X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARFF2/66
    replied
    fdgump49. I the important thing is to follow you SOP/SOG's If you dont have them then your department needs to implement them. However you might want to contact the Secratary Of State for the interpratation of the law on the subject of emergency lights and siren use. I believe that the law here in Illinois states that if you are responding to an emergency and you have emergency lights on then the siren must be activated and working. There has been some good information on this posted here. I find that if you fluctuate(?spelling) the use of your siren you get better response from other vehicles in your way.
    You dont want to be involved in an accident while your responding trust me there was a department near us that was and they where hung out to dry.

Anyway good question.
    Take Care and Stay safe

Leave a comment:

• Eng522ine
    replied
    I agree that most discussions of this sort just turn into a joke of a column full of whackers wanting to mount Q2B's on their cars between their dual strobe bars that they have mounted sideways (you know, gotta be careful in those intersections!). But, I must say that an INTELLIGENT discussion of varying rules and regs is interesting and could prove to be food for thought and make us each think of our own responses.

As far as my dept. goes....

Ambulance:
    Responding: operator/officer's discression

Pt. onboard: lights must be on and siren should be used as NEEDED (not as much as possible)

Engine:
    Responding: lights must be on (except for publis assists) and siren/air horn is used at operator/officer's discression

Returning to station: rear rotators on only

Engineering/Road Tests: no lights

This is just an SOG and actualy practice DOES vary depending on the particular call. I cannot agree more with the fact that discression and common sense will tell you what's best to use when. Stay safe all.

Leave a comment:

• Tw93Andrew93
    replied
    For my area we dont use any lights or sirens for alarm systems.

Leave a comment:

• Firelover
    replied
    Originally posted by Neal_HP105:
    You've got 'em...use 'em
    We were told of an instance where a fire truck was involved in an accident at an intersection, it went to court and they were found negligent because they were not using all the warning signals available to them.
    Our department does leave discretion to the captain, but in most cases they are being used.

Stay safe

It's the same here in Canada, got them, use them! The only people that don't have to have them both on are ambulances, and police. Fire has to have both on..... Mind you I only turn mine on when I see traffic come, or I'm comming up on traffic.... Common sense I guess!

Leave a comment:

• HOTDOG
    replied
    Amen 108_1019. You said what I was trying to say so much better.

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: HOTDOG ]

Leave a comment:

• Ten8_Ten19
    replied
    I know it's been beat to death but I've just gotta throw in my two cents too. If you blow a stop sign or red light without slowing and making eye contact with any vehicles in sight you deserve to get hit and I don't care how many bells and whistles you have going. The time you save is never going to be worth getting someone hurt or killed.

I run lights only as often as I can, wailing sirens don't thrill me at all. If someone hits me it won't be because I wasn't operating with "due regard".

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: Ten8_Ten19 ]

Leave a comment:

• HOTDOG
    replied
    Talk about beating a horse to death. I thought he was dead long ago.

Use good common sense. When sirens are warranted, use them. No need to wake the city when it is not neccessary, even if you need to blow the siren to get off. Geez.

For those of you who think lights and sirens give you all rights to the road, think again before blowing through the red light or stop sign.

And no, no one wants to hit anything, much less a van load of children. People are so unpredictable and sometimes sirens complicate it even worse. Drive for a while and you will see that.

So long as we all use the right head to think with, keep the rig in total control at all times, and drive defensively this pettyanny bs can stop!

Leave a comment:

• tim1204
    replied
    We run response level guidelines. Fire alarms are started out as a nonemergency response unless an update from occupant or police reveals a fire or emergency condition. In that case it is lights and sirens. Service calls are nonemergency, and lights dont go on unless units have to stand in traffic. For emergency calls after 22:00 most drivers will not use sirens unless going through and intersection or traffic is encountered. This has worked well for us.

Leave a comment:

• firefighterbiv2335
    replied
    TCmib379...finally someone that see;s my point...The only reason i am a firm beliver in the make as much noise as you can theroy, is that one of our vehicals were hit by a car while going thur an intersection...all the did was give a little "woop woop" going thru, no horns. I know i dont wanna do the stack of paper work, police report, or even worse hurt someone. TCmib379...belive me,once we are on the road..the Q is screaming, horns blasting..and the electric is going...i know i dont wanna get hit. As for my eailer statment..the "if we are up they are up" i do not get on everything for the sake of waking people up...if we are comming up to an intersection i will tap the horns or Q ya never know if that drunk or just plain stupid driver is gonna be messing with there stero or chatting on the phone and blow the stop sign or light... Well once again these are just my thoughts

Leave a comment:

• Firemt47
    replied
    Our department does not have and SOG's for this. I belive that you need to use common sense. When I go to a call at 2am the lights go on and I stop at all stop signs and traffic lights (RED) to make sure that they are clear. Why should I wake up the whole world for a stupid call. If there is a lot of traffic the sirens will go. During the day I use the siren more but still use common sense.

Leave a comment:

• Grit
    replied
    In the lovely state of MD, if you are not using lights & an approved audible device, you are not an emergency vehicle.

The funny thing is, audible devices include bells.

If you get in a wreck, you better be leaning on the Q...... or the bell..... always wanted to do a full response with bell only. Still witing for the opportunity.......

Leave a comment:

• TCmib379
    replied
    Look fellas state law in Va as cfr3594 said is to be utilized... We have a Dept. in our area that sometimes does'nt even use them on bust street packed day runs... I say if its Emer. Traffic if the truck hits the road hit the wailers!!! As for my man firefighterbiv2335 SHAKE THEIR GUTS OUT!!!

I personally would hate ti T-bone a van full of children...

So to fdgump49 ask the engineer if he would like to hit that van load of kids the evening!!!

Leave a comment:

• TRicker
    replied
    In NY, when running hot to a call, an "audible device" must be sounded when proceeding past a red light, stop sign, etc.
    Does this mean that you stand on the siren button?? Could be if the intesection is blind and there is traffic there at the time you proceed through. It might be necessary at two o'clock in the morning. Otherwise with no vehicles near the intersection a simple sounding of the air horns or quick activation of the siren meets the requirement of the law.

COMMON SENSE applies here

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: TRicker ]

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    Common sense is the key. but, most state have laws governing emergency vehicles and their responses. Most have that "with Due Regard for the Safety of Others" statement in there. Along with that most offer some "exceptions" to emergency apparatus as long as automatic audible warning devices and emergency lights are displayed. Hence...The Q2B or the Air Horns (even though I love em...) are not "automatic" Yes....at 2 AM it is a bit different...but..have an accident or hit someone or let them hit you and see if some lawyer dont ask the first question..."Were your audible warning devices sounding?" The driver/Engineer should drive and the OIC or shotgun firefighter should use the warning devices... I usually would set the electronic siren and then use the air horns and Q2B at intersections or in heavy traffic. True...we must know who else is responding and check for them in intersections.... On incidents where we knew another engine would be close we would announce on radio "Eng X approaching 123 street"

The "if I am up..everyone should be up" adage is a bit outdated....but often we all feel that way...

Also..remember.....air horns are made to be stutter..not hold down on them and also...the Q2b is designed to be more effective if used up and down as opposed to standing on it to peak it out...at that point...it loses its penetration..

Were you standing on it?

Leave a comment:

• Ggg
    replied
    Maybe the engineer was trying to listen for another unit while approaching an intersection? or the radio? As far as the "if we are up they are up" stuff; you will loose that idea real quick when you **** off the Mayor,Alderman,etc. at the wee hours in the AM and have one of those closed door meetings the next shift. Use common sense and respect.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X