This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Tees and Nails In the Helmet

Does anyone out there carry nails or golf tees in their helmets like they carry wedges? I'm curious to see who else out there uses them.

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: mamaluke ]

The only thing on my helmet other than my light is a "lucky" nail. I kept it there after coming back from a fire and found it sticking out of the sied of my boot! The nail had gone up throught the bottom, hit the steel shank, and went out the side and totaly missed my foot, other than making a mark on my sock where it had brushed against my it!!.

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: hazmat961 ]
    Mike Pyle
    http://www.uniontownfirefighters.4t.com

Comment

hell I use to carry it all Wedges, golf tee's, flashight, seatbelt cutter...etc etc
      But then I grew up. Now I just got the non-working melted to hell flash light just because.

Comment

A friend of mine used to carry a fork on his helmet.
        "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Comment

I carry a chock, and some nails. Not everyone knows what the nails are for. The most recent thing guys are carrying on their coats is spring-loaded clamps (used for metal studs). They work well on holding doors open(secured to the "butt" side of door), and unlike wood chocks, if the door is banged into, don't come out. Neat little trick!! Stay Safe!!

Comment

Uninformed question: What is the significance of a golf tee? Is it actually useful for something, a "tradition", or seemingly cool?

Comment

Never carried golf tees on my helmet, but I always had a couple in my toolbox. A friend asked me why once, while I was helping him with his car (in the station parking lot - it wouldn't start!).

I told him they were for 1) plugging the vacuum advance line to the distributor, so you could properly set the timing (like anyone has to do that anymore) and 2) for plugging fuel or brake lines (just push it in the end of the line) when doing brake jobs or carb rebuilds (like we do those anymore, either, what w/EFI and ABS!).

About a week later, I was at work, but he went on a call for an MVI/Hazmat, fuel leaking. It was a semi that had been broadsided, saddle tank dented but not leaking, but it broke the metal line going to the engine. Spilling a steady stream of diesel 1/4" in diameter.

He'd put a couple of tees in his pocket. One tee, one smack w/a spanner wrench, and all they had left was the cleanup.

Comment

I carry a few golf tees in my helmet strap.

We use them to prop open doors. The tip of the golf tee is placed in the screwhead of the door hinge of the door side. Then close the door on the tee. It will wedge itself into the screwhead and the head then buts up against the jam. For nails, you want to place the tip into the wood of the door. It is a temporary hold but it works great to prop many doors open to ventilate multi-dwellings or areas that have a lot of doorways. It's not meant to replace the wedges but you can easily carry 5 or 6 tees as opposed to that many wedges on your helmet. I carry a couple of wedges also, one in my coat and one on my helmet.

GB

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: GBordas ]

Comment

I carry a couple of nails, as well as a piece of angle iron with a hook welded to it.(for hanging over the hinges) Beats the crap out of the lumber yard I used to carry in my pockets and on my lid.

Dave

Comment

I used to carry a few golf tees in my helmet strap, but they kept getting lost. They work well for plugging small holes or nicks in residential plastic gas lines. I guess they could be kept in an Altoids tin to keep from losing 'em...
                    Hey, it's MY opinion, not that of my department or peers.

Comment

I never carried anything on my helmet. WE had a guy who carried an assortmaent of nails, including a railroad spike, wedges, 4 door straps and golf tees....What for I ask??? All that metal makes you a walking lightening rod!! TEE HEE.... I personally think it is ridiculous.
                      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                      ------------------------------
                      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                      BMI Investigator
                      ------------------------------
                      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X