This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second jobs on off days

At our department, we have a rule that says that we can have jobs on our off days, as long as it doesn't conflict with our job with the department. The problem is that we have a firefighter, who lives 120 miles from the station, that has a job with a private ambulance service. The Department is trying to stop him from doing so. They say that if they need him to come in, and he's on a call then he wouldn't be able to do so.(He lives almost 2 hours from work, so the possiblity of him getting called in is very minute.

My question is this: Do your departments allow this, and if they don't, do they give you better pay to make up the difference?
    We are one of the lowest, if not the lowest, paid departments in about a 300 mile radius, so we need our second jubs to suport our families and lifestyles.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

What you do on your own time is your business, not the Department's. If you want to hang around the house or work a second job, that's your choice! As long as you are at work for your scheduled shifts, your employer should have no problem!

My Department has recalls for major incidents. This is from our contract between the City of Marlborough and Local 1714, IAFF under hours and overtime....

Article 5, section 2, subsection C

All employees covered by this agreement who are off duty shall be required to make a reasonable effort to respond to multiple alarms or conflagrations upon the orders of the Chief of Department or such person he shall designate.

Subsection D
    All employees covered by this agreement who are called back to duty shall be compensated for at least 4 hours at overtime rate, in the event that the overtime actually worked is less than 4 hours, they remain on duty for 4 hours.

The key words here are reasonable effort. If you are 120 miles away, it would take an average of 2 hours to come back for a recall. Once recalled, the FD is responsible for your safety. If you get into an accident on your way to the station or to the scene, you should be covered for injury and or death should the unfortunate occur.

In past practice in my Department, once the recall of an incident is in, the clock starts fresh. Some key personnel may be required to stay beyond the recall, but they are compensated at the time and a half rate until they are no longer required. The time frame is rounded off to the next half hour.

I hope this helps!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I agree with Captain Gonzo....what you do on your off time shouldnt matter, we also have a recall but it is not mandatory..caller ID . I also work part time for a smaller city as a firefighter. You think your F.D. is low paying...if you check this months article of Firehouse you will see North Charleston at like i think 3 from the bottom.....I NEED A 2ND JOB!!! lol
      stay safe
      Its not something you do,
      Its something you are.
      "Whether we bring the terrorists to justice, or we bring justice to the terroists...Justice WILL BE DONE"... President Bush
      Engineer
      Engine Co. # 1
      THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ONLY!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X