3. What do you have stuck in the band?

4. If the band doesn't work for you, what neat ways do you have of carrying needed gear?

Thanks very much!

The band is just an old tire tube.
    Works good for holding a couple of wood chocks.

Comment

Old tire tube from the city garage cut into 1 inch strips.

I have no idea why, seemed like the thing to do. Dosen't hold anything, leather New Yorker is heavy enough.

Comment

I use my band to carry door chocks. Many use them to carry things such as chocks, rubber door lock holders, window punches and garrity lights.
        THE ABOVE REFLECTS MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECTS THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT.

Comment

mine is on a 1010 and it holds a garrity light and a couple of door chaulks, i can`t tell you what it`s made of but if you send me ten bucks i`ll custom make you one for your lid.

Comment

How did I know that would happen?

Comment

Same here, old inner tube from the city garage. All I carry are 2 metal door "chocks". We took one that a few of us bought, and one of the guys who also owns a iron works/welding shop, made a million of them. They work great if you've seen em and never used them. Other then that, I also carry 2 sets of small wood chocks for sprinkler heads, and for doors if I need them quick.
              X, go get an inner tube, try a junkyard, whatever, cut one for you, a few for your buddies, and keep the leftover out of the sun, and you'll have a new supply readily available.
              ---------------------------------------------
              The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

I bought mine from www.helmetparts.com They call it the wack pack. It comes with the strap, 2 plastic wedges, and a garrity light. All for like 7 or 8 bucks. I think things sit better on a traditional helmet. I dont use the garrity light because it sits kinda odd. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Wow, $10 for a 1" piece of old inner tube. With two or three of those big old 10.00 x 20.00 truck tubes that tire companies throw away, I could probably make enough to retire. Because I am not greedy, I'll be selling them for only $9.50 each and a deluxe model (2" wide) for only $17.95 and I'll even include a fact sheet explaining exactly what it is made of. OK everyone line up and place your orders right here. If the demand is big enough I'll see about setting up an online credit card system.

On the serious side, I have a 2" wide one on my NY'r. I carry 2 small wedges and 1 rubber latch strap (made from the same inner tube) in it. I also have one of those firefighter guardian angel pins attached to it.

Comment

I got my tube from Elian Gonzalez... If He got here from cuba on it, a working fire is no match...

Comment

Leave it to a brother from Florida to bring up Elian Gonzalez. Good one Cap!

Paul Conway makes them commercially. They cost $2.00 plus shipping.

Here's the website. Enjoy!
                      www.paulconwayshields.com

It's listed under other products. There's also everything you'd want to hold in place with that.

Stay safe everyone!
                      Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

The WACK PACK?!?!... oh brother!

Comment

Oh Now that is FUNNY!

On my lid, I have 2 thick straps, don't know why, just seemed like the thing to do...maybe in case one busts?

I carry;
                          2 good size door CHOCKS
                          a shove knife
                          a center punch
                          coupl'a golf tees

that seems like a lot... I'm now going to put the shove knife in a pocket!

And by the way...Leather helmets are NOT too heavy....your necks are to scrawny!!!!
                          FTM - PTB

Comment

Mine is on a Ben Franklin. Its 1" with a Garrity, two wedges, and two golf tees.

Comment

I have a new yorker...good old N5A..i got my band out of a old tire tube...I have seen people try to hold items on a metro...they dont seem to work as well. The new yorker or sam houston hold items the best. as for what i hold in mine..garrety light...few golf tees, have a shove kinfe behind my front plate but is held by the band, and used to carry chocks...
                              stay safe...
                              biv

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...